To Protect and to Serve II

When a cop has two seconds or less to make a decision on whether to use deadly force they are not thinking about the parameters of a lawsuit three years later.

What people do not get about qualified immunity is a) it is qualified, meaning it is not automatic; and b) it does not foreclose other kinds of lawsuits or actions. On the latter, even if a cop gets QI on a federal civil rights claim he and his city or agency can still be sued for all sorts of state law torts, negligence, battery, etc.

Folks that do not understand this (and that's most of them) incorrectly say it allows the officers to act with impunity, with no liability, with no repercussions. And that is flat out wrong.
most people who speak on this topic are rather uneducated in the actual definitions, court cases, procedures and laws of WHY and HOW things are, they would rather focus on their feelz and that one bad cop that smarted off to them once

most people who speak on this topic are rather uneducated in the actual definitions, court cases, procedures and laws of WHY and HOW things are, they would rather focus on their feelz and that one bad cop that smarted off to them once

It is a discussion on that side of the issue led by the plaintiff's bar. By the lawyers who make money off of the cases and who (all too) loosely explain to people why certain kinds of claims will not be successful. And it is a hot topic in the civil libertarian crowd at the moment, see e.g. Justice Thomas' writings on the subject.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
When a cop has two seconds or less
Granted, the cop in Ohio that shot the girl that had a knife had a no time to react. Chauvin had 8.5 minutes. The guy that shot Daniel Shaver had about as much time as Chauvin. The majority of these situations are instances where these cops run on the scene and they just react without looking over the scene and evaluating ETF is going on.

Granted, the cop in Ohio that shot the girl that had a knife had a no time to react. Chauvin had 8.5 minutes. The guy that shot Daniel Shaver had about as much time as Chauvin. The majority of these situations are instances where these cops run on the scene and they just react without looking over the scene and evaluating ETF is going on.

And guess what?

Had it not settled and suit actually filed, Chauvin would not have gotten qualified immunity. The officer in Ohio would.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
And guess what?

Had it not settled and suit actually filed, Chauvin would not have gotten qualified immunity. The officer in Ohio would.
I think you are missing the point. I'm not speaking necessarily about specific cases, only using them as examples of a general trend. The general trend is that most of these cops are not making split second decisions. I guess we can go back and forth over particular anomies or anecdotal situations, but most of the cases post in this thread are situations where cops had plenty of time to use a little bit of logic and figure out a reasonable outcome. That's all we're saying.

No, if the people breaking in announce themselves as the police, you are supposed to comply.

I guess we have to take there word for it? If your door was kicked in at 3am and someone yelled "cops" and you threw your gun down - you'd feel pretty silly if'n it wasn't actually the cops but a home invasion wherein the bad guys saw your post about "supposed to comply" on VN PF.

ItZ dA RuL3z!

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Based on everything I've seen, the most uneducated folks on the definitions, court cases and the law - are cops. And it's why we keep having this discussion, as evidenced by the fact that they keep ending up at the defendant's table.

I guess we have to take there word for it? If your door was kicked in at 3am and someone yelled "cops" and you threw your gun down - you'd feel pretty silly if'n it wasn't actually the cops but a home invasion wherein the bad guys saw your post about "supposed to comply" on VN PF.

ItZ dA RuL3z!
That's not me saying to do that. Its the Blue Lives Matter crowd in here saying you should just comply if you hear the people announce themselves as police.

Last edited:
Based on everything I've seen, the most uneducated folks on the definitions, court cases and the law - are cops. And it's why we keep having this discussion, as evidenced by the fact that they keep ending up at the defendant's table.
All 20 of them out of 500k

It is a discussion on that side of the issue led by the plaintiff's bar. By the lawyers who make money off of the cases and who (all too) loosely explain to people why certain kinds of claims will not be successful. And it is a hot topic in the civil libertarian crowd at the moment, see e.g. Justice Thomas' writings on the subject.
The system is ****.
It allows bad cops to stay on the job.
Drs carry insurance. When they F up the insurance pays. Too many F ups means the bad Dr can’t get insurance to cover them and eliminates bad Drs. doing away with QI and going to an insurance system for cops goes a long way towards getting rid of the bad apples. The department can still pay the insurance bill. Studies show that it would also save the departments money long term. You say they are not thinking about QI in those situations. I’m saying if they are in a system where they can lose their livelihood for poor performance then maybe they will start to think about what they’re doing.

I now return you to your normal dipshitery.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Imagine this person teaching your kids.

Meh, rude driver. Entitled driver. Driver that jumped to conclusions. Driver didn't seem to have the ability to de-escalate the situation. Driver feeling like their life was in jeopardy. Driver is a "hero" that works for the govt (assuming she is a public school teacher). Uhh... I have mixed feeling about this.

The driver was immature but at the same time, everything I mentioned above is how far too many of these cops act or feel.

NYPD officer Killed in hit-and-run by Cop-Hating drunk-driver is posthumously promoted to detective as wife pays tribute to the 'love of my life' at his Funeral while comforting their Two Sobbing Children

The NYPD cop killed in the line of duty by an apparent drunk driver who filmed herself saying 'f*** the police' and downing shots of alcohol before embarking on a deadly hit-and-run has been posthumously promoted to detective at his funeral.

Hundreds of mourners gathered Tuesday morning to pay their respects to NYPD Highway Officer Anastasios Tsakos at St. Paraskevi Greek Orthodox Shrine Church in Greenlawn, New York, as his grieving widow Irene gave an emotional tribute to the 'love of my life' and the 'awesome dad' to their two young children.

His 6-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son watched as their father's casket was carried out of the church by NYPD pallbearers to be greeted by a sea of law enforcement.

He was redirecting vehicles following a separate fatal car accident in Queens when Beauvais' car allegedly veered and struck him head-on, hurtling him around 200 feet. He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Beauvais, who was allegedly intoxicated and driving with a suspended license at the time, sped away from the scene with a 'completely shattered' windshield before being stopped by police.

Police said she was almost double the legal alcohol limit at the time and later confessed to drinking wine, vodka and smoking marijuana before getting behind the wheel of her car.

Hours before the fatal encounter, Beauvais posted a rambling video of herself on Facebook Live where she said police officers are 'signing up for potential death' as part of the job and boasted about carrying a knife while drinking unknown liquids throughout the footage.

She now faces 13 charges including manslaughter in the second degree, aggravated manslaughter in the second degree, vehicular manslaughter in the second degree and leaving the scene of an incident without reporting/death. She faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

42569544-9542311-The_officer_s_wife_and_two_children_gathered_for_the_service_His-m-52_1620156176569.jpg

NYPD Highway Officer Anastasios Tsakos's wife, Irene, and their two children - daughter, 6, and son, 3 - gathered for his funeral service on Tuesday. His grieving widow gave an emotional tribute to the 'love of my life' and 'awesome dad'

42569520-9542311-image-a-24_1620153326557.jpg

Mourners become emotional as they bid farewell to the veteran cop at his funeral service Tuesday in New York

42304694-9542311-image-a-9_1620161910554.jpg

32-year-old Jessica Beauvais, of Hempstead, pictured in mug

NYPD cop is posthumously promoted to detective at funeral after he was killed by 'drunk driver' | Daily Mail Online

Meh, rude driver. Entitled driver. Driver that jumped to conclusions. Driver didn't seem to have the ability to de-escalate the situation. Driver feeling like their life was in jeopardy. Driver is a "hero" that works for the govt (assuming she is a public school teacher). Uhh... I have mixed feeling about this.

The driver was immature but at the same time, everything I mentioned above is how far too many of these cops act or feel.

VN Store

Back