To Protect and to Serve II

When they convict that piece of dog sh*t, he needs to be put in general population. I have a feeling he will make many new friends there.

War on drugs... If we didn't have that a lot of these issues would be moot. Just think, planting drugs, no knock raids, civil asset forfeiture, tinted window and air freshener traffic stops... all would go away or be nonissues.

How Pa. troopers use sweating, stuttering during traffic stops to launch vehicle searches | Spotlight PA

“If an individual who said they had nothing illegal in the vehicle says, ‘No, I don’t want you to search my car,’ it could be an additional indicator [of illegal activity],” the officer, who was not identified, said in the video.

“Are the roads safer because you stopped someone because of an expired tag or an air freshener?” asked David Harris, a law professor at University of Pittsburgh who specializes in police training. “Traffic stops are the most common interaction police have with Americans and also they can be dangerous.”

Troopers have also been trained in recent years to look for more than 50 “criminal indicators,” including high car mileage, if the car is a rental, any amounts of money in the car, audible sighs, or if the driver is being overtly cooperative, according to an unofficial form obtained by Spotlight PA.

High car mileage and cash are criminal indicators? High mileage cars and cash are staples of the poor. Most poor people don’t use a bank or can afford a newer car. This sounds like more of an attack on lower income citizens who cannot hire an attorney to fight frivolous and trivial laws. By these standards I’m a criminal because my daily driver has 150k miles on it.

Tax collection at its finest.

High car mileage and cash are criminal indicators? High mileage cars and cash are staples of the poor. Most poor people don’t use a bank or can afford a newer car. This sounds like more of an attack on lower income citizens who cannot hire an attorney to fight frivolous and trivial laws. By these standards I’m a criminal because my daily driver has 150k miles on it.

You said it.

Do you understand qualified immunity? I've litigated the issue hundreds of times in every context you can think of, including shootings. I feel confident in saying that officers making the decision to shoot do not mull over qualified immunity as part of that process.

Maybe they should start.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
You could argue the no-knock warrant was unnecessary, but the officers shooting back when shot at is not

When people's homes are broken into in the middle of the night, is protocol to ask for resumes and references first?

Bingo.

Maybe they should start.

When a cop has two seconds or less to make a decision on whether to use deadly force they are not thinking about the parameters of a lawsuit three years later.

What people do not get about qualified immunity is a) it is qualified, meaning it is not automatic; and b) it does not foreclose other kinds of lawsuits or actions. On the latter, even if a cop gets QI on a federal civil rights claim he and his city or agency can still be sued for all sorts of state law torts, negligence, battery, etc.

Folks that do not understand this (and that's most of them) incorrectly say it allows the officers to act with impunity, with no liability, with no repercussions. And that is flat out wrong.

VN Store

Back