To Protect and to Serve II

Why is it either of the two extremes? Are we have to chose from is either no police or keep the police we have now? Really???

How about police reform?

Police reform would be good, probably needed. What worries me are cities getting rid of the police altogether and hire “private security forces.” What standards would these forces be held to? What happens if something happens with a security force personnel and an unarmed person?

Police reform would be good, probably needed. What worries me are cities getting rid of the police altogether and hire “private security forces.” What standards would these forces be held to? What happens if something happens with a security force personnel and an unarmed person?
With private security, if an incident occurs, there would be liability and consequences unlike the current security monopoly.

That cop is a major league ass wipe. Being super aggressive and condescending.

Law abiding citizens “have we broken a law?”

Tyrant cop “that’s what I’m trying to determine now give me your ID” “why are you filming me while I violate your rights?”

While murders, rapes, and assaults are occurring this cop is wasting tax payers money harassing law abiding citizens practicing their protected second amendment right.

Why is it either of the two extremes? All we have to chose from is either no police or keep the police we have now? Really???

How about police reform?
I have no interest in going there.... I don’t know anyone that wants to go there.... it has nothing to do with the police.

That cop is a major league ass wipe. Being super aggressive and condescending.

WTH? They are literally doing nothing wrong. Just grabbing lunch. And who was the yahoo lecturing them about stirring stuff up?

I was in Walmart the other day and they was a guy open carrying while grocery shopping with his wife and kid. It didn’t look like one single person cared.

WTH? They are literally doing nothing wrong. Just grabbing lunch. And who was the yahoo lecturing them about stirring stuff up?

I was in Walmart the other day and they was a guy open carrying while grocery shopping with his wife and kid. It didn’t look like one single person cared.
I was waiting for one of them to tell the guy Karen to go F himself

I have no interest in going there.... I don’t know anyone that wants to go there.... it has nothing to do with the police.

I want to go there.
I want every single complaint investigated by someone outside the police department and presented to a panel of citizens for determining of fact. Just like a grand jury. If the boys in blue couldn’t police themselves (and cover for each other) then the standard of behavior would definitely increase.

I’ve said that before and was told “nothing would ever get done by the police if we did that “. If the police behavior is so horrible that oversight would shut them down then we obviously need to do it. They need to do better

Reactions: Tyler Durden
I want to go there.
I want every single complaint investigated by someone outside the police department and presented to a panel of citizens for determining of fact. Just like a grand jury. If the boys in blue couldn’t police themselves (and cover for each other) then the standard of behavior would definitely increase.
I was talking about visiting the city

I want to go there.
I don’t disagree with this but are these panels allowed to affect policy?

Look at George Floyd. Apparently, kneeling on someone’s neck is a sanctioned practice for Minneapolis PD. We could probably go back through this thread and find lots of practices that you or I would say are unreasonable but which officers are trained are ok.

Are we going to punish the individual officer for things that their employer says are ok, or will 9/10 cases end with a determination that the officer was compliant with department policy but their policy is bad?

Haven’t really thought this through, but maybe have yearly elections for neighborhood representatives that are divided up the way you elect school board members or city councilmen, maybe even smaller districts, to increase accountability to voters. Instead of apportioning representation by population, give the areas with the most crime the greatest proportional representation, so it’s not Signal Mountain and Northshore voters who are rarely confronted by police, telling the police how they should treat people in Highland Park. Force policy decisions that affect the community to pass this body and break it up into panels of 3, 5, or 7 to do those reviews. Just a thought.

I don’t disagree with this but are these panels allowed to affect policy?

Look at George Floyd. Apparently, kneeling on someone’s neck is a sanctioned practice for Minneapolis PD. We could probably go back through this thread and find lots of practices that you or I would say are unreasonable but which officers are trained are ok.

Are we going to punish the individual officer for things that their employer says are ok, or will 9/10 cases end with a determination that the officer was compliant with department policy but their policy is bad?

Haven’t really thought this through, but maybe have yearly elections for neighborhood representatives that are divided up the way you elect school board members or city councilmen, maybe even smaller districts, to increase accountability to voters. Instead of apportioning representation by population, give the areas with the most crime the greatest proportional representation, so it’s not Signal Mountain and Northshore voters who are rarely confronted by police, telling the police how they should treat people in Highland Park. Force policy decisions that affect the community to pass this body and break it up into panels of 3, 5, or 7 to do those reviews. Just a thought.
We will absolutely punish those things that are unlawful even if the department has said it’s ok. The department doesn’t determine the law. They are to operate with in the law.

Reactions: davethevol
That would be even better if regular citizens even understood the law

They’re good enough to be on juries.......
Maybe they understand it better than those who are supposed to enforce it. Self policing clearly isn’t working. They should be subject to the people they’ve sworn to serve.

They’re good enough to be on juries.......
Maybe they understand it better than those who are supposed to enforce it. Self policing clearly isn’t working. They should be subject to the people they’ve sworn to serve.
The problem is you say “self policing” isn’t working, but the number of illegal deaths caused by police is extremely low. Are you saying the goal is to wipe it out completely because that’s impossible in any profession

The problem is you say “self policing” isn’t working, but the number of illegal deaths caused by police is extremely low. Are you saying the goal is to wipe it out completely because that’s impossible in any profession

Derp.
Everything is fine. There’s nothing going on anywhere that would indicate there might be a problem with the police and justice.

I suspect that number would change dramatically if someone other than the police were responsible for the investigation.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
That would be even better if regular citizens even understood the law

I think regular citizens understand that kneeling on someone’s neck as they scream I can’t breathe isn’t lawful.

This is part of the problem. Just like politicians most cops believe they are above the law and don’t answer to the citizens who put them in their position.

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Do you think it just about illegal deaths by police?

What about the corruption? The harassing? The violation of constitutional rights? The beatings?

There’s more carnage than just the illegal deaths inflicted by police.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I think regular citizens understand that kneeling on someone’s neck as they scream I can’t breathe isn’t lawful.

This is part of the problem. Just like politicians most cops believe they are above the law and don’t answer to the citizens who put them in their position.
No I support citizen and police cooperation but as evident with many of the protestors and posters on here, we still have some that don’t understand the law at all. We have people that argue police should never shoot at anyone unless they get shot at first

Do you think it just about illegal deaths by police?

What about the corruption? The harassing? The violation of constitutional rights? The beatings?

There’s more carnage than just the illegal deaths inflicted by police.
Again you are talking about 1-2% of every law enforcement officer and they usually get what’s coming to them if they really are doing that stuff

We will absolutely punish those things that are unlawful even if the department has said it’s ok. The department doesn’t determine the law. They are to operate with in the law.
Ok. But what about the conduct that isn’t illegal but is unacceptable? Im also thinking that there are police-specific statutes behavior that make things that are illegal for you and me not illegal for police.

I like your idea. Not arguing against you. Just curious about the lengths you’d go to.

VN Store

Back