'20 TN WR Holden Willis (USF commit)

I appreciate what DE1 is saying. My son as a non athlete but good student and thought he wanted to go to UT. He qualified for some of the higher scholarships UT had and the Hope. Other schools offered him him full tuition and money to be in the band. We could have figured out a way to pay for it. Grew up a UT fan, but at end of the day, made no sense to pay UT that much money when he could go somewhere else for 20% of the cost. And UT ain't cheap. The University of Tennessee - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

agree. We are pretty much the same here minus the band. Ours is at UT Chattanooga for half the cost

It's not that what you're saying is negative. It's that every one of your responses refuses to even acknowledge that what you're saying is opinion, not fact, and therefore, is not right or wrong. People are allowed to disagree with your opinion.
Don’t you love it when people do that? It’s almost like they think if they yell it loud enough you’ll give up or something. Just saying, no one cares about the fact you’re super connected or you think you’re something cuz you know stuff. Like oooooooh, nobody gives a fat shi*, dude. Don’t get all defensive and cocky. That’s what causes people to tune you out. Opinions are like stinky buttholes, everyone has one & it’s normal. Sheesh. *mic drop*

Why do ppl keep saying 1 semester? There's nothing saying a PWO get a scholarship after 1 semester. Some of these kids go 2 or 3 years. He and his family I'm sure don't want to waste money when the kid can save the sacrificial lamb period and just go somewhere and be debt free. I don't think many of you commenting think clearly the purpose of football in hs is. To gain a FREE ride not PAY in hopes of a FREE ride if/when it comes. This train of thought is why our country is in a world of debt to China and its called waste and stupidity.
Just curious what your thoughts about Trey Smith deciding to play one more year instead of going pro? It’s kinda the same thing passing up the big league contract, taking a chance getting injured. Is his decision stupid?

Reactions: LittleVol
Just curious what your thoughts about Trey Smith deciding to play one more year instead of going pro? It’s kinda the same thing passing up the big league contract, taking a chance getting injured. Is his decision stupid?

Part of the reason he came back was because it was recommended by the draft commission. Another year of proving the health issues are under control and he’ll stand to make a lot more next year.

I appreciate what DE1 is saying. My son as a non athlete but good student and thought he wanted to go to UT. He qualified for some of the higher scholarships UT had and the Hope. Other schools offered him him full tuition and money to be in the band. We could have figured out a way to pay for it. Grew up a UT fan, but at end of the day, made no sense to pay UT that much money when he could go somewhere else for 20% of the cost. And UT ain't cheap. The University of Tennessee - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

You went about your analysis and your decision process the right way and reached a decision that was right for your entire family. Many of us are hoping that when the Willis family completes their analysis that being a member of the football team is important enough to take the risk and accept the PWO offer. I would have walked on nails to be a Vol, but my 4.5 20 yard dash eliminated my football prospects and my 4 inch vertical leap pretty much ended my BB career. I was second string on my HS intramural team. There are thousands of kids dealing with PWO offers and they all have to do the analysis. Dollars are important, but not the only factor in risk reward analysis. I have no idea what their out of pocket cost for him to be a VOL is. Hope the net number allows him to wear ORANGE IF IF IF that is really important to him. If not I wish him well at the school of his choice.

I guess all the private high schools are going out of business soon since you can go to high school for free at the public ones. How do they find all these ignorant families willing to pay for something that they can get for free elsewhere?

Is it time that Vol Nation starts an academic scholarship program for PWO’s from Tennessee that deserve a scholarship even after NCAA’s hard cap of 25? Vol Nation could find one kid per year. We would cast votes and donate $20 per member. Because The State of Tennessee already has the Lottery Scholarship we could just pay the remaining balance and it wouldn’t be the full tuition amount.

Reactions: StoVol
Is it time that Vol Nation starts an academic scholarship program for PWO’s from Tennessee that deserve a scholarship even after NCAA’s hard cap of 25? Vol Nation could find one kid per year. We would cast votes and donate $20 per member. Because The State of Tennessee already has the Lottery Scholarship we could just pay the remaining balance and it wouldn’t be the full tuition amount.

I am curious about the impact of the LIKENESS opportunities down the road. Can you imagine Pilot stations paying to use PWO faces to advertise each store? How about Dish and Sling using current players instead of historical footage in their commercials. Could local ORANGE shops use a player or two while the higher profile guys deal with more national driven accounts? How about paying for happy parents likeness as well. Only have to fund 25 or so players. Big timers will be much more competitive, but roster for depth expanding could become a real factor. Smaller businesses can free up the national companies to concentrate on the upper crust. Going to be fun to watch. Especially for guys like Willis.

`

Bc that is not what the staff does.... everything has to be earned.... why would he promise a scholarship to a kid that he is not sure is worth it?

So you know for a FACT that Coach has never promised a schollie to a PWO in the next cycle?

So you know for a FACT that Coach has never promised a schollie to a PWO in the next cycle?

I’m sure it has happened in the history of football but Pruitt has shown he doesn’t play those games.... He has probably listed goals for the PWO’s that if they reach then they can EARN a scholarship.

How can you promise this?
Have you played college football? Have you ever been recruited to play college football? I'm asking because this is very basic knowledge if you have. Do you even understand what a PWO offer is?

Bc that is not what the staff does.... everything has to be earned.... why would he promise a scholarship to a kid that he is not sure is worth it?
Cause you’ve only got 25 a year to give. When you’re flipping your roster you need more, especially with the transfer portal getting a few each year. PWO’s don’t count against any year’s 25 if placed on scholarship, only against the 85 total. We put 3 freshmen PWO’s on scholarship from last year IIRC. Don’t recall that ever happening before.

Have you played college football? Have you ever been recruited to play college football? I'm asking because this is very basic knowledge if you have. Do you even understand what a PWO offer is?

Being a jack wagon doesn’t make your position any stronger. I’m not claiming to have inside knowledge here. I’m just recognizing the newish yearly scholarship limitations are tough on a program trying to flip the roster. You can’t go all Houston Nutt or even Jones’s first couple classes and sign several over 25. I’m suggesting the possibility that any coaching staff might consider what’s being suggested under today’s current limits. If you’re 25 are already promised and there’s a couple more Guys you like then this might be an option.

Reactions: Devo182
Cause you’ve only got 25 a year to give. When you’re flipping your roster you need more, especially with the transfer portal getting a few each year. PWO’s don’t count against any year’s 25 if placed on scholarship, only against the 85 total. We put 3 freshmen PWO’s on scholarship from last year IIRC. Don’t recall that ever happening before.

Rules chnge all the time, but I read sometime in the past that a player had to be around for 2 years to not take up an Initial Counter if added. Mainly a PWO just guarantees a fall roster spot and allows them to report at start of practice and not have to wait till fall sessions are enrolled to join practice.

Rules chnge all the time, but I read sometime in the past that a player had to be around for 2 years to not take up an Initial Counter if added. Mainly a PWO just guarantees a fall roster spot and allows them to report at start of practice and not have to wait till fall sessions are enrolled to join practice.
Rule changed last year. Now they only have to be on campus a year to not be an initial counter.

Reactions: Devo182
Being a jack wagon doesn’t make your position any stronger. I’m not claiming to have inside knowledge here. I’m just recognizing the newish yearly scholarship limitations are tough on a program trying to flip the roster. You can’t go all Houston Nutt or even Jones’s first couple classes and sign several over 25. I’m suggesting the possibility that any coaching staff might consider what’s being suggested under today’s current limits. If you’re 25 are already promised and there’s a couple more Guys you like then this might be an option.
I'm not being a "jack wagon". When posed with the question of "How can I promise that our coaching staff didn't make promises to a kid being offered a PWO spot?", I answered accordingly. I say accordingly because to me that notion is preposterous. So let me apologize to you, because that has more to do with me than it does you. I make certain assumptions sometimes about the working knowledge or level of experience that people have in the RF. There are a lot of people here that are current or former players, coaches, trainers...etc. This is why I stay away from the FF, because of the lack of just basic football knowledge is so rampant (not directed at you). I forget sometimes that someone doesn't have to know the ins and outs of college recruiting to have interest and love of Vols recruiting as a fan. So again, I apologize and maybe I did come across as a "jack wagon" with my response.

PWO’s don’t count against the 85 either. That’s the maximum allowed on SCHOLARSHIP.

Reactions: appvol and jakez4ut
I'm not being a "jack wagon". When posed with the question of "How can I promise that our coaching staff didn't make promises to a kid being offered a PWO spot?", I answered accordingly. I say accordingly because to me that notion is preposterous. So let me apologize to you, because that has more to do with me than it does you. I make certain assumptions sometimes about the working knowledge or level of experience that people have in the RF. There are a lot of people here that are current or former players, coaches, trainers...etc. This is why I stay away from the FF, because of the lack of just basic football knowledge is so rampant (not directed at you). I forget sometimes that someone doesn't have to know the ins and outs of college recruiting to have interest and love of Vols recruiting as a fan. So again, I apologize and maybe I did come across as a "jack wagon" with my response.
To surmise, we’ve learned today that no random message board poster can “promise” a roster move will or will not happen. 😏

Reactions: jakez4ut
No to both of your first two questions and I still know what’s involved in a PWO offer. You gonna football shame us on how to properly wear a jock strap next?

VN Store

Back