'20 TN WR Holden Willis (USF commit)

Why do ppl keep saying 1 semester? There's nothing saying a PWO get a scholarship after 1 semester. Some of these kids go 2 or 3 years. He and his family I'm sure don't want to waste money when the kid can save the sacrificial lamb period and just go somewhere and be debt free. I don't think many of you commenting think clearly the purpose of football in hs is. To gain a FREE ride not PAY in hopes of a FREE ride if/when it comes. This train of thought is why our country is in a world of debt to China and its called waste and stupidity.

The one semester is to find out if he needs to stay or transfer elsewhere. I have no idea what the staff committed to him, do you? Also important in any decision.

The one semester is to find out if he needs to stay or transfer elsewhere. I have no idea what the staff committed to him, do you? Also important in any decision.
I promise you the staff didn't commit to putting him (or any PWO) on scholarship after one semester or even on year.

Reactions: de1conley
This argument comes down to how much the kid believes in his own ability. If he thinks he can earn a scholarship then why not give his dream a chance? If he thinks the risk is too high then he has other opportunities.

If UT handles the relationship right... you could still see him back at UT in the future if he went FCS.

Reactions: m1al
I promise you the staff didn't commit to putting him (or any PWO) on scholarship after one semester or even on year.

That's my point @bigl3327 smdh these ppl are crazy. The goal in life is to incur the least amount of debt and a debt free life and me saying just take a feee ride is considered a negative.

A counter to doing it this way is go somewhere establish yourself and then do the grad transfer like the kid at Bowling Green whonwent to Bama. To me loans are not an option @ all. No matter the amount big or small. Its not settling its just making the best business move. Not just with this kid but any kid in this situation.

That's my point @bigl3327 smdh these ppl are crazy. The goal in life is to incur the least amount of debt and a debt free life and me saying just take a feee ride is considered a negative.
Doesn't make what you say a negative. I get your philosophy here and it's not wrong. On the other hand not everybody thinks the way you do and that doesn't make them wrong. It makes them different.

We all agree the kid should get a free education and we all agree they should do the grad transfer route.

But us Vol fans just want all the players, especially when our walk ons are 3 stars. We want the best competition and that includes the walk ons. When someone comes in and says “he should go somewhere other than UT” that doesn’t sit well with some Vol fans.

Doesn't make what you say a negative. I get your philosophy here and it's not wrong. On the other hand not everybody thinks the way you do and that doesn't make them wrong. It makes them different.
You explained this better than I did lol

It's not that what you're saying is negative. It's that every one of your responses refuses to even acknowledge that what you're saying is opinion, not fact, and therefore, is not right or wrong. People are allowed to disagree with your opinion.

The whole can you afford it thing, it's called student loans. Everyone besides athletes have to do it for the most part. Reason why I feel no sorrow for athletes that get a free ed, better care in regards to food/ therapy/ tutoring. In a business, the CEOs make more than the workers. No difference in sports.
But if it’s between student loans or free education at a major university why not take the free education... student loans are a huge problem for many people

Reactions: BreatheUT
this this this... sometimes all people see on this forum is their own personal wants or interests, it’s not a negative it’s seeing things without orange colored glasses.

this this this... sometimes all people see on this forum is their own personal wants or interests, it’s not a negative it’s seeing things without orange colored glasses.
Not so much to do with "orange colored glasses" as it does differing opinions.. Neither of which are wrong.

Reactions: LittleVol
Not so much to do with "orange colored glasses" as it does differing opinions.. Neither of which are wrong.
Sure but the one opinion is with a strong pro-tennessee bias... nothing wrong with that but some take a stance that the kid might be an ass just because he doesn’t choose a PWO over a full ride

We all agree the kid should get a free education and we all agree they should do the grad transfer route.

But us Vol fans just want all the players, especially when our walk ons are 3 stars. We want the best competition and that includes the walk ons. When someone comes in and says “he should go somewhere other than UT” that doesn’t sit well with some Vol fans.

But its selfish to say hey come here and walk on. I want whats best for the kid. No debt and to go have fun playing versus tryna prove himself for something that might never happen @m1al @TrippieRedd i care about kids more than a team or fandom.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga

Its definitely fandom and orange tinted glasses because some of the suggestions such as student loans are absurd. Only a fan would even remotely suggest that.

But its selfish to say hey come here and walk on. I want whats best for the kid. No debt and to go have fun playing versus tryna prove himself for something that might never happen @m1al @TrippieRedd i care about kids more than a team or fandom.
I know you care about the kids, never doubted that. Leaving my fandom at the door my point is that, of the two prevailing opinions, both have merit and neither is wrong. Ultimately it is the the kid and his families decision and whatever decision they make should be respected and supported.

I was just explaining how other fans may feel.
I think every kid should take a scholly, regardless of level competition. I’m actually agreeing with you.

Its definitely fandom and orange tinted glasses because some of the suggestions such as student loans are absurd. Only a fan would even remotely suggest that.

It might be fandom but not necessarily ORANGE colored.. The thougts would be applicable to any kid who lived within 30 miles of any colored school who had opportunities to walk on at the home school or take a free ride at lower level or tiered school. Do you risk taking the cheaper route and run the risk of having a great career elsewhere and having to live with the what if's for the rest of your life. Hometown fans would love to have one of those fairy tale endings, but will accept whatever a loyal family decides. Some of us will not give any other fan a free shot at challenging their intelligence if they decide to go for the dream, whether it works to the max or not. The most cost effective alternative has no guarantees either.

I have no idea what 5 or 6 round trip tickets to say New Orleans, motels and meals will cost, and maybe having to buy a new vehicle for the kid to drive that far would cost, but got a pretty good idea what gas for the 30 mile drive from Greenback would be. His proximity to UT is a factor just like it would be for a kid from Memphis even though they would have the same tuition. Too many moving parts for any absolute positions on this issue.

Only thing is if the best educational option for what he actually wants to major in is not available for where he gets a free ride, for example let’s say engineering then that academic aspect could come into play. But, if that’s not the deal, get the free education. JMO

But if it’s between student loans or free education at a major university why not take the free education... student loans are a huge problem for many people
Bc I'm not the kid. If he wants to play at ut then he has to pay. Pretty simple. I was stating the obvious choice he had to take a loan and pay his way. Worked out for mayfield.

It might be fandom but not necessarily ORANGE colored.. The thougts would be applicable to any kid who lived within 30 miles of any colored school who had opportunities to walk on at the home school or take a free ride at lower level or tiered school. Do you risk taking the cheaper route and run the risk of having a great career elsewhere and having to live with the what if's for the rest of your life. Hometown fans would love to have one of those fairy tale endings, but will accept whatever a loyal family decides. Some of us will not give any other fan a free shot at challenging their intelligence if they decide to go for the dream, whether it works to the max or not. The most cost effective alternative has no guarantees either.

I have no idea what 5 or 6 round trip tickets to say New Orleans, motels and meals will cost, and maybe having to buy a new vehicle for the kid to drive that far would cost, but got a pretty good idea what gas for the 30 mile drive from Greenback would be. His proximity to UT is a factor just like it would be for a kid from Memphis even though they would have the same tuition. Too many moving parts for any absolute positions on this issue.
Wth are you talking about? Anything discussed in this thread is UT and Willis related so. So the opinions here of the masses are seen thru orange tinted glasses. And again when I spoke on Tulane that was exclusively speaking about Orleans Darkwa. Most ppl say this kid should choose APSU based on his offers there or Jacksonville St are great options and play championship FCS football.

I appreciate what DE1 is saying. My son as a non athlete but good student and thought he wanted to go to UT. He qualified for some of the higher scholarships UT had and the Hope. Other schools offered him him full tuition and money to be in the band. We could have figured out a way to pay for it. Grew up a UT fan, but at end of the day, made no sense to pay UT that much money when he could go somewhere else for 20% of the cost. And UT ain't cheap. The University of Tennessee - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

VN Store

Back