‘23 TN SDE Nathan Robinson (Tennessee commit)

Then why say anything negative at all?

The coaches evidently like him well enough to take his commitment now.

I feel pretty confident in saying that everything you listed as being a "negative" the coaches have already thought through.

And you're trying hard to say that you're NOT being negative, but I can't see where you've offered a congratulations yet to the young man. Just remarks stating that you think it was a mistake taking his commitment.
He's just an ole sourpuss is all

Reactions: Glitch and VOLSONLY
The best thing is we have a staff that knows what they are doing, who to recruit, and how to develop players that fit our system/schemes. No more Dools, Botch or Cornbread to screw it up. We are good here. This kid is a handful and is only going to get better and stronger.

His recruiting profile listed him at 250. Looking at the roster, Bumphus is 290, Philips is 295, Bailey is 270, so 20+ pounds would help if he's going to play EDGE. It was posted elsewhere that he's gained a lot of good weight, but my original post was using his recruiting profile.

247 has him listed at 6-5, 268lbs, If correct he is arguably bigger than Aidan Hutchinson right now. This dude has a crazy frame and could probably put on another 30-50lbs in my opinion.

If you're going to call me a clown, go ahead and chime in instead of just lobbing insults with nothing to back it up. Every single recruiting cycle we take guys with poor offer lists early and every single cycle some guys get filtered out late in the process. All I said was I think we should hold off on taking guys who have weak offer lists until later in the cycle when we know what numbers look like AND we know more about the player (like senior film and senior injuries). The coaches disagree with my take (as did basically everyone on the planet) which is fine. I'm not paid to recruit or coach football, nor do I claim to do either. I am entitled to an EXTREMELY MINOR opinion on recruiting strategy.

If you can point me to where I said any of the following, I'll happily eat my words:

I never said I thought he was a bad player
I never said the team was crazy for taking him
I never said he's a 3* so he's bad
I never said Rodney Garner doesn't know how to evaluate talent
I never said RG shouldn't want this kid

I said I think it's early based on his offer list, his listed weight, and the time of year. This is the most sensitive board on the planet.

I understand what you're saying but my view is that everyone has few offers at some point. The best evaluators are the ones on top of them 1st. I don't know if that's the case here but we will see.

Ya, I don't think UK is the worst offer to have, but one step inside Neyland should sell any kid who's toured grocery chain field up in Lexington.

He hasn’t played his sr yr yet. People, if he has a good sr yr, he’s gonna blow up. Tennessee would be battling OSU, Mich, etc. No one on this board has the credentials to question Rodney Garner.

If you're going to call me a clown, go ahead and chime in instead of just lobbing insults with nothing to back it up. Every single recruiting cycle we take guys with poor offer lists early and every single cycle some guys get filtered out late in the process. All I said was I think we should hold off on taking guys who have weak offer lists until later in the cycle when we know what numbers look like AND we know more about the player (like senior film and senior injuries). The coaches disagree with my take (as did basically everyone on the planet) which is fine. I'm not paid to recruit or coach football, nor do I claim to do either. I am entitled to an EXTREMELY MINOR opinion on recruiting strategy.

If you can point me to where I said any of the following, I'll happily eat my words:

I never said I thought he was a bad player
I never said the team was crazy for taking him
I never said he's a 3* so he's bad
I never said Rodney Garner doesn't know how to evaluate talent
I never said RG shouldn't want this kid

I said I think it's early based on his offer list, his listed weight, and the time of year. This is the most sensitive board on the planet.
Just out of curiosity, did you know who he was before today?

Reactions: StoVol
Offer list is weak, needs to add some weight to contribute at EDGE where he's rated, and yes, as @TheMookieMonster pointed out, it is my opinion that you don't take a guy who is the 400th+ ranked player a year in advance of signing day if your only competition is Vandy and Kentucky.
Our staff has watched and evaluated this kid in person over a few years now. You left out Mississippi by the way. 😆They are recruiting who they are interested in and who they think can contribute. Garner nor any of our staff is looking at the rankings of players by guys that aren’t even as knowledgeable as they are. It isn’t some strict guide on who they can recruit. GBO!

Our staff has watched and evaluated this kid in person over a few years now. They are recruiting who they are interested in and who they think can contribute. Garner nor any of our staff is looking at the rankings of players by guys that aren’t even as knowledgeable as they are as some strict guide on who they recruit. GBO!
In @Probably_in_Class defense, I may be mistaken, but, I don't think he's mentioned rankings one time...if I'm wrong, I apologize. He's talked offer list, mostly.

Now, against him, under his counsel, we wouldn't have taken Squirrel White's commitment...or, we never would have tried flipping Kaleb Webb from EAST CAROLINA.

In @Probably_in_Class defense, I may be mistaken, but, I don't think he's mentioned rankings one time...if I'm wrong, I apologize. He's talked offer list, mostly.

Now, against him, under his counsel, we wouldn't have taken Squirrel White's commitment...or, we never would have tried flipping Kaleb Webb from EAST CAROLINA.

Not that it matters now, but he complained about TN’s coaches taking a player in the “top ~400” if you want to scroll back to early this afternoon. But your other points have merit.

True TN fans should never crap on the day of a kid’s announcement, there’s plenty of time for armchair QBs and keyboard recruiting experts to critique a few years down the road IF a kid doesn’t pan out.

His recruiting profile listed him at 250. Looking at the roster, Bumphus is 290, Philips is 295, Bailey is 270, so 20+ pounds would help if he's going to play EDGE. It was posted elsewhere that he's gained a lot of good weight, but my original post was using his recruiting profile.
Gotcha, it’s well known to those that listen to local recruiting media he’s put on 30 pounds and could add more. The staff was already interested but since he added weight and visited proving it the staff has made him a priority

Not that it matters now, but he complained about TN’s coaches taking a player in the “top ~400” if you want to scroll back to early this afternoon. But your other points have merit.

True TN fans should never crap on the day of a kid’s announcement, there’s plenty of time for armchair QBs and keyboard recruiting experts to critique a few years down the road IF a kid doesn’t pan out.
No matter what, no matter what...ALWAYS going to have someone wake up and say, "yep, I'm gonna be that guy today". I am convinced, on the night we win the SEC here in about 2 to 3 years, there will be someone, either here or in the FF, still talking about Butch Jones and Jarrett Gaurantano, and blaming it on their "BVS".

Reactions: SoilVol
Kid has performed well at all the camps. Fast feet and great balance. Has several friends that are top prospects in TN too. Well liked by all.

Reactions: CABVOL
For anyone yawning before he’s listed as a 3* in some circles, linemen on both sides are very difficult to project coming out of HS. McKenzie was a can’t miss that missed. Same for those 2 5* OL from Georgia that hit the portal yesterday.

Your program is in bad shape if you need a trench player in your rotation for the first season and a half that he’s on campus. Look at what Garner did for Butler in one season. He might be the first Vol drafted this year. Let this kid develop.

247 has him listed at 6-5, 268lbs, If correct he is arguably bigger than Aidan Hutchinson right now. This dude has a crazy frame and could probably put on another 30-50lbs in my opinion.
Wow he’s already being compared to the best defensive end in college football last year. Optimism runs wild with some of these recruiting posts. But I sure hope you are right.

Reactions: CJBlaze

VN Store

Back