‘23 TN SDE Nathan Robinson (Tennessee commit)

I didn't criticize the player. I didn't say taking guys with weak offer lists was terrible. I even qualified by reiterating it was my opinion. So what exactly are you whining about?

I don't think it's a smart strategy to take low rated, poor offer list guys, this far in advance. If you want to disagree with that, try adding something to the discussion instead of just tossing out nonsense insults.

Last edited:
Normally I'd chime in on this clown but other than him having a relatively uneducated opinion and questioning RG wanting this kid isn't good enough it seems y'all have a handle on the situation. I still took a little shot but hey couldn't help myself lol.

I didn't criticize the player. I didn't say taking guys with weak offer lists was terrible. I even qualified by reiterating it was my opinion. So what exactly are you whining about?

I don't think it's a smart strategy to take low rated, poor offer list guys, this far in advance. If you want to disagree with that, try adding something to the discussion instead of just tossing out nonsense insults.
RG is super high on him and has been for a while. AP and others have been saying it for a while. It’s really smart to get kids to sign before they blow up. Also, he has a lot of leadership and charisma which will help in recruiting.

Can you please explain your argument about being too light?

Why???
Why do we have to have the same discussion every time a 3* commits?
If you don’t like 3*s then just come around for the 4 and 5.
This is the 247 definition of Robinson’s ranking range: “A high three-star (87-89): is considered a player with significant NFL upside who expect to be an impact college football player.”

Fit
Robinson has an impressive wingspan and shows phenomenal quickness with his lateral steps. He is amid a great growth spurt, which will allow him to couple his quick first step with his long frame. He bends well and the added weight will allow him to leverage against SEC tackles. He should only add more weight over time. He will play as a 5-7 tech at Tennessee, but even at that, he should still be athletic enough to stand up and rush the passer as he improves his pass rush set under Rodney Garner.

Impact Rating
This is a big commitment for Tennessee. The Vols have wanted to keep Robinson in-state for a while, and they were able to do so. They beat out two SEC foes, both of which have recruited well in recent years. Robinson is familiar with a lot of Tennessee's other in-state prospects and is comfortable with getting in their ear about joining him on Rocky Top. He is most comfortable with Caleb Herring, who has been one of the top targets inside of the state for the Vols staff since they arrived on Rocky Top. Robinson brings more than just being a peer recruiter. His play speaks for itself. He is a versatile prospect who can fit multiple roles over his time at Tennessee. There are no off-field worries as he clearly handles his business. This is a nice addition for Rodney Garner and the Vols.

Impact Report: Vols Add High Quality DL in In-State Standout Nathan Robinson - Sports Illustrated Tennessee Volunteers News, Analysis and More
This explains it better than I ever could. You also have to consider that our recruiting is blowing up and we are in on some very highly ranked guys. That means if they’re taking him then he is also worthy of a high ranking. Get ready for the RG bump

Normally I'd chime in on this clown but other than him having a relatively uneducated opinion and questioning RG wanting this kid isn't good enough it seems y'all have a handle on the situation. I still took a little shot but hey couldn't help myself lol.

If you're going to call me a clown, go ahead and chime in instead of just lobbing insults with nothing to back it up. Every single recruiting cycle we take guys with poor offer lists early and every single cycle some guys get filtered out late in the process. All I said was I think we should hold off on taking guys who have weak offer lists until later in the cycle when we know what numbers look like AND we know more about the player (like senior film and senior injuries). The coaches disagree with my take (as did basically everyone on the planet) which is fine. I'm not paid to recruit or coach football, nor do I claim to do either. I am entitled to an EXTREMELY MINOR opinion on recruiting strategy.

If you can point me to where I said any of the following, I'll happily eat my words:

I never said I thought he was a bad player
I never said the team was crazy for taking him
I never said he's a 3* so he's bad
I never said Rodney Garner doesn't know how to evaluate talent
I never said RG shouldn't want this kid

I said I think it's early based on his offer list, his listed weight, and the time of year. This is the most sensitive board on the planet.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
If you're going to call me a clown, go ahead and chime in instead of just lobbing insults with nothing to back it up. Every single recruiting cycle we take guys with poor offer lists early and every single cycle some guys get filtered out late in the process. All I said was I think we should hold off on taking guys who have weak offer lists until later in the cycle when we know what numbers look like AND we know more about the player (like senior film and senior injuries). The coaches disagree with my take (as did basically everyone on the planet) which is fine. I'm not paid to recruit or coach football, nor do I claim to do either. I am entitled to an EXTREMELY MINOR opinion on recruiting strategy.

If you can point me to where I said any of the following, I'll happily eat my words:

I said I think it's early based on his offer list, his listed weight, and the time of year. This is the most sensitive board on the planet.
Why don’t you write another essay to tell us how sensitive we are…

Why don’t you write another essay to tell us how sensitive we are…

Dude, we're all on the same team. I don't have any ill will towards the kid, nor have I said the coaches are crazy for taking him. You're now one of the like 50 people replying to my short posts about a recruit in April, so yes, I stand behind my statement.

I'm not reading your word vomit thanks.

And our counter argument was that we closed a steal of a player before he blows up, so just let that be and move on. You understand what we think, we understand you think it's too early but we disagree, we're not impugning your character. We used to be able to disagree in this country before everyone retreated to their echo chambers and stopped debating

Now people take it as an affront to have their opinions challenged

RG is super high on him and has been for a while. AP and others have been saying it for a while. It’s really smart to get kids to sign before they blow up. Also, he has a lot of leadership and charisma which will help in recruiting.

Can you please explain your argument about being too light?

His recruiting profile listed him at 250. Looking at the roster, Bumphus is 290, Philips is 295, Bailey is 270, so 20+ pounds would help if he's going to play EDGE. It was posted elsewhere that he's gained a lot of good weight, but my original post was using his recruiting profile.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
And our counter argument was that we closed a steal of a player before he blows up, so just let that be and move on. You understand what we think, we understand you think it's too early but we disagree, we're not impugning your character. We used to be able to disagree in this country before everyone retreated to their echo chambers and stopped debating

Now people take it as an affront to have their opinions challenged

If you're done talking about it, why are you still replying then? I am defending my position when people ask. I'm not retreating to an echo chamber. It's a discussion forum. I'm just here having discussions...

His recruiting profile listed him at 250. Looking at the roster, Bumphus is 290, Philips is 295, Bailey is 270, so 20+ pounds would help if he's going to play EDGE. It was posted elsewhere that he's gained a lot of good weight, but my original post was using his recruiting profile.
So like I said originally. You were making an uneducated opinion, it's not mine or anyone else's job on this board to do the research for you and these sites go through months without updating things. Just be careful in the future with relying solely on them when forming an opinion and posting it. We all do it from time to time and I didn't mean to upset you just having some playful fun. Go Vols!

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
If you're done talking about it, why are you still replying then? I am defending my position when people ask. I'm not retreating to an echo chamber. It's a discussion forum. I'm just here having discussions...
I'm talking about it because I can. Your defense is an interminable effort. I'm trying to save u an exercise in futility but carry on my wayward son

Then why say anything negative at all?

The coaches evidently like him well enough to take his commitment now.

I feel pretty confident in saying that everything you listed as being a "negative" the coaches have already thought through.

And you're trying hard to say that you're NOT being negative, but I can't see where you've offered a congratulations yet to the young man. Just remarks stating that you think it was a mistake taking his commitment.

VN Store

Back