‘23 TN SDE Nathan Robinson (Tennessee commit)

62535370a167c.image.jpg

Green Hill sweeps Wilson County Championships

Greenbrier three-star lineman Nathan Robinson commits
Greenbrier rising senior and three-star defensive lineman Nathan Robinson announced his commitment to Tennessee Monday morning.
Robinson chose the Volunteers over Kentucky and Ole Miss, which were among his three finalists. He thanked his coaches, faith and family in a statement on social media.
“They instilled and maintained in me a love for the game that has taken me further than I ever would’ve thought,” he said.

“I’m blessed to be able to say that I will be committing to the University of Tennessee!”
Robinson, Tennessee’s sixth commitment from the 2023 class, is the No. 15 recruit in the state and a top-50 defensive lineman nationwide, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

He totaled 88 tackles, 21 tackles for loss and 16 sacks as a junior and was named The Connection’s 2021 Defensive Player of the Year.

“He has great feet and great hands,” said Greenbrier football coach John Elmore. “He understands how to take on blockers and how to get off of them. Once he makes contact as far as tackling, he’s a sure tackler.
“He is going to be an SEC-level player.”

I didn't criticize the player. I didn't say taking guys with weak offer lists was terrible. I even qualified by reiterating it was my opinion. So what exactly are you whining about?

I don't think it's a smart strategy to take low rated, poor offer list guys, this far in advance. If you want to disagree with that, try adding something to the discussion instead of just tossing out nonsense insults.
Garner who has coached one or two beasts wants him and that is good enough for me. Should be good enough for most who don’t get paid to coach the game.

Offer list is weak, needs to add some weight to contribute at EDGE where he's rated, and yes, as @TheMookieMonster pointed out, it is my opinion that you don't take a guy who is the 400th+ ranked player a year in advance of signing day if your only competition is Vandy and Kentucky.
the competition was Kentucky and Ole Miss. 270 is good size for an DE. He is rated higher than 71% of our 2022 class and had 23 sacks last year. He's a pretty good get

Fit
Robinson has an impressive wingspan and shows phenomenal quickness with his lateral steps. He is amid a great growth spurt, which will allow him to couple his quick first step with his long frame. He bends well and the added weight will allow him to leverage against SEC tackles. He should only add more weight over time. He will play as a 5-7 tech at Tennessee, but even at that, he should still be athletic enough to stand up and rush the passer as he improves his pass rush set under Rodney Garner.

Impact Rating
This is a big commitment for Tennessee. The Vols have wanted to keep Robinson in-state for a while, and they were able to do so. They beat out two SEC foes, both of which have recruited well in recent years. Robinson is familiar with a lot of Tennessee's other in-state prospects and is comfortable with getting in their ear about joining him on Rocky Top. He is most comfortable with Caleb Herring, who has been one of the top targets inside of the state for the Vols staff since they arrived on Rocky Top. Robinson brings more than just being a peer recruiter. His play speaks for itself. He is a versatile prospect who can fit multiple roles over his time at Tennessee. There are no off-field worries as he clearly handles his business. This is a nice addition for Rodney Garner and the Vols.

Impact Report: Vols Add High Quality DL in In-State Standout Nathan Robinson - Sports Illustrated Tennessee Volunteers News, Analysis and More

Last edited:
Who says it's a waste? 🤔
I'm not. I probably didn't do a great job of expressing myself. Someone earlier was arguing that they should not have take his commitment at this point.

IF a staff does take a commit early from someone whose potential is depth and not something more then that could constitute the waste of a spot needed for a better player.

Personally I think this kid looks pretty good. If I had to guess, I'd say the staff thinks interest in him will take off this summer and fall.

VN Store

Back