'19 TN RB Eric Gray

And we were "late" in offering him relative to other big time programs. I feel like that's a bigger deal, because we are the home state school, than it is for other programs coming in from elsewhere.

I think kids feel slighted sometimes when they have offers from everywhere and the home state school comes in later with an offer. That seems to be a bigger problem for Tennessee kids than most anywhere else. LSU can offer a LA kid on the eve of signing day and pull most of them.

kid is 2019 and we offered late. You see where all this is headed right?

kid is 2019 and we offered late. You see where all this is headed right?

I'm aware of your stance on the early offers/commits. Point being, a dozen schools offered before his home state school did. There's a chance that he finds that offensive. See Max Wray.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that Tennessee was late to the party relative to their peers and that certainly won't help us in this recruitment. Whether it hurts remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm aware of your stance on the early offers/commits. Point being, a dozen schools offered before his home state school did. There's a chance that he finds that offensive. See Max Wray.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that Tennessee was late to the party relative to their peers and that certainly won't help us in this recruitment. Whether it hurts remains to be seen.

Oh well if a sophomore feels jilted by the home state school not offering early enough then see ya.

Oh well if a sophomore feels jilted by the home state school not offering early enough then see ya.

I agree with this Newt. It's a little ridiculous. I can see feeling slighted if we waited until a month or two before NSD, but 2 years out is NOT late.

And the fans/boosters will just accept it and hugs for all. Talented kid wants to commit just let him...not that difficult.

Reactions: 1 person

As much as I didn't think that Dooley was smart about recruiting he was the first major coach to offer Vonn Bell but that didn't work out. Probably because he didn't put in enough work after the offer.

As much as I didn't think that Dooley was smart about recruiting he was the first major coach to offer Vonn Bell but that didn't work out. Probably because he didn't put in enough work after the offer.

Dooley didn't even know who Vonn Bell was.

He put no work in after the offer. I've talked to someone close to Vonn who said they were never contacted by Dooley after the offer. Not once.

And the fans/boosters will just accept it and hugs for all. Talented kid wants to commit just let him...not that difficult.

Pretty much this. If the kid wants to commit and he's high on the board you take the commitment. Just don't be upset if he decides to look around at some point. It's not really make or break that far out.

Apparently we will miss on this one because we didn't make him one of our priority middle schoolers.

"Get back to me after you drop your lil tramp off from the prom! I'll see if I can take kir of your edjumacation. "

-Coach Froggy Dogbottom, HC State U, 1971

He put no work in after the offer. I've talked to someone close to Vonn who said they were never contacted by Dooley after the offer. Not once.

Correct. At mid season all the coaches pretty much stopped recruiting. Hinshaw totally quit on the job at that point per several, wasn't he the RC?

Back on topic, sounding like he's in love with Michigan after a recent camp there.

Said Michigan and Tennessee are his top schools right now, per Callahan. Plans to visit for the UGA game.

“It was unbelievable.”

“I feel pretty good about Tennessee,” said Gray, who won Tennessee’s Division II-A Mr. Football back award last year as a sophomore. “Actually getting to talk to Butch, that was a big deal because, when you go in there, the head coach is the one that makes the calls.

Reactions: 11 people
This kid is the real deal. First game all year he’s been eligible (state championship) and he goes off.

Was fun to watch tonight. Vol lean too. Next staff will have yet another badass instate RB to recruit early

VN Store

Back