'22 TN QB Luther Richesson

VOLUNTEERSZN

The Original #WRU

Luther Richesson, 2022 Pro-style quarterback - Rivals.com

Before this thread melts down, I am fully aware we have a QB committed, BUT..

Kid absolutely cooked GAC (Addison Nichols team) last weekend. AP mentioned on the pod that if Tennessee or another P5 school were to take a 2nd QB then this guy would be at the top of the list for some. With the inevitable rule change of the 25 number being bumped up based on portal losses, it wouldn’t surprise me to see UT (and quite a few other P5 schools) offer him after that change is official.

And for the “we dont need to take more QBs” crowd, remember we’ll be down to 2 scholarship QBs after this season.. and that’s IF Bailey doesn’t transfer out. Never stop recruiting QBs.. gotta have at least 4 on the roster imo. If we end up getting back all those extra scholarships, use one here and boost the competition some

Kid absolutely cooked GAC (Addison Nichols team) last weekend. AP mentioned on the pod that if Tennessee or another P5 school were to take a 2nd QB then this guy would be at the top of the list for some. With the inevitable rule change of the 25 number being bumped up based on portal losses, it wouldn’t surprise me to see UT (and quite a few other P5 schools) offer him after that change is official.

And for the “we dont need to take more QBs” crowd, remember we’ll be down to 2 scholarship QBs after this season.. and that’s IF Bailey doesn’t transfer out. Never stop recruiting QBs.. gotta have at least 4 on the roster imo. If we end up getting back all those extra scholarships, use one here and boost the competition some

If you’re not counting Jackson in the bolded statement, who are you referencing? Milton most likely comes back unless he has an epic season.

Milton has 3 years, and Hooker has 2 years of eligibility counting the Covid year.

Milton has 3 years, and Hooker has 2 years of eligibility counting the Covid year.
Hooker is absolutely leaving if Milton holds the starting job all year. Bailey might too, although I think it would be right for him to stay. I’m assuming Milton is developed into an NFL guy after 2 and bolts. He’ll be on draft boards for his size and arm alone.

Looks like a smart accurate player that has good touch. If the scholarship limit gets lifted it would definitely be worth kicking the tires

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Hooker is absolutely leaving if Milton holds the starting job all year. Bailey might too, although I think it would be right for him to stay. I’m assuming Milton is developed into an NFL guy after 2 and bolts. He’ll be on draft boards for his size and arm alone.
AP said he didn’t think Hooker would transfer because he would have to go down to FCS to get instant eligibility

I think the portal changes the game. IIRC there was something ridiculous like 120 QBs in the portal this year.

I agree you always want competition at QB but I’m all for taking a high school kid each year and supplementing with portal guys as necessary.

Because as I see it, you’re not gonna take two true freshman each year and have both stick around 3-4 years. If a kid comes here he thinks he’s gonna be the man, and as soon as he gets beaten out by the other kid in his class, he’s hitting the portal.

One thing to keep in mind is the better your offense is and proves itself the more likely it is a kid sticks around to wait their turn. If Milton has big yr I think he jumps to NFL. He has already been in college for awhile. He will jump when his stock is high knowing he will blow away scouts in personal workouts to keep stock climbing. So I think Hooker and Bailey would be wise to stick it out.

I agree with your reasoning, however I find it hard to jump on a guy with only one game played. In this case, the team he played my have been a whole new/young team as their guys last year (who were obviously good) may have been a senior laden squad leaving a whole rebuild.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
I agree with your reasoning, however I find it hard to jump on a guy with only one game played. In this case, the team he played my have been a whole new/young team as their guys last year (who were obviously good) may have been a senior laden squad leaving a whole rebuild.
He had a very good junior year as well. And was in the Elite 11. Trust me, I thought he was just getting a token visit to the E11 because Trent Dilfer was his HC, but his junior year film looks REALLY good

Reactions: savannahfan

If he’s worth it you always make the offer!

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
That's not really much of an option for Hooker unless he drops down in competition. He doesn't have time to transfer.

If Bailey isn't in the top 2 then it would make sense for him to find a place where he can win the job.

I think Hooker still gets his one time transfer with immediate eligibility because he was a graduate transfer. I could be wrong though.
Doesn't appear. Only if they originally transferred from a school that discontinued the sport, it appears. The graduate transfer was the one time transfer. That is, there's no separate "grad transfer" rule anymore. It's all the same rule now and you only get 1. He could apply for a health or other special waiver though, like before. Those are still in the bylaws to circumvent the residency requirement.

14.6 Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation. A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the same institution from which the student-athlete previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a studentathlete who has graduated and is continuing as a full-time student at the same institution while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable fiveyear period set forth in Bylaw 12.8 (see Bylaw 14.2.2.1.5). (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 7/31/14)

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A student-athlete who is enrolled in an institution other than the institution from which the student-athlete previously received a baccalaureate degree and is enrolled in a graduate or professional school, is seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree, or is enrolled as a full-time student while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of a major or degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student-athlete fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10

14.5.5.2.10 is the new one time exception and one must meet all of its requirements...foremost being:

"(a) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);"

It seems nobody's getting 2 free transfers, unless they qualify for a special waiver on the 2nd transfer.

Reactions: bigl3327

VN Store

Back