'24 TN OT Jesse Perry (Tennessee)

Seems like teams like OSU, Bama, Michigan, Clemson, Texas, UGA and many others don’t have many problems projecting OL.
agreed. OT recruiting seems to be tough for us. along with RB.

perhaps there content with projects and transfers? just when you're staring dead red at top 10 class you should be able to get a highly rated OT

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Thing is… when Butch was here we all boomed these types of commitments.

Then when Butch left, we all were glad we were done taking 260lb tackle projects.

And now we’re back to acting excited about taking a 260lb tackle.

If you’re just gonna be a cheerleader, so be it.

Considering the offensive line prospects were in on - Calhoun, Easley, Westphal, Calloway, etc - it makes little sense to take this commitment now.

I’ll bet a buffalo nickel that this kid and Gunther end up in the high 3 to low 4 star range (that should make the star gazers somewhat happy)…

I would think that Elarbee has earned our trust at this point but I guess not…the man not only turned Wright’s entire career around but he made a JUCO and a transfer into serviceable options at LT in less than one year of coaching them…if these are the guys he wants (which is evident by taking them this early) then I believe they are absolutely worth taking

You can’t teach relentless effort, which is what we need in our lineman. Not many Wright size tackles have that instinctually as they’ve relied on their size to beat people in high school. It sounds like they’ve found a diamond in the rough, who is athletic enough to quickly learn the right technique.

OL is the hardest and last unit to fully be evaluated in a recruiting cycle. too much growth happening at once, not enough time spent with the body at 16 years of age and 300 lbs.

with the rest of our class looking like elite top 250 types, I tend to look at OL and judge based on offers (especially the style offense they run/OL coach) and film. watch the feet, watch the lateral quickness, watch the ability to make quick reads on defenders. Spraggins a great example of a road grading bully who was a low 3 star few offers but GREAT run blocking film and fast feet, who has picked up on our offense extremely well and will play in the NFL after he's done here.

this kid is very good, even if the tape is limited on pass pro.

as per usual, take every recruiting eval with a grain of salt. develop your own eye and watch the film. I like both this and the Ginther pickups. We also are in on some top 250 OL who we will land, but to start with these two at OG and OT. And with Ronan (if we get) would be huge. Talented bunch

Last edited:
OL is the hardest and last unit to fully be evaluated in a recruiting cycle. too much growth happening at once, not enough time spent with the body at 16 years of age and 300 lbs.

with the rest of our class looking like elite top 250 types, I tend to look at OL and judge based on offers (especially the style offense they run/OL coach) and film. watch the feet, watch the lateral quickness, watch the ability to make quick reads on defenders. Spraggins a great example of a road grading bully who was a low 3 star few offers but GREAT run blocking film and fast feet, who has picked up on our offense extremely well and will play in the NFL after he's done here.

as per usual, take every recruiting eval with a grain of salt. develop your own eye and watch the film. I like both this and the Ginther pickups. We also are in on some top 250 OL who we will land, but to start with these two at OG and OT with Ronan (if we get) would be huge. Talented bunch
Spraggins is a great example. No one was recruiting him when we offered. He came to camp as a guest of a visitor.

Spraggins is a great example. No one was recruiting him when we offered. He came to camp as a guest of a visitor.
And Pruitt only took him as a package deal to get his “4 star” teammate who turned out to be wallpaper. Just like when Fulmer took Denarius Moore to get Lennon Creer back in the day, but Moore ended up being the actual player between the two.

as per usual, take every recruiting eval with a grain of salt. develop your own eye and watch the film. I like both this and the Ginther pickups. We also are in on some top 250 OL who we will land, but to start with these two at OG and OT. And with Ronan (if we get) would be huge. Talented bunch
agree with this. i think OL and QB are the two hardest positions to project...so many factors to be considered. offensive system? other personnel around that player? what are these players being asked to do do, play in/play out, game in/game out? do we really understand what their responsibilities are in any given situation? level of competition? i mean for most high schoolers, a 6'5" 300lb offensive linemen should be dominating most all the time. but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a result of great habits and technique...he's 6'5" 300lbs. lol. anyway, i think for those reasons and others, as has always been said, OL is/should be, considered a developmental position for probably 95% of the high school prospects out there. there's always a select few...that buck that trend.

like you said, there's certain fundamentals that if they bring to the table, the rest can be taught, conditioned and trained.....

also, people bringing Butch type OL recruiting into this discussion are misguided-- his system didn't require the agility, stamina, and general requirements ours does, hence why we recruit a 275 pound player with the intent to gain weight and keep speed of play high. Butch wasn't running this or even close to this offense

I’m curious as to how Brian Grant progresses, he was a DL that we recruited as a skinny OT. Patrick Brown said he was up to 320 LBs., but will get limited snaps this year as he technically 3rd team OT at best. Perry is considered by the coaches to be way more athletic, hopefully he can add the needed weight.

& yes we recruit 330+ pound OL out of H.S/juco -- have you watched the tape? we have a specific type of player that works well in this offense...

Feel like quentin tarantino talking about feet, but I hope some of you get the point. the sooner you get on board with recruiting decisions being based on the success of the team and the systems that operate such teams, instead of recruiting rankings, you'll be happier. Yes, UGA, Bama, OSU all end with the top 3 in rankings every year, they do so because they take guys early on who get massive bumps because UGA Bama & OSU are WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES & surely a winning program wouldn't take a 3 star unless they believed they had quality to provide. Much of our production this year came from 3 and 4 stars. Very soon the exact same players will be 4 and 5 stars because of the TN bump.

I’d venture to say that with our current ol the staff may be feeling like they need to take a larger class there this year. Nothing wrong with taking a project or two. That said with us leading for plenty of high profile players, it’s hard to imagine us taking all three of Oconnell, Perry, and Gunther. I’d say we take two of the three and then reserve a couple spots for the Easleys and Andersons of the world, maybe take a transfer too if we don’t like the way this transfer class develops.

VN Store

Back