'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

We need the sanctions to be known ASAP. Could be the staff but these sanctions are murder hanging over our heads
If I had to rank the top three things going against us, in order:

1) 15 years of ineptitude have finally ruined our brand.
2) I've never seen so little juice for a new coach and coaching staff. And I mean this from inside our fanbase and outside of it.
3) The sanctions being held over our head.

If I had to rank the top three things going against us, in order:

1) 15 years of ineptitude have finally ruined our brand.
2) I've never seen so little juice for a new coach and coaching staff. And I mean this from inside our fanbase and outside of it.
3) The sanctions being held over our head.

This seems reasonable. On field product is about the only thing that can change this at all IMO.

After all, BGS parrots what he reads from other sites. The first time he has “original” info will be a first. Give him credit though, he doesn’t portray his info as an”insider”
BGS just says "he gone" about every recruit and since there are thousands of recruits and we can only sign 25 he is right 90+% of the time. Doesn't make him an insider or knowledgeable.

The question remains for me... How much is due to the staff and how much is it due to NCAA investigation?
I think a lot of it has to do with this staff.

And before people pile on me, I'm not trying to be judgemental of Heupel or tough on him for no reason. These guys just don't have the reputation of being good recruiters. Garner does, but he can only do so much and can only target players his head coach gives him the "go ahead" on.

It's pretty simple to me: Danny White hired Josh Heupel because a ton of coaches turned us down. While spiraling, he decided it best to go with a guy he knows vs. a guy he doesn't. That's fine. I get it. But I don't expect it to work and, deep down, I don't think White does either. Heupel was hired to get us through sanctions. If he does more than that, consider it icing on the cake.

And before people pile on me, I'm not trying to be judgemental of Heupel or tough on him for no reason. These guys just don't have the reputation of being good recruiters. Garner does, but he can only do so much and can only target players his head coach gives him the "go ahead" on.

It's pretty simple to me: Danny White hired Josh Heupel because a ton of coaches turned us down. While spiraling, he decided it best to go with a guy he knows vs. a guy he doesn't. That's fine. I get it. But I don't expect it to work and, deep down, I don't think White does either. Heupel was hired to get us through sanctions. If he does more than that, consider it icing on the cake.
This post is absurd. 😂

I think that once high school guys see this offense work at UT, recruiting will pick up a lot
I agree.

What I wonder, though, is what happens if it doesn't take right away? What if we're just bad on offense in 2021? Does that dig an insurmountable hole for the next 2-3 years of recruits? I have no doubt this offense will be good at some point. It's been pretty good everywhere. What I'm getting at is largely unknowable, but I wonder how limited the window is to get this right.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

I agree with that but I also think the negative recruiting against us regarding the NCAA is probably also a factor

Give them more than a few months no?

Personally, if this staff can recruit just Avg....I'm fine. As long as they can get the maximum potential out of everyone and develop the players. That is something that hasn't been around in yearrrrrrrrrrs

I agree with that but I also think the negative recruiting against us regarding the NCAA is probably also a factor
Oh, for sure. Like I said earlier, it's all in the mix.

We've been bad for 15 years and recruits see us on the level of Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, etc. That just is what it is and it's not Danny White or Josh Heupel's fault.

We had a bad coach in Jeremy Pruitt. No doubt he should have been fired. But the way we decided to go about it only hurt us further. As @LA Vol and others have posted many times, we should have just fired him after A&M and paid the buyout. Plowman was looking for something more - and she found it.

Hiring Danny White was a big step forward, but I don't think he was totally aware of the coaching landscape and the interest (or lack thereof) in our job at the present time. When Elliott turned us down, it seems as though he didn't have the appetite to continue the search any further. So, to be expedient, he decided to hire Heupel after not contacting him throughout the entire process. He knew he had a safety blanket, and he used it.

And like I said, that's totally fine and understandable given where we were in the process and the candidates available. There were a couple of guys I would have preferred, but on the whole the resumes were about the same. But the book on Heupel for years has been that he is a great offensive mind, but not a great recruiter or face of a program. The fact we are struggling to recruit was expected.

Give them more than a few months no?
A few months for what?

This class is largely put to bed by now. We might enter the mix for a few guys who aren't paying attention right now, but it won't be enough to make a dent. And again, this fact is not surprising or unexpected. In a lot of ways we're already pointed to 2023 recruits.

For clarity, I don't think we're going to have a good 2021 season. This is a 4-5 win team, in my opinion. If I'm wrong and we win more than that, it stands to reason I will also be wrong about recruiting because we will have some positive momentum to sell. We shall see!

It has to do with relationships and the fact that we can’t tell a kid what penalty to expect while other schools pound it in their head. Literally can’t blame the staff they are working their butt off. If this was yr2/3 with a fair playing field maybe but way to early to blame staff. Rodney Garner ain’t the problem lol

Reactions: Kingston Vol
Personally, if this staff can recruit just Avg....I'm fine. As long as they can get the maximum potential out of everyone and develop the players. That is something that hasn't been around in yearrrrrrrrrrs
Of course that is true. If we are developing, recruiting can suffer. I just see no reason to bet on this coaching staff being elite, top of the SEC developers. They might be! But there's really no evidence to support it.

It's kind of like a "chicken or the egg" riddle. Which will we have? recruiting or development? I'd like to have both to hedge my bets.

Reactions: peaygolf
Your starting to see the unrealistic folks that were probably smoking the AV train that everything would be ok to gut the staff that had these kids locked up because it was their window to get rid of Fulmer/Pruitt without fan backlash. They couldn’t do it after yr 2 thanks to the run and they knew they couldn’t next yr with a top instate class locked up and actual full on practice time and the transfers Pruitt had lined up. One day people will see the game that was played for power not the program. And I really like the new guys so far but I really hate how we went about destroying ourselves during a covid season.

Of course that is true. If we are developing, recruiting can suffer. I just see no reason to bet on this coaching staff being elite, top of the SEC developers. They might be! But there's really no evidence to support it.

It's kind of like a "chicken or the egg" riddle. Which will we have? recruiting or development? I'd like to have both to hedge my bets.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kingston Vol
Your starting to see the unrealistic folks that were probably smoking the AV train that everything would be ok to gut the staff that had these kids locked up because it was their window to get rid of Fulmer/Pruitt without fan backlash. They couldn’t do it after yr 2 thanks to the run and they knew they couldn’t next yr with a top instate class locked up and actual full on practice time and the transfers Pruitt had lined up. One day people will see the game that was played for power not the program. And I really like the new guys so far but I really hate how we went about destroying ourselves during a covid season.
I agree with this.

Can you name one player that progressed this past season? I didn’t see any development at all.

VN Store

Back