'20 TN DL Tre'vonn Rybka (UK commit)

We need better than 3 stars. Just saying. Cats can have him.

But why is he a 3 star?
Do you know.

Big-time In-state Dlinemen this year. Thomas, Hardy, Walker (A&M), Rybka (UK) are all big-time prosp

Alabama, Clemson, UGA, OSU rinse repeat they all have one thing in common. Five stars all over the roster. Stars aren’t everything but you’re an idiot if there isn’t a direct positive correlation between the amount of 4-5 stars and winning national championships which is the goal at Tennessee. In before “when was UGAs last national championship” and “*insert group of 5 team* beat so in so without 5 stars.” Do you want to win championships or not? Some 3 stars and lower end up being amazing players and some 4-5 stars are busts but I know the teams winning big are signing majority 4-5 stars and good coaching.
Clemson is at that level NOW but built their championship program with some classes in the #16 range. Star ratings have been compromised with politics and egg heads making the call. I’ll ride with elite player evaluators...which we have. Never hurts to land those consensus 5 stars, but you have to build a program for them to flock towards...once again Clemson. Beyond the obvious 5 stars, the core of ANY team are the variations of 4 stars and 3 stars. Variations are divided into 4 stars with many offers AND camp appearances, 4 stars with uneven on-field performances (and resulting limited offers) but impressive camps and 4 stars who don’t camp but do dominate in real football and COACHES notice. Same applies to 3 stars. When the difference between a high level 3 star and a borderline 4 is whether Barton Simmons hit the toilet a few too many times, one can grasp the exact science we’re dealing with. You don’t just SUDDENLY load up on name talent and roll. You build a core and PERFORM. Then you can become more selective but never abandon the evaluation portion, because a zero star walk-on like Levi Wallace might be a major key to your season.

Is Clemson winning the National Championship with a whole roster of 3* players? Is Nick Saban dominating the SEC with a roster full of 3* players?

In basketball, it doesn’t mean as much but football, you need elite prospects all over the field if you’re wanting to compete with the big boys.

Yes, great coaching and developing 2-3* players can be a good thing if you’re in a lower tier conference but in the SEC, you’re constantly going up against the best of the best.
Levi Wallace was on the field last time Bama won a championship...former 0 star walk-on corner still doing it in the NFL.

Levi Wallace was on the field last time Bama won a championship...former 0 star walk-on corner still doing it in the NFL.

Good point and a lot of 2-3*s do end up having solid NFL career but if our fanbase are wanting to be National Contenders again at the college level, you need elite players.

Good point and a lot of 2-3*s do end up having solid NFL career but if our fanbase are wanting to be National Contenders again at the college level, you need elite players.
Of course...no doubt. It’s the definition of and means of obtaining that will always be up for debate. An egghead designates player A as elite but my coach says player R is better...who do you go with. An example: it’s being spun that this staff covets Mordecai more than they did Antonio Johnson. If true AND if Mordecai ends up the better player...who do you give higher future credence?

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Clemson is at that level NOW but built their championship program with some classes in the #16 range. Star ratings have been compromised with politics and egg heads making the call. I’ll ride with elite player evaluators...which we have. Never hurts to land those consensus 5 stars, but you have to build a program for them to flock towards...once again Clemson. Beyond the obvious 5 stars, the core of ANY team are the variations of 4 stars and 3 stars. Variations are divided into 4 stars with many offers AND camp appearances, 4 stars with uneven on-field performances (and resulting limited offers) but impressive camps and 4 stars who don’t camp but do dominate in real football and COACHES notice. Same applies to 3 stars. When the difference between a high level 3 star and a borderline 4 is whether Barton Simmons hit the toilet a few too many times, one can grasp the exact science we’re dealing with. You don’t just SUDDENLY load up on name talent and roll. You build a core and PERFORM. Then you can become more selective but never abandon the evaluation portion, because a zero star walk-on like Levi Wallace might be a major key to your season.
Our elite evaluators all came from places that recruit 4 and 5* talent. They won ROY and similar awards for signing elite talent, not for program building. Familiarity with the look of top talent may help them find a few hidden gems, but in the age of social media not many gems stay hidden even if they play at small schools off the beaten path. Clemson was able to build their way up in large part because Miami and FSU hit the skids and the rest of the ACC sucks. As much as I admire Cut, there are systemic issues in any conference where Duke can go from a 17-year bowl drought to bowl eligibility 6 out of 7 years. Not so in the SEC. Vols can take a baby step or two without stacking Top 10 classes but without massive sea changes in the SEC they will never get to the SECCG again without matching talent against programs that can stack top 5 classes.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Our elite evaluators all came from places that recruit 4 and 5* talent. They won ROY and similar awards for signing elite talent, not for program building. Familiarity with the look of top talent may help them find a few hidden gems, but in the age of social media not many gems stay hidden even if they play at small schools off the beaten path. Clemson was able to build their way up in large part because Miami and FSU hit the skids and the rest of the ACC sucks. As much as I admire Cut, there are systemic issues in any conference where Duke can go from a 17-year bowl drought to bowl eligibility 6 out of 7 years. Not so in the SEC. Vols can take a baby step or two without stacking Top 10 classes but without massive sea changes in the SEC they will never get to the SECCG again without matching talent against programs that can stack top 5 classes.
you're not wrong. if we're going to get back to that elite level, it's going to be because we are elite. as long as Bama, UGA, LSU, Auburn, aTm, Florida continue to get elite players, and compete at that level, the top of the deck is just stacked.

there's still a wide gap i think between the top of the SEC and 2nd tier teams like USCe, MO and MSU.....

those teams will go to bowls and be the perennial 7-8 win program, which is fine.

and we need to get there too. the last two years, and most of hte last decade, we've been in that tier below that.

our program has a higher ceiling than others in the 2nd tier. but our journey to getting there is not an easy or quick one.

and i wouldn't be upset if a couple of those programs started to backslide some along the way....lol. starting with FL.....man i hope they suck this year.

last thing...the good news is i think this staff has done a very good job of managing expectations amongst the recruiting base, while also maintaining a very high expectation level. they've sold what they've been able to. Prospects are listening. they also listened when they've been told about what they should expect to see from TN on the field.

so if we do what we some thing we're capable of doing on the field, and give that sales pitch some substance, we stand a good chance of seeing some more elite talent come to TN this year and next....getting us that much closer to being able to compete at that high level again.

get to the end of year 4 and see what we got.

you're not wrong. if we're going to get back to that elite level, it's going to be because we are elite. as long as Bama, UGA, LSU, Auburn, aTm, Florida continue to get elite players, and compete at that level, the top of the deck is just stacked.

there's still a wide gap i think between the top of the SEC and 2nd tier teams like USCe, MO and MSU.....

those teams will go to bowls and be the perennial 7-8 win program, which is fine.

and we need to get there too. the last two years, and most of hte last decade, we've been in that tier below that.

our program has a higher ceiling than others in the 2nd tier. but our journey to getting there is not an easy or quick one.

and i wouldn't be upset if a couple of those programs started to backslide some along the way....lol. starting with FL.....man i hope they suck this year.

last thing...the good news is i think this staff has done a very good job of managing expectations amongst the recruiting base, while also maintaining a very high expectation level. they've sold what they've been able to. Prospects are listening. they also listened when they've been told about what they should expect to see from TN on the field.

so if we do what we some thing we're capable of doing on the field, and give that sales pitch some substance, we stand a good chance of seeing some more elite talent come to TN this year and next....getting us that much closer to being able to compete at that high level again.

get to the end of year 4 and see what we got.
Florida will suck next year, and I know it’s the same tune every year but they are losing a lot this year especially if Wilson and Henderson both decide to leave early. 4 Sr. WR’s, a Sr. RB, Sr. DL, Sr. ILB, and those two DB’s. That on top of their melting 2019 recruiting class. Look forward to them coming to Neyland next year.

Clemson won championships AGAINST Bama with those rosters...not Wake Forest. Build your core then improve. Walk before you run.

So how many starters on that NC team were low ranked players?
Hunter Renfrow down there. Think he was ranked higher as a baseball player. And where did I say build a team of “low ranked players”? The line I stepped over demanded we have 5 star backups to 5 star starters to even compete. No team has that reality.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
"2-0 on the recruiting trail" lol

What's Kentucky's record against UT on the actual football field? I'll hang up and listen.
It’s also the only 2 times I’ve seen UK beat us for recruits since I’ve been following recruiting. And I’d bet significant money that Rogers doesn’t sign with them. If I had money that is.

VN Store

Back