'25 TN DL Ethan Utley (Tennessee commit)

Georgia, Florida, and Bammer recruiting:

'He's a local kid, and a shoe in'.

Tennessee recruiting:

'Grew up a fan of Tennessee, loves it here, family very close to staff. Watch your nads.'

That said; still saying he's a Vol.
A) He grew up a Georgia fan.
B) Check out the top 20 recruits in Georgia and Florida the last few years and see how many went to UGA or UF. The results may surprise you.

The notion that instate kids wanna stay instate is WAY overblown. Some do. Many do not. But I do think Utley will end up in Knoxville.

A) He grew up a Georgia fan.
B) Check out the top 20 recruits in Georgia and Florida the last few years and see how many went to UGA or UF. The results may surprise you.

The notion that instate kids wanna stay instate is WAY overblown. Some do. Many do not. But I do think Utley will end up in Knoxville.
I would think most actually want to go out of state to a neighboring state. It doesn’t mean as much to them as it used to so you have to fight for them. Fans just assume they want to play for the state school.

Would be an absolute failure by the staff if we can’t close this one out.

Last edited:
Texas smoke just feels like On3 guys wanting the kid to have his moment.

IIRC there was some kid recently who felt like a sure fire Vol but kept pumping there being a mystery team laying in the weeds… only to find out the kid decided more than a month prior that he was a vol and had been peer recruiting to Tennessee.
Ross was like that. We had been hearing Tennessee as the lead with others lurking. and maybe Auburn coming in last minute to be a "real factor" had people panicking. worked out in the end. not sure if he was peer recruiting but I feel like he had told the coaches and just made it public.

MacIntyre had the grandma thing too. not sure if there was a lurker team there, but I am sure there was some panic somewhere.

Pos of need. In state, perception.

Not saying it is or isnt. But seems to be a perception with this staff, inability to consistently close elite talent regularly. Even Cain mentioned on PC recently, gotta recruit better.
You can’t make a kid commit if he doesn’t want to. This whole failure by the staff stuff is ridiculous. Heupel and his staff can only do so much. At the end of the day, the kid has to want to play here. If he truly doesn’t, then how is that a failure on the staff?

You can’t make a kid commit if he doesn’t want to. This whole failure by the staff stuff is ridiculous. Heupel and his staff can only do so much. At the end of the day, the kid has to want to play here. If he truly doesn’t, then how is that a failure on the staff?
i didn't say it was or wasnt

interesting though we keep having the same type conversations every year.

loved the visit, love the school, love tennessee. that said i'll be committing to texas

Reactions: DBBaker26
Because he’s an instate DL who is good enough to play for the top programs in the country and we’ve been rebutting him longer than anyone. And he’s been to Knoxville countless times while only having been to Austin twice. And Garner is supposed to have a longstanding relationship with his family. You can’t lose them.

Because he’s an instate DL who is good enough to play for the top programs in the country and we’ve been rebutting him longer than anyone. And he’s been to Knoxville countless times while only having been to Austin twice. And Garner is supposed to have a longstanding relationship with his family. You can’t lose them.
So if a kid just doesn’t want to play here or likes another university, regardless of his instate ties or relationships and goes somewhere else that’s the staffs fault?

So if a kid just doesn’t want to play here or likes another university, regardless of his instate ties or relationships and goes somewhere else that’s the staffs fault?
I mean do you not understand how recruiting works and that it’s their job? If you can’t get a kid like that to sign then that’s by definition a failure.

Reactions: matt_mccoy19
I mean do you not understand how recruiting works and that it’s their job? If you can’t get a kid like that to sign then that’s by definition a failure.
I understand perfectly how it works. And it’s not a failure by the staff. Tell me how you make a kid commit if he truly doesn’t want to play here. Spell it out. At the end of the day the staff can only do so much. It’s up to the individual. Do you not understand that?

Now if we get out bid? I consider that a failure in the staff. But if this staff does its best job to recruit an instate kid and he just likes another program more? Sorry that’s not a failure on the staffs part. It’s just recruiting. The old saying applies. You can bring a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Why is it a absolute failure by the staff though? Maybe he just likes Texas more

I understand perfectly how it works. And it’s not a failure by the staff. Tell me how you make a kid commit if he truly doesn’t want to play here. Spell it out. At the end of the day the staff can only do so much. It’s up to the individual. Do you not understand that?

Now if we get out bid? I consider that a failure in the staff. But if this staff does its best job to recruit an instate kid and he just likes another program more? Sorry that’s not a failure on the staffs part. It’s just recruiting. The old saying applies. You can bring a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.
1709874220319.gif

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back