'20 TN DE Jay Hardy (Auburn commit)

You think it's dirty yet it's seldom proven. I never said it didn't happen, I said it doesn't happen as much as folks think. As small as Knoxville is, if Tennessee was paying say 20 players and their families do you not think people would know?
I know Awbarn is dirtier than hell..and I know this particular recruitment went totally wacko when they got involved. If you don't wanna be thought as being dirty pigs, don't jump in the pig sty.

You've named 3. Even if you named 30 instances that would be a small number % wise to every player at every school. Another thing, a house these days cost $100,000+, cars $25,000+, I don't see a team spending a million dollars a year buying houses and cars and not getting caught just to get basically the same players other schools are getting for free. If every team is doing it, and 10-15 players a team each year gets paid then you are talking about thousands of players across the country getting illegal benefits EVERY year. The NCAA may be blind but there is no way 1000+ athletes each year are receiving improper benefits without getting caught.
Lol..🤭

Reactions: white65
You've named 3. Even if you named 30 instances that would be a small number % wise to every player at every school. Another thing, a house these days cost $100,000+, cars $25,000+, I don't see a team spending a million dollars a year buying houses and cars and not getting caught just to get basically the same players other schools are getting for free. If every team is doing it, and 10-15 players a team each year gets paid then you are talking about thousands of players across the country getting illegal benefits EVERY year. The NCAA may be blind but there is no way 1000+ athletes each year are receiving improper benefits without getting caught.
My wifes grandparents are boosters for GA. After some bum ass game, we were in this little gameday condo building, which is decked out UGA from top to bottom and looks like a camel diarrhea'd all over the wall, and AJ Green popped in. It was kinda cool just chillin and then the guy that owns said condo gave AJ a wad of cash for "dinner and the rest of the evening". AJ left soon after. This is the norm.

There are many stories about players getting paid after games, including at UT.
It's not a stretch that as big as recruiting has become along with social media that recruits are getting wads of cash. I think large sums of money that raise flags is likely rare but you never know.
As far as Gus on the hot seat, if Jimmy Rane wants another Naty before his days are over he will pay the buy out, you can book it. He has a billion per year business and $27M would be worth it to him... He is the wealthiest person in Alabama and the 2nd wealthiest man in Bama just paid $15M for AU's new business school building for perspective...

I know one being recruited right now that hasn't been offered anything and would not go somewhere that did. He's got like 20 offers and NOBODY has offered him anything illegal. I would also think that I'd be certain players were accepting illegal benefits before I'd make a simple blanket statement that it happens a bunch everywhere.
The simple fact is we don’t know if they’re getting paid or given anything extra. Maybe the players just choose the best fit. Maybe they get paid(or their parents get paid). If they’re getting paid tho we definitely need somebody else in charge of that department.

I’m not trying to bust your balls bc you seem like a good fan but you’re being naive here. It happens a lot. It may not be major money in all cases but it’s pretty pervasive. Basketball has a lot documented about impermissible benefits and payoffs but it’s not close to the money that most of these football programs generate in the south. It’s cool though believe what you like, not worth getting into a back and forth when it’s not going to change anything.

I listened to a recruiting podcast the other day and guys were saying that it wasn’t over. They also said from speaking to guys close to Hardy that it wasn’t over.
That's potentially good news. More worthy of discussion than this other stuff. Wonder why the side conversation hasn't been moved to a new thread?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

As I said before, you have to use your imagination. Take Bama’s car collection. A local dealership can either lease or sell a car to a player. Said player uses financing and has to pay a car note. They agree to the longest note possible so that the notes are strung out forever, but it lowers the monthly payment. I wouldn’t put it past some players getting the notes paid for, or they can use their cost of attendance payment or pell grant or whatever to pay while they are in school. Then, once they leave, because they aren’t a student athlete anymore, their debt can be extinguished or paid off by someone. Or, they go to the NFL and pay it themselves.

Sure, it’s not money directly in their pocket, but it’s a benefit where their family is not paying for it, and they are enjoying a nice car. This kind of stuff has been going on for years and happens at a lot of places.

What you may be saying (that many players don’t get thousands of dollars) may be true, but players do benefit from such schemes like above. They get benefits, and their families get benefits. How many non athletes do you know whose parents moved to the same town to be with their child? How many parents of athletes have you heard move to the college town? Why the difference?

If a number of athletes get paid on thier team say 10 of them that leaves 12 offensive/defensive starting players not receiving said benefits I would think that would cause major problems between players. Also wonder how it affects the ones with benefits depending on the highest paid down to lowest. I'm sure the higher ranked players get more but if the other recruits find out do they negotiate? I guess we may never know for sure...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The simple fact is we don’t know if they’re getting paid or given anything extra. Maybe the players just choose the best fit. Maybe they get paid(or their parents get paid). If they’re getting paid tho we definitely need somebody else in charge of that department.

Imho, not every player gets paid, but it usually happens with the elite prospects when they commit/sign, and usually through a handler who negotiates with the boosters for the services of the prospect. Not all schools are the same as the boosters are in charge of this venture and some coaches allow more than others. Some cover their tracks better than others. Some don’t. Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, and FSU are historically the some of the best at this venture through their boosters.

Yeah. Except if there's actual news on the recruitment of Hardy then that would be of interest. This other stuff is just really stupid.
You seemed pretty sure it was over. So why do you need to check the thread?

Not trying to be an ass. I know what you’re saying and tend to agree but you’ve been here long enough to know how these threads ebb and flow. There’s not much you can do about it and it seems if you fuss about it, it just gets worse.

Last 5 pages 1% news on Hardy.....99% posts on whether boosters exist or not.
giphy.gif

Simple minded comes to mind....
Yes you are correct. If what you say is truly what you believe then simple minded describes it perfectly. It is a business decision with the highly rated recruits families who are going into a power 5 conference. I am not connected but I have been around those in the past who were. To think otherwise is just laughable.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
You seemed pretty sure it was over. So why do you need to check the thread?
It being "over" seemed to be the tenor of the RF addicts. I was surprised by the idea that it isn't considered over. But you'd have to admit that gleaning anything other than conspiracy theories about who is or isn't paying recruits would be difficult over the past several pages of this thread.

Not trying to be an ass. I know what you’re saying and tend to agree but you’ve been here long enough to know how these threads ebb and flow. There’s not much you can do about it and it seems if you fuss about it, it just gets worse.
Yeah. And I've been guilty myself. I just thought the moderators had started either moving or deleting stuff that got too far from the topic?

VN Store

Back