'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

I wonder if FSU and likely USC opening up changes the calculus for Auburn if they go 8-4? They’d likely be third in line for grabbing a great coach with such a scenario, and I don’t think there is anyway Urban Meyer is choosing Auburn over those other jobs. Who else would they target that would be better than Malzahn? As it is, FSU is probably getting someone like Mark Stoops or Jay Norvell, neither of whom seems to me like an upgrade over Malzahn.
depends. it's not out of the question that FSU pushes for Malzahn, though the buyout is probably scary considering what they're having to pony up for WT to go away. in that regard, he's probably safe from being poached away.

i honestly dont' think Auburn fires GM. there's only one reason to fire him, and htat's just being butt hurt over a 8-4/9-3 season. there's a lot of reasons to keep him, least of which is the buyout, and the competition you'd be in with FSU, USC for a coach, in what figures to be a pretty shallow talent pool, unless you can pony up and snag a big time sitting coach, which doesn't seem to be likely.

i expect auburn to stand fast, and ride with GM. he's still recruiting at ahigh level and is competitive with everyone he needs to be. plus, he at least still has the opportunity to beat UGA and/or Bama...and a bowl game.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Welp...that sucks.
I have observed / covered TN prep football for 40 years...Grimes is the most over-rated prospect I have ever seen...i have seen 4 of his games in the past year - he has yet to even attempt to make a tackle...in fact, he goes out of the way to avoid contact...Looks like TARZAN in his uni- plays like Jane's little sister...A track guy who plays football to please his father...NOTE: TYLER BARON ain't quite as weak- but he is close.

I have observed / covered TN prep football for 40 years...Grimes is the most over-rated prospect I have ever seen...i have seen 4 of his games in the past year - he has yet to even attempt to make a tackle...in fact, he goes out of the way to avoid contact...Looks like TARZAN in his uni- plays like Jane's little sister...A track guy who plays football to please his father...NOTE: TYLER BARON ain't quite as weak- but he is close.
Wow...it seems like if he sucks that bad at football nobody would want him..but then Maliek Gray comes to mind..so 🤷‍♂️ I want to sign football players, not athletic gear runway models that can move fast and jump high.

Reactions: LittleVol

Who stands out to you as the best prospects in TN for the 2020 class?

Drop more info on TN players. Baron takes most plays off. That’s his biggest issue.

I understand where you're coming from, 100%. A weak mindset that's making excuses and whining. Grab a tissue and cry me a river. You're a good poster and I like you but seriously, fix that mindset.

There’s nothing wrong with being frustrated with our recent recruiting. That isn’t an indicator of a “weak mindset.”

Watched Baron against BA, totally underwhelmed.

There are some 3 star DL and Edge players still uncommitted in Georgia that are better than both these guys.

Grimes...just isn't a football player.

Baron is kind of a tweener, but I have seen him make plays. Baron is a considerably better football player than Grimes.

Reactions: PA Vol
I know the expectations at Auburn are always high but is highly probable that they lose to both UGA & Bama and of course beat Samford. 8-4 regular season finish and who knows what happens after their bowl. Could Barn’s AD move on from GM after this year if it is ultimately a disappointment? Personally, I hope Bama and UGA embarrass them. Some of their recruits could possibly sign with UT if Gus is shown the door. Definitely something we should pay attention to.
would loveeee this

Reactions: swampfoxfan and TAD

It’s obvious that something is amiss with grimes...think you just splained it, can’t play this game half assed.

cmon now. orange glasses OFF

Geez, man. We're 4-5 with losses to GA State and BYU. Auburn is 7-2, ranked 11th in the country and notorious for throwing around bags of cash. Is it really that difficult to understand why Hardy chose Auburn yesterday?

Some of you need to quit whining when things don't go your way. Guess what? Things usually don't go your way when your program is rebuilding for the umpteenth time and you're recruiting against Top 15 teams. Win some, lose some.

We have elite coaches that are making improvements with these players on the field, it's obvious. The defense is playing unbelievable right now considering the roster and inexperience. The offense is a good healthy QB away from playing that way also.

Hardy picked Auburn, BOO FN HOO! Get over it and move on. NEXT!
CA6CB02C-116D-4653-BC54-93CB46363CED.gif

Reactions: windrider
Heard on the VR2 podcast that Reggie is very, very smart...football and academics. He wants to major in Mechanical Engineering. They compared him to Josh Dobbs and Grant Williams in how he talks. They also said he's an athletic freak. Thinks we should take him 100% and figure out where to put him. Seems like he'd be best as a pass rusher.

Heard on the VR2 podcast that Reggie is very, very smart...football and academics. He wants to major in Mechanical Engineering. They compared him to Josh Dobbs and Grant Williams in how he talks. They also said he's an athletic freak. Thinks we should take him 100% and figure out where to put him. Seems like he'd be best as a pass rusher.

That guy thinks every player TN is remotely talking to is an all american. Grain of salt

LOL mr 7 posts since 2010

Any reason to believe this guy is interested in us? He’s from Tennessee which seems to be a huge disadvantage.

Any reason to believe this guy is interested in us? He’s from Tennessee which seems to be a huge disadvantage.

He can be from Tuscaloosa, Alabama for all I care. We've already got commitments from 2 perhaps 3 other guys for the same position that are much better than him.

He can be from Tuscaloosa, Alabama for all I care. We've already got commitments from 2 perhaps 3 other guys for the same position that are much better than him.
How do you figure? We have 1 kid committed as a pass rusher. (We don't really know what French is yet). And Jimari Butler is a massive project. He needs AT LEAST a year in the S&C program, and the kid has only played 1 year of football. I really like him, but he is not an immediate impact guy, and we have a need at the position.

We have an outside shot at Morven Joseph, and other than that I can't name one pass rusher at this moment we're in a good spot with.

Reggie Grimes is a physical beast who hasn't tapped in to his potential as a football player. Is there a risk that he doesn't have the traits to tap into it? Sure. But we don't have pass rushers beating down the door to come here right now like a Bama or LSU. Take a flyer on this kid. Smart, super athletic, and good pedigree.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
How do you figure? We have 1 kid committed as a pass rusher. (We don't really know what French is yet). And Jimari Butler is a massive project. He needs AT LEAST a year in the S&C program, and the kid has only played 1 year of football. I really like him, but he is not an immediate impact guy, and we have a need at the position.

We have an outside shot at Morven Joseph, and other than that I can't name one pass rusher at this moment we're in a good spot with.

E

Reggie Grimes is a physical beast who hasn't tapped in to his potential as a football player. Is there a risk that he doesn't have the traits to tap into it? Sure. But we don't have pass rushers beating down the door to come here right now like a Bama or LSU. Take a flyer on this kid. Smart, super athletic, and good pedigree.

Eason and French are both OLBs with Eason probably cross training at ILB as well.

Butler had 18 sacks playing in one of the more talented area in the South. He showed out against the top program in Alabama National ranked Mcgill-Toolen. He couldn't be blocke. 6'5" 220 runs a 4.59 and it showed on Friday nights. Much better competition than Grimes has AND had far better stats...

Gonna be really interesting to see how this class ends up. It looks real good to me so far with high potential to close super strong. 1 or 2 might decommit but I dont expect much. Just Have to win these last 2 games. And a good beat down in the bowl game would carry momentum for the young guys next year.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Eason and French are both OLBs with Eason probably cross training at ILB as well.

Butler had 18 sacks playing in one of the more talented area in the South. He showed out against the top program in Alabama National ranked Mcgill-Toolen. He couldn't be blocke. 6'5" 220 runs a 4.59 and it showed on Friday nights. Much better competition than Grimes has AND had far better stats...

Eason and French are ultimately what CJP decides they are. The only player I can say for sure right now is a pass rusher is Butler. And I like him, like you said he's had a great year.

Even with him we still need to take another 2-3 pass rushers this cycle in the least. I think CJP will ultimately turn up the heat on Grimes. I'm confident our staff can make him a player.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Eason and French are ultimately what CJP decides they are. The only player I can say for sure right now is a pass rusher is Butler. And I like him, like you said he's had a great year.

Even with him we still need to take another 2-3 pass rushers this cycle in the least. I think CJP will ultimately turn up the heat on Grimes. I'm confident our staff can make him a player.
Nope.

VN Store

Back