'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

I’m honestly not sure who we’re plan A for. If anyone.
It is crazy..we have Dlinemen on the team developing into monsters so plain to see...and these Tennessee kids..smh...I've always said on VN that Tennessee kids absolutely suck at being Tennesseans. At least a lot of them do.

Losing legacies and important in-state talent has been a disturbing trend for us for a long time, going back to the Fulmer days. Losing Hardy to Auburn today, after him being considered a lock to the Vols, is only the latest iteration of what I'm talking about. Grimes, unless he gets the nod from AL, is probably following Anderson, another one that got away, to SCAR. And with Baron continuing to drag out his commitment, there's not much left to hope for there. Morris was very receptive to TN, but we let aTm outwork us there, pure and simple. The numbers are bad, and the wrong way trend has accelerated this year. Our coaching staff is, frankly, doing a poor job of recruiting inside Tennessee. Pruitt has to improve this.

Got big problems recruiting for Dline and LB. I mean BIG. When you think of what Pruitt did at Alabama then look now and kids definitely aren't falling all over themselves trying to commit to Tennessee because of Pruitt.

This was supposed to be the year for state kids. I don't know who is dropping the ball.
I know Neids is very good and I know Johnson is well respected and good recruiter. Maybe Johnson should be elevated somewhat. I mean where are the receivers. These kids aren't coming to Tennessee if the QB's cant get them the ball.

I even thought after the wins we had over Miss. St and then SC we would hear from some big recruits who hadn't even had us on their radars. But no, instead they are de-committing instead.

It's obvious a lot of things we think should mean something to the kids doesn't in most cases. I mean just look any player who is 4* or 5* and is a Dlineman or LB know they could come and start or be in the rotation year one but they just don't want to come here for some reason. It can't be recognition because they would get plenty of that. So what's the problem.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Did Cat take over Bass account?

Reality did. We are in the bottom 1/4 of SEC recruiting and the gap is widening. We'll either win as the scrappy under-talented Mizzou or we'll just continue failing spectacularly.

Most here remember the heyday of Vols football. These kids do not. In their lifetime the Vols are 134-106, 6-5 in bowls and haven't won the SEC once. Since they've been 10, the Vols are 53-55 and are perennially embarrassed by UGA/Bama/Florida. Should I tally up our loss deficit to our primary "rivals" in the last 10 years?

This is a hard thing to grasp, but reality is being paid in full with our recruiting struggles. Jones benefited from a spectacular Legacy group and selling kids the Moon without being able to give them a Moon Pie... Pruitt is having to do things the hard way. Tennessee hasn't been relevant on the national stage since these kids were 4 years old.

Reality did. We are in the bottom 1/4 of SEC recruiting and the gap is widening. We'll either win as the scrappy under-talented Mizzou or we'll just continue failing spectacularly.

Most here remember the heyday of Vols football. These kids do not. In their lifetime the Vols are 134-106, 6-5 in bowls and haven't won the SEC once. Since they've been 10, the Vols are 53-55 and are perennially embarrassed by UGA/Bama/Florida. Should I tally up our loss deficit to our primary "rivals" in the last 10 years?

This is a hard thing to grasp, but reality is being paid in full with our recruiting struggles. Jones benefited from a spectacular Legacy group and selling kids the Moon without being able to give them a Moon Pie... Pruitt is having to do things the hard way. Tennessee hasn't been relevant on the national stage since these kids were 4 years old.
Tennessee has a lot to sell it just needs WINS. Elite historical program, elite fanbase, elite facilities, elite conference, elite coaches, etc. Win and they will come.

7-5 and a bowl game, especially with adding a bowl victory to 8-5, will propel the recruiting to where we need it to be to close 2020 and start 2021.

Tennessee has a lot to sell it just needs WINS. Elite historical program, elite fanbase, elite facilities, elite conference, elite coaches, etc. Win and they will come.

7-5 and a bowl game, especially with adding a bowl victory to 8-5, will propel the recruiting to where we need it to be to close 2020 and start 2021.
i don't disagree if we're talking really big picture type stuff.

but the devlil's advocate in me right now just isn't buying it. all we've done the past month of the season is rebuild the momentum we lost. anybody/everybody that covers the SEC is talking about the positive turnaround for TN in terms of on the field play, effort from the players, the job the coaches are doing with this roster, and the level of support from the fans, especialy for that USCe game.

and so far, the net result has been a decommittment from a pass rusher that we coveted and a flip from a top 115 prospect that's supposedly been in the bag for months...and is fresh off two more visits this month, including that USCe game.

so at some point, how much does all that warm fuzzy crap we talk about all the time matter? so far, at least for this cycle, it doesn't seem to matter at all. Lawrence and Mays jump in, which was supposed to be huge for this in state crop...... we have the QB. we have the coaching staff, and we're finally starting to see real development on the field, finally starting to see some results.

i just don't get it. we're doing all the things we've talked about needing to do this season to close this class strong and, right now anyway, it seems that at least part of it is in the process of falling apart....especially at positions of need.

frustrated. we're doing the work.

i don't disagree if we're talking really big picture type stuff.

but the devlil's advocate in me right now just isn't buying it. all we've done the past month of the season is rebuild the momentum we lost. anybody/everybody that covers the SEC is talking about the positive turnaround for TN in terms of on the field play, effort from the players, the job the coaches are doing with this roster, and the level of support from the fans, especialy for that USCe game.

and so far, the net result has been a decommittment from a pass rusher that we coveted and a flip from a top 115 prospect that's supposedly been in the bag for months...and is fresh off two more visits this month, including that USCe game.

so at some point, how much does all that warm fuzzy crap we talk about all the time matter? so far, at least for this cycle, it doesn't seem to matter at all. Lawrence and Mays jump in, which was supposed to be huge for this in state crop...... we have the QB. we have the coaching staff, and we're finally starting to see real development on the field, finally starting to see some results.

i just don't get it. we're doing all the things we've talked about needing to do this season to close this class strong and, right now anyway, it seems that at least part of it is in the process of falling apart....especially at positions of need.

frustrated. we're doing the work.
Geez, man. We're 4-5 with losses to GA State and BYU. Auburn is 7-2, ranked 11th in the country and notorious for throwing around bags of cash. Is it really that difficult to understand why Hardy chose Auburn yesterday?

Some of you need to quit whining when things don't go your way. Guess what? Things usually don't go your way when your program is rebuilding for the umpteenth time and you're recruiting against Top 15 teams. Win some, lose some.

We have elite coaches that are making improvements with these players on the field, it's obvious. The defense is playing unbelievable right now considering the roster and inexperience. The offense is a good healthy QB away from playing that way also.

Hardy picked Auburn, BOO FN HOO! Get over it and move on. NEXT!

Geez, man. We're 4-5 with losses to GA State and BYU. Auburn is 7-2, ranked 11th in the country and notorious for throwing around bags of cash. Is it really that difficult to understand why Hardy chose Auburn yesterday?

Some of you need to quit whining when things don't go your way. Guess what? Things usually don't go your way when your program is rebuilding for the umpteenth time and you're recruiting against Top 15 teams. Win some, lose some.

We have elite coaches that are making improvements with these players not he field, it's obvious. The defense is playing unbelievable right now considering the roster and inexperience. The offense is a good healthy QB away from playing that way also.

not interested in arguing with you on this. i gave you an alternate point of view. either you understand where i'm coming from or you don't.

and i acknowledged all the positive stuff you referenced, which is why this is frustrating.

not interested in arguing with you on this. i gave you an alternate point of view. either you understand where i'm coming from or you don't.

and i acknowledged all the positive stuff you referenced, which is why this is frustrating.
I understand where you're coming from, 100%. A weak mindset that's making excuses and whining. Grab a tissue and cry me a river. You're a good poster and I like you but seriously, fix that mindset.

I understand where you're coming from, 100%. A weak mindset that's making excuses and whining. Grab a tissue and cry me a river. You're a good poster and I like you but seriously, fix that mindset.
as opposed to just saying "next"? like nothing happened and everything's fine?

seriously. i'm not a doom and glom guy generally, and i don't really think i am being one now. definitely not reaching for a tissue.

it pizzes me off to be misled. especially when we've done the things we all believe need to be done to get better. that's not weak. that's just acknowledging it for what it is. you telling me i'm weak for it is just your way of deflecting....and frankly i'm a little surprised, and it's just uncalled for.....

as opposed to just saying "next"? like nothing happened and everything's fine?

seriously. i'm not a doom and glom guy generally, and i don't really think i am being one now. definitely not reaching for a tissue.

it pizzes me off to be misled. especially when we've done the things we all believe need to be done to get better. that's not weak. that's just acknowledging it for what it is. you telling me i'm weak for it is just your way of deflecting....and frankly i'm a little surprised, and it's just uncalled for.....
It's RECRUITING. Kids blindside coaches and fanbases all the time. That's not news. Does it suck Hardy didn't pick UT? Of course it does. It's part of the game. But it also isn't surprising in the least bit.

It's RECRUITING. Kids blindside coaches and fanbases all the time. That's not news. Does it suck Hardy didn't pick UT? Of course it does. It's part of the game. But it also isn't surprising in the least bit.
i know. i'd disagree on the "surprising" part, at least for this case....but yeah, we all know that, generally speaking.....everything is fluid until they sign.....including Hardy's 110% to Auburn.

Reactions: tatervol
i know. i'd disagree on the "surprising" part, at least for this case....but yeah, we all know that, generally speaking.....everything is fluid until they sign.....including Hardy's 110% to Auburn.
It shouldn't be surprising for many reasons...

1. That's recruiting, happens all the time, to every team.
2. Instate kid that has been stalling his public commitment for months.
3. Auburn visit last weekend - cabin and $
4. We're 4-5 and rebuilding. Auburn is 7-2 and isn't rebuilding.

Don't be surprised when Baron goes elsewhere. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he picks UT.

It shouldn't be surprising for many reasons...

1. That's recruiting, happens all the time, to every team.
2. Instate kid that has been stalling his public commitment for months.
3. Auburn visit last weekend - cabin and $
4. We're 4-5 and rebuilding. Auburn is 7-2 and isn't rebuilding.

Don't be surprised when Baron goes elsewhere. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he picks UT.
and it is surprising for many reasons.......if all the recruiting stuff that we have access to ever means anything.......both Hardy and Baron should wind up at TN. follow the visits, all the analysts, insiders, other players/prospects, progress of our program etc....none of what you say above isn't true. but prior to yesterday morning.....everyone thought it was TN, despite all of that being true.

there were a lot of reasons to believe everything everyone did about where he and Baron would be going.

and no, i won't be surprised at what Baron does either way.

it's not like we were folllowing this recruitment as a months line TN/Aburn battle. Auburn pushed late....really late...and got it done.

We have elite coaches that are making improvements with these players on the field, it's obvious. The defense is playing unbelievable right now considering the roster and inexperience. The offense is a good healthy QB away from playing that way also.

Boom baby, I’m with ya Ron. Whining about it won’t fix it. Just keep ****ing winning and things will take care of themselves

I know the expectations at Auburn are always high but is highly probable that they lose to both UGA & Bama and of course beat Samford. 8-4 regular season finish and who knows what happens after their bowl. Could Barn’s AD move on from GM after this year if it is ultimately a disappointment? Personally, I hope Bama and UGA embarrass them. Some of their recruits could possibly sign with UT if Gus is shown the door. Definitely something we should pay attention to.

I know the expectations at Auburn are always high but is highly probable that they lose to both UGA & Bama and of course beat Samford. 8-4 regular season finish and who knows what happens after their bowl. Could Barn’s AD move on from GM after this year if it is ultimately a disappointment? Personally, I hope Bama and UGA embarrass them. Some of their recruits could possibly sign with UT if Gus is shown the door. Definitely something we should pay attention to.
Gus ain't gonna be shown the door after that massive contract he just signed a couple years back

I wonder if FSU and likely USC opening up changes the calculus for Auburn if they go 8-4? They’d likely be third in line for grabbing a great coach with such a scenario, and I don’t think there is anyway Urban Meyer is choosing Auburn over those other jobs. Who else would they target that would be better than Malzahn? As it is, FSU is probably getting someone like Mark Stoops or Jay Norvell, neither of whom seems to me like an upgrade over Malzahn.

VN Store

Back