'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

This recruit is #1 in the state and has a Bama and LSU offer. If he doesn't come here that is his decision not CJP.
Honestly, I think Lawrence is the best player in the state, even if he wasn’t a Tennessee commit. I’m telling you guys, I might be completely wrong, but my coaching friend who thinks Grimes is a T-shirt champion has been pretty spot on with his assessments of kids we have recruited In the past few years. There is a reason that Grimes is not a take at Alabama, and there is a reason that our coaching staff is split on whether he is a take at Tennessee… They see him in camps without the pads on and he flashes, but completely disappears when the pads start popping.

Reactions: KBVol
Honestly, I think Lawrence is the best player in the state, even if he wasn’t a Tennessee commit. I’m telling you guys, I might be completely wrong, but my coaching friend who thinks Grimes is a T-shirt champion has been pretty spot on with his assessments of kids we have recruited In the past few years. There is a reason that Grimes is not a take at Alabama, and there is a reason that our coaching staff is split on whether he is a take at Tennessee… They see him in camps without the pads on and he flashes, but completely disappears when the pads start popping.

We aren’t in position to pass on grimes. We slowed down because Pruitt knows his family and where he really wanted to go. Now that it’s more clear he may not have that option we are jumping back in. Although always possible Bama offers last minute and he stills goes there. Tricky to risk a lot of time when you know that can happen

We aren’t in position to pass on grimes. We slowed down because Pruitt knows his family and where he really wanted to go. Now that it’s more clear he may not have that option we are jumping back in. Although always possible Bama offers last minute and he stills goes there. Tricky to risk a lot of time when you know that can happen
I hope the issue with the TSSAA gets resolved and the kid gets to play this year. I haven't been overly impressed with him in games I've seen him play, at least at the ranking he holds and the ranking I think will drop a huge amt if he doesn't play this season.

Ideal OLB prospect in the 3-4 that can be a rush end when switching to 4-3 in situational schemes. Has the athleticism to be that 4 for 4 linebacker Pruitt talks about.
yep. this is my thinking as well. while he hasn't shown to be absolutely dominant on film, he does flash that freaky athleticism that you'd think should translate to exactly what you're talking about.

get him in the right spot, and he could be match up nightmare in our defense.

Lol

I remember a poster in a PWO (Aiken Maybe) Thread said the PWO was actually better but only had 1 year experience, thus the lack of offers... Hopefully he blossoms this season and picks us!

Reactions: FïreBall
have to take an athlete of this caliber. boom or bust but the NFL potential is absolutely there
I agree... Because he could be just needing that little bit of something to change his game to click.. Would hate for that to happen at another school.. If he wants to play and gives his all.. The coaches can iron out the rest..

I’m sure Grimes is a good kid but I see nothing on the football field that makes me think he is an SEC player. Nothing on film, in the stats, or anything else. He’s a good athlete and a physical specimen but he’s never done anything with those tools on the field to warrant Tennessee taking him. That’s JMO though, I hope the kid proves me wrong.

We’ve got only so many spots and assuming we use one on a LS, one on another QB assuming we get King which I don’t see, do we really have room for a project?

I’m sure Grimes is a good kid but I see nothing on the football field that makes me think he is an SEC player. Nothing on film, in the stats, or anything else. He’s a good athlete and a physical specimen but he’s never done anything with those tools on the field to warrant Tennessee taking him. That’s JMO though, I hope the kid proves me wrong.

We’ve got only so many spots and assuming we use one on a LS, one on another QB assuming we get King which I don’t see, do we really have room for a project?
A 5* project huh? Rediculousness

So has Alabama officially passed? If so, I'd like to get him just because their passing should be quite the motivator. He has the tools, I trust our staff to develop him.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
There are 5* busts every year somewhere. It usually has nothing to do with athletic ability, and more to do with work ethic, or not having it upstairs. But I'll take my chances on athletic freaks, everytime.

I agree... Because he could be just needing that little bit of something to change his game to click.. Would hate for that to happen at another school.. If he wants to play and gives his all.. The coaches can iron out the rest..

great point and something I’ve been trying to preach for awhile but many just take one or two examples (Donald) and blow it out of proportion

It never occurs to them that development of the athlete sometimes just doesn’t occur during HS but all the tools are there for a great collegiate career and beyond. Sometimes all it takes is some NFL caliber coordinators and position coaches at the college level for a 19 year old to reach his potential.

We all remember our high school ball coaches....

A 5* project huh? Rediculousness
Have you watched any of his film? Serious question. I agree with @DaddyChad...He has nothing that flashes on the field or on paper, except for his measurables. Jacquez Smith was a physical specimen and athletic freak, too…we see how he turned out. If our coaches decide that they want him and take him, then I certainly trust their judgment. However, it will not surprise me that he chooses somewhere like South Carolina and doesn’t do much at the college level.

Reactions: KBVol and DaddyChad
With this staff, they are showing that they know how to scout, develop, and teach technique.

They usually take the mold of a smart football player with the ability to play several positions.

This kid is not the prototypical Pruitt recruit. They must see something special in him.

I'm good with that if they want to take him.

Reactions: hooter vol
great point and something I’ve been trying to preach for awhile but many just take one or two examples (Donald) and blow it out of proportion

It never occurs to them that development of the athlete sometimes just doesn’t occur during HS but all the tools are there for a great collegiate career and beyond. Sometimes all it takes is some NFL caliber coordinators and position coaches at the college level for a 19 year old to reach his potential.

We all remember our high school ball coaches....
Fulmer had a few that looked like Tarzan but played like Jane. Coach has to make that decision.

VN Store

Back