Timing the AD & Coaching Hire - Mark Schlabach (ESPN)

I personally dont think its out of the equation that Fulmer wasn't forced to retire but the people in decision seats sat him down. They said look we know its not all your fault the coach allowed this. But you did hire him. And based off your legacy here the fans will turn from you being a legend to a villain if you take the chance on hiring the next football coach and he too blows up. If you retire now most Vol fans will be upset about the one hire gone wrong but mostly chalk it up to one bad decision. You gamble on another guy and with whatever sanctions are coming from NCAA the next coach may have no choice but to fail and be a stop gap to the next coaching hire. That 2 for 2 bad coaching hires will forever be attached to you. I then think Fulmer said I agree 100% ill walk and let this be someone elses headache.

Fulmer fights with too many people. He has made his share of enemies and some of those have significant influence & power so I’m pretty confident that those people said “we’ll help but not with that guy involved.”

If we do not have a solid head coach by March you can kiss the 2022 in state class goodbye

If we get hit with scholarship reductions and bowl bans by the NCAA then the 2022 class was already gone anyway. I think people are conveniently forgetting that UT is in big trouble.

I've already stated many times that the whole reason Steele was suddenly hired was to get us through next year and possibly the following year.

We as a fan base are very impatient with this process. Understandable because of our recent debacles.
However, we need to all chill out this time. If it takes a year to get the RIGHT people then so be it. As long as we get the RIGHT people. Firing Pruitt was ripping the bandaid off. There is still time needed to heal from that wound. With or without Pruitt next season was a bust. Now let’s get a good AD and give them time to hire the right coach.
Damn Amazon for fueling this “have to have it right now” attitude of this generation.

Amazon is not the reason for this "have it right now" attitude. It's the fact that Tennessee hasn't had it in nearly 20 years. People are done and sick of waiting around forever.

Reactions: kcvols1 and tbh
Amazon is not the reason for this "have it right now" attitude. It's the fact that Tennessee hasn't had it in nearly 20 years. People are done and sick of waiting around forever.
It’s because if this hurry up and fix it attitude that we keep jumping into bad decisions. We need to be patient and do it right this time or the trend will continue.

Reactions: kcvols1
You can recover from a bad recruiting class a hell of alot quicker than you can from a bad coaching hire(s). Stop the insanity of quick, kneejerk hires.
There's a better talent pool right now than has been in a long time for coaching.

We may not have our guy if we wait next season...

Tennessee will be just fine, but they will remain next to last in the SEC east for the foreseeable future, unfortunately
Some day things may turn around on old Rocky Snot, right?

No way they take 2-3 months with the ad hire

Agreed. My real question, in all seriousness, is who might be legit candidates for HC and be "a proven winner" and "clean" and "with integrity".
That combination, my friends, is a very, very small slice of the football coaching pie, a smaller slice of the big business pie, and non-existent slice of the political pie.
And, just think, it is the latter two that control this choice.

VN Store

Back