Timing the AD & Coaching Hire - Mark Schlabach (ESPN)

If the NCAA approves onetime transfers that could be the nail in the coffin for UT football. I don't see a lot of player sticking around for a lame duck season and an unknown HC. UT hiring record isn't good and any parent would tell their child that. 22" class is a wash and I'm anticipating mass exodus of the 21" pending the transfer rule

I really hope not. We have a good choice of coaches now, if we wait til next year other schools will be out there too and the pool gets smaller....but we seem to like messing up coaching searches

This is my thought. UT isn't in a position to compete for top coaches. The job would be even less desirable if we have a large amount of transfers and miss on the 22" class

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Competent Universities have a list of names to serve as a basis for AD and coaching replacements. UT has never created a list. Texas had their man because of their process. Jacksonville got Meyer because of a thought out process. UT got Dooley, Butch and Pruitt because they had no procedural plan.

This is my thought. UT isn't in a position to compete for top coaches. The job would be even less desirable if we have a large amount of transfers and miss on the 22" class

Jacksonville of all teams got Urban Meyer. They are the Vandy of the NFL. We could get a top coach, but we need to fill the AD position and that may likely be influenced by who that AD would be able to get.

You hire a search firm because they already have intel on your potential AD candidates. They ask you what you're looking for and put together a pre-vetted shortlist. This is a 1 to 2 week process at the most.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I’ve never understood the logic of hiring an outside contractor to do your hiring for you. They don’t have to suffer the consequences if the hire goes bad.

I will be surprised if the AD search takes months as the school should already have a list of potential candidates. For critical jobs, the school should maintain a list of candidates at all times. The current situation may revise the list by adding/removing potential candidates, but (hopefully) we are not starting from scratch.
I believe an AD will be named by Feb. 15 and new coach within three weeks from the AD hire.

AV said he thinks the AD is already picked. It may not be signed or done fully, but I think they know and have known who they are going to get.

Finebaum said on his show yesterday he thinks the AD hire is already done and will come from the 3 names that are being talked about already. Since its Finebaum, take it with a grain of salt - but, I've heard similar from others in the media.

Just curious, what are those three names?

Reactions: feathersax
This x100.

The Dooley hire was the worst in UT history and it was a total panic hire. Sure, we've had other bad coaches, but Dooley's resume, even on the surface, was garbage. He was a 4-8 head coach at Louisiana Tech. Should've just allowed Chaney to be interim HC and hired a new coach at the end of the year.
I remember listening to an interview with Mike Hamilton right after the Dooley hire. He didn't even meet Dooley in person. Hamilton said he'd talked to Dooley for 15 minutes over the phone and knew he had his coach. Let that sink in. He hired the UT football coach, over the phone after a 15 minute conversation. Mike Hamilton is the one who destroyed Tennessee Athletics. He also fired the baseball coach, Rod Delmonico, who had a 699-396 record at UT.

Manning is leading the head coaching search. He will come up with the list of candidates. And I suspect the university brass has the list of ADs already. The allegations surfaced back in November.

This may not take as long as we think.

I remember listening to an interview with Mike Hamilton right after the Dooley hire. He didn't even meet Dooley in person. Hamilton said he'd talked to Dooley for 15 minutes over the phone and knew he had his coach. Let that sink in. He hired the UT football coach, over the phone after a 15 minute conversation. Mike Hamilton is the one who destroyed Tennessee Athletics. He also fired the baseball coach, Rod Delmonico, who had a 699-396 record at UT.
We ended up with Dooley because Muschamp recommended him. The AD we hire has to put more effort into this than Hamilton, Hart, Currie, or Fulmer!

If we do not have a solid head coach by March you can kiss the 2022 in state class goodbye
I see this differently. I see our in-state men taking responsibility to be true Volunteers who are not out for themselves, but a cause much greater. This may be a resurrenge of the Volunteer Spirit that has been missing for years!

I’ve never understood the logic of hiring an outside contractor to do your hiring for you. They don’t have to suffer the consequences if the hire goes bad.
I posted in another thread that the purpose is to get a third party between you and employers of potential candidates to avoid getting sued for tortious interference. I understand that a lot of us want Blackburn to get his chance and our list begins and ends there, and that is probably why people's feathers are ruffled over the idea of a search. I don't know if Blackburn is even a candidate this time. If major boosters still have beef with him, I doubt he gets a sniff.

Reactions: kcvols1
I posted in another thread that the purpose is to get a third party between you and employers of potential candidates to avoid getting sued for tortious interference. I understand that a lot of us want Blackburn to get his chance and our list begins and ends there, and that is probably why people's feathers are ruffled over the idea of a search. I don't know if Blackburn is even a candidate this time. If major boosters still have beef with him, I doubt he gets a sniff.

He's not.

If it takes 2 or 3 months to hire an AD it means Plowman and the administration did not have a succession plan in place. It means they're making it up as they go.

That is a primary management failure on her/their part.

tenor.gif

He is VERY BAD MAN!

The wheels have been in motion for awhile on all job voids. We just found out yesterday but like most major corporations those that make the call have been on it and have it dwindled down.
You can’t expect basic levels of competence here.

Reactions: Majors

VN Store

Back