Timing the AD & Coaching Hire - Mark Schlabach (ESPN)

OSVolFan

This morning, Mark Schlabach (on First Take - ESPNU radio) had an opinion UT would take its time in hiring the new AD, guessing 2-3 months. He mentioned hiring a search firm seems to indicate Plowman's interest in conducting a nationwide search, which if done correctly, would take time. I thought this was interesting, considering many think going slow will be detrimental to the football program.

Of course this also led into the discussion about hiring a new coach. He indicated if the AD hire indeed takes that long, UT likely rides through next year with Steele before making a permanent HC hire.

Do I trust the administration to get it right? If I am going off past hires, no. Securing a legit AD fairly quickly would give me hope. Taking 2-3 months to find that AD would only reinforce the idea our administration still doesn't know what they are doing. JMO

This morning, Mark Schlabach (on First Take - ESPNU radio) had an opinion UT would take its time in hiring the new AD, guessing 2-3 months. He mentioned hiring a search firm seems to indicate Plowman's interest in conducting a nationwide search, which if done correctly, would take time. I thought this was interesting, considering many think going slow will be detrimental to the football program.

Of course this also led into the discussion about hiring a new coach. He indicated if the AD hire indeed takes that long, UT likely rides through next year with Steele before making a permanent HC hire.

Do I trust the administration to get it right? If I am going off past hires, no. Securing a legit AD fairly quickly would give me hope. Taking 2-3 months to find that AD would only reinforce the idea our administration still doesn't know what they are doing. JMO
I thought they would make an AD hire this week but with the 50 infractions number being tossed out this morning, I’m not sure what is going to happen with the AD/HC searches.

Reactions: kcvols1
there's no way... the searching firm is pretty normal but doesn't mean they don't already have a list of names plus it's going to be easier to hire an AD than a coach

I'd rather have an interim for an entire year than fudge this hire AGAIN, which would set us down another 3-5 year path of hell.

This x100.

The Dooley hire was the worst in UT history and it was a total panic hire. Sure, we've had other bad coaches, but Dooley's resume, even on the surface, was garbage. He was a 4-8 head coach at Louisiana Tech. Should've just allowed Chaney to be interim HC and hired a new coach at the end of the year.

Finebaum said on his show yesterday he thinks the AD hire is already done and will come from the 3 names that are being talked about already. Since its Finebaum, take it with a grain of salt - but, I've heard similar from others in the media.

Finebaum said on his show yesterday he thinks the AD hire is already done and will come from the 3 names that are being talked about already. Since its Finebaum, take it with a grain of salt - but, I've heard similar from others in the media.
finebaum doesn't know jack... but I would be surprised if what he is saying is right. it's going to be easier to get an AD than a HC

Exactly...UT is playing checkers while the winning programs are playing chess.

I will be surprised if the AD search takes months as the school should already have a list of potential candidates. For critical jobs, the school should maintain a list of candidates at all times. The current situation may revise the list by adding/removing potential candidates, but (hopefully) we are not starting from scratch.

I think the AD is a done deal too. Not trying to go all conspiracy theory, but I saw a tweet yesterday showing ECU’s Gilbert twitter handle gaining some new followers like Tee Martin and others. It could be nothing, it could be something . Pretty weird coincidence that that would happen though.

finebaum doesn't know jack... but I would be surprised if what he is saying is right. it's going to be easier to get an AD than a HC
I’m not putting money on it but I feel like there will be a new AD and head coach named in a week. The next AD probably already has his man pegged.

remember in the presser they said they hired the search firm last week BEFORE they announced the firing of Pruitt and retirement of Fulmer. Anyone else find that interesting :)

wheels have been in motion

The wheels have been in motion for awhile on all job voids. We just found out yesterday but like most major corporations those that make the call have been on it and have it dwindled down.

tenor.gif

Reactions: kcvols1
I’m not putting money on it but I feel like there will be a new AD and head coach named in a week. The next AD probably already has his man pegged.
I don't expect a HC in a week. too many on the list to interview I would think but we'll see

I wonder how long it has been known Fulmer was going to be forced to retire? If that piece was a more recent development I could see the AD hire taking longer than initially anticipated. If they knew Fulmer would also be going (from fairly early on) they should have had time to put together a competent AD list.

We as a fan base are very impatient with this process. Understandable because of our recent debacles.
However, we need to all chill out this time. If it takes a year to get the RIGHT people then so be it. As long as we get the RIGHT people. Firing Pruitt was ripping the bandaid off. There is still time needed to heal from that wound. With or without Pruitt next season was a bust. Now let’s get a good AD and give them time to hire the right coach.
Damn Amazon for fueling this “have to have it right now” attitude of this generation.

I think the AD is a done deal too. Not trying to go all conspiracy theory, but I saw a tweet yesterday showing ECU’s Gilbert twitter handle gaining some new followers like Tee Martin and others. It could be nothing, it could be something . Pretty weird coincidence that that would happen though.

Exactly. If anyone thinks Fulmer hasn't been talking to Plowman about retirement for some time now, they're not paying attention. If anything, his announcement and the AD search probably was delayed once the Football allegations were made and the investigation started.

This is exactly what I've been saying may and should happen.

Steele being an excellent recruiter helps keep the recruiting class together and he may just do well enough to earn the job permanently. Regardless, I'm all for taking our time and getting it right this time.

It's not about speed, it's about getting both hires done right. I think we should all be patient, these 2 hires will make or break the football program.

VN Store

Back