Timing the AD & Coaching Hire - Mark Schlabach (ESPN)

I don't think the class of 2022 should be a big factor in any of this. With the right AD hiring the right coach, I believe recruiting would work itself out. Not to mention not knowing how the one time transfer rule would play in all of this. First things first, a competent AD.

Getting rid of Pruitt was addition by subtraction. We are already ahead of where we were by that fact alone. Taking our time, and using Steele as the interim, though not optimal, is probably the course of action with the most upside right now. We don't really know what the NCAA is going to do...based on LSU and UNC, maybe far less than expected. I don't think concerns over a particular class should be a factor. We have to get this right.

If Steele is able to keep our head above water for a year...say 6 wins, and stabilize recruiting, we will be in a far better position to hire a successful coach. That will be especially true if we navigate the NCAA issue with less damage than expected. He's certainly not my choice, but he is family and well-respected throughout the league. Our options will be much brighter, and our path forward more clear by mid-season.

I having a hard time seeing how we are not in a better situation, without the worst coach in our history coming off of our worst season ever, than we were before yesterday. I have far more hope than I did moving forward with him.

This morning, Mark Schlabach (on First Take - ESPNU radio) had an opinion UT would take its time in hiring the new AD, guessing 2-3 months. He mentioned hiring a search firm seems to indicate Plowman's interest in conducting a nationwide search, which if done correctly, would take time. I thought this was interesting, considering many think going slow will be detrimental to the football program.

Of course this also led into the discussion about hiring a new coach. He indicated if the AD hire indeed takes that long, UT likely rides through next year with Steele before making a permanent HC hire.

Do I trust the administration to get it right? If I am going off past hires, no. Securing a legit AD fairly quickly would give me hope. Taking 2-3 months to find that AD would only reinforce the idea our administration still doesn't know what they are doing. JMO
If this ends up being the case, we are screwed. You cannot recruit with an interim and pending sanctions while the UT admin gets around to a hire in the next year. This would be a disaster for the program and likely the end of our ability to recover.

remember in the presser they said they hired the search firm last week BEFORE they announced the firing of Pruitt and retirement of Fulmer. Anyone else find that interesting :)

wheels have been in motion
I think that whole thing yesterday was bull$hit. I think they gave Fulmer an easy way out because it preserved his legacy and at least kept us somewhat attractive to outsiders. If you throw the one coach who has actually won here in the last 25 years under the bus it would look awful. And we already are a tough sell to coaches whether us fans want to admit it or not. We don’t need to further our reputation by publicly burning Fulmer. Yesterday Plowman and Boyd did the dance they needed to do w/ Fulmer, but I don’t believe about 90 percent of what i heard.

finebaum doesn't know jack... but I would be surprised if what he is saying is right. it's going to be easier to get an AD than a HC

The AD hire is really just between two - Gilbert and Ingram. Both are solid hires. Interviews and decision would come relatively quickly I would think. In fact, decision may already have been made. The coach is a different animal all together... Our pool to select from is very shallow.

Reactions: Volbrando
I think that whole thing yesterday was bull$hit. I think they gave Fulmer an easy way out because it preserved his legacy and at least kept us somewhat attractive to outsiders. If you throw the one coach who has actually won here in the last 25 years under the bus it would look awful. And we already are a tough sell to coaches whether us fans want to admit it or not. We don’t need to further our reputation by publicly burning Fulmer. Yesterday Plowman and Boyd did the dance they needed to do w/ Fulmer, but I don’t believe about 90 percent of what i heard.
completely agree with that... it was window dressing to save his legacy after being fired before

This morning, Mark Schlabach (on First Take - ESPNU radio) had an opinion UT would take its time in hiring the new AD, guessing 2-3 months. He mentioned hiring a search firm seems to indicate Plowman's interest in conducting a nationwide search, which if done correctly, would take time. I thought this was interesting, considering many think going slow will be detrimental to the football program.

Of course this also led into the discussion about hiring a new coach. He indicated if the AD hire indeed takes that long, UT likely rides through next year with Steele before making a permanent HC hire.

Do I trust the administration to get it right? If I am going off past hires, no. Securing a legit AD fairly quickly would give me hope. Taking 2-3 months to find that AD would only reinforce the idea our administration still doesn't know what they are doing. JMO
I think Gilbert will be AD by weeks end

Oh I don’t think we need further proof that no one knows what they’re doing up there. To me getting this right is far more important than getting it done fast. Even if an AD is hired fast your pool of coaches at this point in the year will be fairly thin with sanctions hanging over head and an investigation still going.

Unless they already have Gus or the guy from Iowa St locked in they should just take their time

Plowman and Boyd have known this is coming for weeks. They've been waiting for the investigation to finalize before making it official, but they knew it was coming. If you think they haven't been vetting candidates behind the scenes you're crazy. There's no way they're just now starting this. They didn't fire Pruitt and retire Fulmer and are just gonna fly by the seat of their pants now. I expect the new AD to be announced this week. Probably won't move that quick on a new HC, but AD will be quick.

The longer the process takes, the less money available. I do believe some closure on NCAA is required for new coaching staff and recruits. If the price is right, coaches will see the green and sign in the line. Look at Leach and Kiffen and their success this year. Stoops at Kentucky has worked out pretty good for a basketball school. I don’t remember those hirings staking very long.

completely agree with that... it was window dressing to save his legacy after being fired before
You couldn’t fire Phil twice. You just couldn’t do it and not have “Tennessee fired the only coach that’s won a National Title twice. Those people are ruthless.”

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Employing a national coaching search sort of feels like UT has no short list and no clue which direction to go. You all know what that means...

Oh well. I'm counting on sucking for infinity. At least the Titans are somewhat competitive.

Exactly. If anyone thinks Fulmer hasn't been talking to Plowman about retirement for some time now, they're not paying attention. If anything, his announcement and the AD search probably was delayed once the Football allegations were made and the investigation started.
I don’t agree with you. I don’t think Fulmer had any attention if retiring before mid-season or likely until the last month or so when the investigation became public. No sources just my opinion.

I don't think the class of 2022 should be a big factor in any of this. With the right AD hiring the right coach, I believe recruiting would work itself out. Not to mention not knowing how the one time transfer rule would play in all of this. First things first, a competent AD.
I'm not sure what is more important at this juncture, but the 2022 in-state recruiting class is nearly as vital as an AD and HC for many years down the road. It is the first in-state class that rivals the major talent states and sets the stage for many future classes.

Reactions: Volfan1000
2-3 WEEKS is one thing. 2-3 MONTHS is ridiculous. The wheels should had started moving in some fashion several weeks ago.

As we all know an interim coach will destabilize the roster and kill recruiting. Turning a 1-2 year set back to a 3-4 set back.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
It's not about speed, it's about getting both hires done right. I think we should all be patient, these 2 hires will make or break the football program.

I don't disagree. I don't want UT to move fast just to move fast. We all want it done right, but neither taking time nor going faster guarantees it's done right when looking at past administration moves.

VN Store

Back