Time to Pay up

yeah I don't want to be like Texas A&M.

Earn it.

You are exactly right, of course. 20+years of futility will cause people to make rushed decisions. Like when you didn't really think you wanted to date the girl exclusively, until you found out she was going to a date night with a guy in another fraternity.

Counting OU and TX, the current recruitng class ranks 7th in the SEC, even after the success of this year. How much ground can be made up in the next 2 weeks before ESD? Can you really count on the transfer portal to prop up a program every year? At some point, doesn't that hurt high school recruiting?

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I’m not arguing that we can’t give him any kind of raise. Basing that raise on Stoops is a ridiculous idea. He’s got more in common with Mel Tucker at this point than the other guys making 8.5.
I'm not in favor of the ridiculously long contracts for anyone without a pedigree like Saban or Smart.

Three things we need to do IMO.

1. Make Heupel a mid-range salary SEC coach. I'd imagine that's about $8M/yr but someone else may like math more than me.

2. Discuss Heupel's staff and their salaries. Talk with him about who he sees as a "long term guy" and who isn't. Look at who he'd like to hire and what they are currently making, etc.

3. DO NOT be crazy with a contract length. I prefer 5 or 6 years as a maximum length.

Really, we probably aren't that far off and I think the SEC salaries are crazy but again, that's the market we are in.

yeah I don't want to be like Texas A&M.

Earn it.

Don't disagree, but to be fair Jimbo is 39 - 21 at aTm, or .65 winning percentage. Josh is 17 - 8 at Tennessee, or a .68 winning percentage. Throw in Josh's overall record as a HC, he's at 45 - 16, or .738. Oddly enough, Jimbo's overall record as HC is 122 - 44 or a .735 winning percentage, but that's mostly bolstered by his record at Fla State and he may not be able to salvage his career at aTm. Huepel is climbing. I fully expect Danny White to give CJH a nice raise and probably add on a year or two on the contract. He deserves it from where he inherited this program. Jimbo inherited two programs with some really nice talent ready made for winning.

Reactions: Volfan1000
just give him $10 million dollar bonus payable in equal monthly installments over the next four years so long as he stays. don't connect it to his contract. no extension. no increased buyout.

Don't disagree, but to be fair Jimbo is 39 - 21 at aTm, or .65 winning percentage. Josh is 17 - 8 at Tennessee, or a .68 winning percentage. Throw in Josh's overall record as a HC, he's at 45 - 16, or .738. Oddly enough, Jimbo's overall record as HC is 122 - 44 or a .735 winning percentage, but that's mostly bolstered by his record at Fla State and he may not be able to salvage his career at aTm. Huepel is climbing. I fully expect Danny White to give CJH a nice raise and probably add on a year or two on the contract. He deserves it from where he inherited this program. Jimbo inherited two programs with some really nice talent ready made for winning.
That’s all nice, but championships are what really matter. Never thought he had what it takes to bring them to College Station, so his pay always seemed ludicrous to me.

Reactions: Vol737
Sustained domination is more than a head football coach hire.

You have to be selling something that attracts the best players and be able to motivate players and coaches.

This is why the SC game sticks in my craw.

That’s all nice, but championships are what really matter. Never thought he had what it takes to bring them to College Station, so his pay always seemed ludicrous to me.

It absolutely was. I agree with prior posts wrt no 10 year contracts. This game eventually passes most every coach by. My larger point is pay the man commensurate with the results and keep him from really looking elsewhere, but don’t get out over our skis on the longevity of the contract. It’s biting A&M hard right now…a lesson for all programs.

Reactions: loservol

You have to be selling something that attracts the best players and be able to motivate players and coaches.

Definitely a red flag that the locker room seemed to fall apart like that, if even only briefly. Worth monitoring, but not panicking.

Reactions: loservol
It absolutely was. I agree with prior posts wrt no 10 year contracts. This game eventually passes most every coach by. My larger point is pay the man commensurate with the results and keep him from really looking elsewhere, but don’t get out over our skis on the longevity of the contract. It’s biting A&M hard right now…a lesson for all programs.
That’s fine. I think the risk of him leaving in the near future is pretty overblown. He seems to like it here, has resources he really won’t exceed elsewhere, and seems to have a good relationship with our AD. Beyond that, I just don’t think many comparable programs are going to be calling with as short as his HC resume is at present. I don’t think we need to go nuts with his pay. He’s almost certainly better than Stoops or Tucker, but those guys are way overpaid and shouldn’t be benchmarks.

In a few years, I think we're going to be looking back on that game the same way people of a certain age have looked back at the 2001 SECCG. Everything was in front of us, then 'poof'..it was gone and it took 21 years to get another real sniff.

In a few years, I think we're going to be looking back on that game the same way people of a certain age have looked back at the 2001 SECCG. Everything was in front of us, then 'poof'..it was gone and it took 21 years to get another real sniff.
I think the potential is there. I tend to think for that to happen that Heupel would have to really mismanage his staff, which I don’t think Danny White will allow, and/or Nico would have to be a bust, which I wouldn’t expect.

Ole Miss is paying Kiffin $9 million. Heupel deserves at least 8 imo. Some big school could take him away from us if we don’t pay him. He has made the university much more than 10 million this year with all the extra tickets and merchandise sales alone.

Like many, I’m still a bit in maintaing the pay to perform. For those in the “pay him now” and “pay him later camps,“ what is the average going rate for a D1 SEC coach per win? $1M? Whatever it is, I’d use the “floor” expectations as base (e.g. if you can’t give us this many wins you’re done here… ref Jimbo) but include language in contract saying “for all additional wins above floor, you will get $X.XM dollars… as well as perks for getting into/winning conference/cfp championships). On good year (like 2022), you will get a bunch more than we agreed to. If falling short, let’s start discussing what resources you need (facilities, coaching staff, etc) to get us where we both want to go (championships). Not too hard, I think.

if I were university negotiator talking to Jimmy Sexton, I’d be like “we both know our coach is a winner - we’re ready to pay for the winning unless you have an issue with winning?”.

Maybe we should just give coach a $1.5M Christmas bonus (and staff a $1M bonus) for great job in 2022 until we can figure out a better contract for both sides?

Last edited:
Like many, I’m still a bit in maintaing the pay to perform. For those in the “pay him now” and “pay him later camps,“ what is the average going rate for a D1 SEC coach per win? $1M? Whatever it is, I’d use the “floor” expectations as base (e.g. if you can’t give us this many wins you’re done here… ref Jimbo) but include language in contract saying “for all additional wins above floor, you will get $X.XM dollars… as well as perks for getting into/winning conference/cfp championships). On good year (like 2022), you will get a bunch more than we agreed to. If falling short, let’s start discussing what resources you need (facilities, coaching staff, etc) to get us where we both want to go (championships). Not too hard, I think.

if I were university negotiator talking to Jimmy Sexton, I’d be like “we both know our coach is a winner - we’re ready to pay for the winning unless you have an issue with winning?”.

Maybe we should just give coach a $1.5M Christmas bonus (and staff a $1M bonus) for great job in 2022 until we can figure out a better contract for both sides?
Did you really graduate from college in 1989?!

I'm clearly scarred because all I think about is the buyouts we've paid when the give him a raise crowd comes out
Of course the thing to ask yourself is how many of those coaches since Fulmer have provided a ten win regular season? With Heupel, we would not be giving a raise based on a promising outlook; but in goods already delivered. Big difference. Pay the man what he has already earned

Reactions: DMichel123
With the latest addition of Hugh Freeze to the SEC, Heupel is way under paid for what he has done in 2 short years. We are no longer hoping or thinking maybe he can bring us back to top 10 football and the opportunity to compete with the elite, he has done it. I think he should be around the $7m/year mark and room to grow once he can get us in the final 4 and SEC championship(s). What does VN think is a number to keep away the "hawks" from swooping in to grab him away?

College Football Coaching Salaries: SEC
Completely agree.

Earn this...is what I say.
Lets make sure we don't go 7-5 next year 1st.
No 10 year contracts.
4 max.

I think Hype has done a very good job. I say wait and see what happens next year. We also do not know what he will do with his own recruits. Most of our stars on offense are Pruitts recruits. If someone trys to get him you can always offer him a raise at that time; which a lot of schools have done, as recent as Ole Ms. We have had it done to us also. I hope we do even better with Hypes recruits.

When we go 7-5 or 5-7 next year and Josh the Hoopla is sitting on a 90 million dollar contract for 10 years it will look brilliant.
Of course had we beaten SC i would think differently.

Intentionally mispronouncing Heupels name shows what kind of troll you actually are.

Heupel is getting 250k in bonuses this year (SEC coach of the year and New Year's 6 bowl). He also has some bonuses on the table for top 5, 10, and 25 finishes.

I believe Coach Heupel will get a healthy increase in pay. You have to shell out the money for your team to sit at the big boys table.

VN Store

Back