Time to Pay up

CJH has 4 yrs remainng on his current contract?? I would think a two year extension and a bump from 5mil to 6.5mil would be reasonable.

If I'm not mistaken, that would get him to 6th in the conference. Also, a 10 to 15% raise for the assistant coaches not named Banks and Martinez.

Saban was signed to an 8 year 32 million dollar deal in 2007.
5 million a year minus incentives.
Inflation would make that initial contract today an 56 million dollar contract.
Is JH Saban material for 8 years?
The inflation rate on coaches salary has far outpaced actual inflation. The only number that matters is how much is someone else willing to pay him that would make him jump.

The inflation rate on coaches salary has far outpaced actual inflation. The only number that matters is how much is someone else willing to pay him that would make him jump.
If someone is trying to hire him away, then that is a different story. I’m not aware of any attempts, so I don’t see the need to pay him top dollar.

If someone is trying to hire him away, then that is a different story. I’m not aware of any attempts, so I don’t see the need to pay him top dollar.
Why would you be aware? You don't think there are checks with his agent? Have you watched a single UT coaching search? Back channel is how this is done. The best strategy is to keep your coach happy if you value him.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Paying him less than Stoops is definitely not an insult. Stoops is making top 10 money. We don’t need to make decisions based on what terrible programs are doing.
The raise Heupel got this year made him the 11th best paid coach in the SEC.

Do you think he's anywhere near the 11th best coach in the SEC? Regardless of the craziness of coach's salaries in the SEC, that's the market we are in.

It's like a marriage, if you don't show them how much you appreciate them...... someone else will.

The raise Heupel got this year made him the 11th best paid coach in the SEC.

Do you think he's anywhere near the 11th best coach in the SEC? Regardless of the craziness of coach's salaries in the SEC, that's the market we are in.

It's like a marriage, if you don't show them how much you appreciate them...... someone else will.

It rarely happens and it’s usually a smaller school with obvious limitations the coach is trying to escape. We aren’t losing Heupel if we want him.

Why would you be aware? You don't think there are checks with his agent? Have you watched a single UT coaching search? Back channel is how this is done. The best strategy is to keep your coach happy if you value him.

Have you watched a single UT coaching search? We’ve not successfully kept anything in the back channels since Kiffin was hired. Hart was having Jimbo pick his dumb ass up at the airport.

Stoops is making 8 and a half million. Gotta think our coach is worth that much at least. Although I will say stoops is overpaid for what he produces year to year

Stoops is making 8 and a half million. Gotta think our coach is worth that much at least. Although I will say stoops is overpaid for what he produces year to year
Look at the guys making more than Stoops. They all have multiple championships and playoff appearances. His pay is ridiculous and we don’t need to use him as a measure stick. The one outlier in there is Michigan State’s coach, who they idiotically gave a monster contract after one good season.

Reactions: loservol
It rarely happens and it’s usually a smaller school with obvious limitations the coach is trying to escape. We aren’t losing Heupel if we want him.
It rarely happens because big-time coaches get paid. If you're underpaying, you're inviting someone to poach your coach.

If someone gets to Heupel's agent, lets him know they've got an offer to give him $9M at a comparable university instead of the $6M we're paying..... why should he stay?

I get it if you don't think he's worth it. I do. Maybe you haven't been watching the last decade+ but I have. Heupel has done the work, turned around the culture, made us relevant again after years of chaos. Pay the man or someone else will.

It rarely happens because big-time coaches get paid. If you're underpaying, you're inviting someone to poach your coach.

If someone gets to Heupel's agent, lets him know they've got an offer to give him $9M at a comparable university instead of the $6M we're paying..... why should he stay?

I get it if you don't think he's worth it. I do. Maybe you haven't been watching the last decade+ but I have. Heupel has done the work, turned around the culture, made us relevant again after years of chaos. Pay the man or someone else will.
He would give us an opportunity to counter. We’ve given him everything he has needed including insane NIL packages to get the guys he said he wanted.

But realistically, no one is going to offer him 9 million right now. He was down the list for us when we offered and we were bargaining from a horrible position. Since then, he’s had one really good season. No major players are going to want him at this point.

He would give us an opportunity to counter. We’ve given him everything he has needed including insane NIL packages to get the guys he said he wanted.

But realistically, no one is going to offer him 9 million right now. He was down the list for us when we offered and we were bargaining from a horrible position. Since then, he’s had one really good season. No major players are going to want him at this point.
So that's how you treat employees? You wait until someone else wants them, then run to them and say, "Wait..... wait..... we'll match or beat that!"

I'll bet any employees you have feel extremely appreciated. Jeez......

Reactions: ohhbother

How do you feel in a job if you are offered double your salary to go work for the competition??? You feel an obligation to allow your employers to match it??? Or do you feel cheated you weren’t being paid your value and betrayed that you weren’t appreciated. The absolute hypocrisy here just apply how you would feel.

So that's how you treat employees? You wait until someone else wants them, then run to them and say, "Wait..... wait..... we'll match or beat that!"

I'll bet any employees you have feel extremely appreciated. Jeez......
My employees average over 15 years at their current positions and it’s probably the best time ever to look around. I’ve never had a single one leave for another job. I guess they feel appreciated enough. I doubt any of them were expecting to be paid too 5% money in their profession after less than two years on the job and accomplishments that fell far short of those in that range.

Reactions: Volfan1000
How do you feel in a job if you are offered double your salary to go work for the competition??? You feel an obligation to allow your employers to match it??? Or do you feel cheated you weren’t being paid your value and betrayed that you weren’t appreciated. The absolute hypocrisy here just apply how you would feel.

I would if I’d spent the last two years recruiting a bunch of kids to play for me. I’d probably also prefer not to start another rebuild if I didn’t have to do so.

You’re just throwing out hypotheticals, though. The market is not currently valuing Heupel at nine million a year.

Look at the guys making more than Stoops. They all have multiple championships and playoff appearances. His pay is ridiculous and we don’t need to use him as a measure stick. The one outlier in there is Michigan State’s coach, who they idiotically gave a monster contract after one good season.

If I was Heupel I would use any other SEC coach I could as a measuring stick, if it implied paying me more money. Whether stoops is worth it or not, I bet you some other team would pay coach H 8.5 a year. I do understand the caution though since he has not proven this success multiple years

If I was Heupel I would use any other SEC coach I could as a measuring stick, if it implied paying me more money. Whether stoops is worth it or not, I bet you some other team would pay coach H 8.5 a year. I do understand the caution though since he has not proven this success multiple years

I certainly wouldn’t blame Heupel or his agent for bringing that up. If I were Danny White, I’d not place a ton of value on Kentucky football decisions, though.

Reactions: kratos
I certainly wouldn’t blame Heupel or his agent for bringing that up. If I were Danny White, I’d not place a ton of value on Kentucky football decisions, though.
Quick question.

Who in the SEC do you think is worth more than Heupel? We'll agree on Saban and Smart but name someone else and let's look up their salary.

Shall we?

Earn this...is what I say.
Lets make sure we don't go 7-5 next year 1st.
No 10 year contracts.
4 max.
If im not mistaken in TN you can not have over a 5 year contract. I know in MS it is a 4 year deal
That has its up sides as well as down sides

Quick question.

Who in the SEC do you think is worth more than Heupel? We'll agree on Saban and Smart but name someone else and let's look up their salary.

Shall we?
I’m not arguing that we can’t give him any kind of raise. Basing that raise on Stoops is a ridiculous idea. He’s got more in common with Mel Tucker at this point than the other guys making 8.5.

VN Store

Back