Time Out on JG................

I just don’t understand some of these fans. There was a time I said the vols had the best fans in all of college football. I based that on home attnendance, the fans that traveled for away and bowl games and the calls that came in on radio shows. Always have been some negativity but not to the point to where facts doesn’t get through to the fans.

It isn't just our fans. We're in an era of hate on a level not seen since the Indian (Native American) Wars. I think a bunch of psychologists and some other group did a study on this. Add that to the preexisting Jerry Springerism in society among other things. It's a sad reality people are becoming barbarians all over again. Not that it ever left humanity given wars we keep going, big and small. Unfortunately, Vols fans aren't immune to this phenomenon. It's practically a social trend these days. Look at the TV shows, movies, and other media including books and comic books that historically reflect trends in society. It's all there for those who know what they're seeing and hearing. Same can be said with the increasing rise of LGBT themes and scenes in the same reflecting media. I don't like seeing our players subjected to hateful judgmental comments about their success or lack of it. They sweat, play, and toil in the right uniforms. They should be and treated like our guys come hell or high water. But you know, haters are on autopilot, they can't help hating.

Last edited:
Funny thing is JG will just keep improving after making a leaps & bound improvement last year, but this time it will be a Chaney Tent Revival. No, it's just JG is good. But I'm already preparing for all the "Chaney made him good" nonsense. Because 141 qbr is so bad behind one of the worst OL in the nation.

LoL. He already hire an agent?

It isn't just our fans. We're in an era of hate on a level not seen Indian (Native American) Wars. I think a bunch of psychologists and some other group did a study on this. Add that to the preexisting Jerry Springerism in society among other things. It's a sad reality people are becoming barbarians all over again. Not that it ever left humanity given wars we keep going, big and small. Unfortunately, Vols fans aren't immune to this phenomenon. It's practically a social trend these days. Look at the TV shows, movies, and other media including books and comic books that historically reflect trends in society. It's all there for those who know what they're seeing and hearing. Same can be said with the increasing rise of LGBT themes in the same reflecting media. I don't like seeing our players subjected to hateful judgmental comments about there success or lack of it. They sweat, play, and toil in the right uniforms. They should be and treated like our guys come hell or high water. But you know, haters are on autopilot, they can't help hating.

This is right on.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
21 is a child in your eyes? Are you serious?
He's old enough to buy a beer but you think he's a kid..lol

Surely you know what he means. At my age, 21 playing football in college is a kid. If my girlfriend was 18-21, alot of people would call me a cradfle robber. Perspective.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
I think that has changed. Starting this spring.

We dont really know what we have on qb roster, 2 of them have not played the first snap. I for one, want the qb who gives us the best chance to win be the starting qb, whoever it is, and I trust our coach to make that decision.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No comeback needed. JG already +5 QBR on Crompton's senior season. Double the TD/INT ratio, +4% completion and +.5 YPA. We good.

But if he can make the veteran leap like Dobbs did over 150 qbr and 8+ ypa, woahhh.

TD is the only stat that matters, you should probably wake up from your homer induced coma and understand that.

Funny thing is JG will just keep improving after making a leaps & bound improvement last year, but this time it will be a Chaney Tent Revival. No, it's just JG is good. But I'm already preparing for all the "Chaney made him good" nonsense. Because 141 qbr is so bad behind one of the worst OL in the nation.

JG can't even make a read on an RPO good luck in chaney's offense

Why Jarrett Guarantano likes Jim Chaney's offense for Tennessee football

“There’s a lot of hot throws,” Guarantano explained. “I get to control the protection, so I’m very excited for that. It’s just me being a master of the offense now.

“Hot throws, just different coverage-beaters. Just being able to pick a side, stay a side. Those type of things.” (Knox News Sentinel)

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
Never saw the need to talk trash about someone who gives their all for the team I love.I will however talk up a backup at that position if I feel a change is needed. Sometimes no matter how much a player loves the team he's just not good enough, don't believe that to be a reason to talk trash about them. I remember in my youth plenty of things I wasn't as good at as I would have liked and I'm sure that goes for everybody not just JG and I. It's amazing to me how much the people in the states have changed over the years. JMO
Snowflake

Experienced QB's deal with new OC's and perform every single year. There are true Fr with less physical ability than JG who manage to "get it" in their first year. You're right that there will be excuse makers though if it doesn't go well.

I DO assume that Chaney is JG's best shot at becoming a good QB. He did it with Crompton but also with Peterman. I would argue he got the most out of Bray.

But even if Chaney factors into it... there will be plenty of credit for JG if he turns it around.

Absolutely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JG looks like a different QB this year.

Okay let’s state facts not opinions but opinions don’t count in the real world. For all of you arm chair qbs and arm chair coaches here on VN. Last season Tennessee quarterbacks had an average of 2.1 seconds to throw the ball that was last in the SEC and was above 100 in the country. JG knew everytime a pass play was called he was going to get hit and usually by multiple players (sometimes his own Oline). I don’t remeber the exact number but I know at one point last year he led the nation in being knocked down. Everyone out yourself in his shoes by the third or fourth game of the year he had been sacked or knocked down around 40 times. By that point confidence in his line and himself would had to be low. Eventually the pain of being hit overshadows the play on the field. Here is another fact for you guys Peyton Manning last two seasons here he had over 3.5 seconds to throw the ball actually 3.8 his senior season.

Since this is an opinionated board I will throw one of mine in. Tua at Bama would not have lasted five games here last year. He had over 3 seconds to throw last year and came out almost every game with an injury. He was hit and sacked less than half of JG was and still had issues with injuries.

So now you guys can bash my JG facts.
That average is skewed by all the times he had less than .6 seconds(Get away from that clock.) to get rid of the ball.

What blew my mind is the number of times he trusted his blocking just to get blown up.

The catch and throws against Auburn that worked so well should have been used more often once there was a sign (Our 1st play from scrimmage.) that protection could be a major issue.

Our 1st possession against the gumps on 3rd and long an obvious passing down he drop back just to get blasted, sack fumble, setting them up for another score.

By then everybody that watched Vol football knew that was asking for it.

Reactions: MustafaRasta
Battered Vol Syndrome is real. I think JG will be greatly improved, but I doubt the offensive line will be any different. First day of practice and we are already scrambling for bodies, running walk-ons. I am ******* sic and tired of not having a line.

It's the pits.

Battered Vol Syndrome is real. I think JG will be greatly improved, but I doubt the offensive line will be any different. First day of practice and we are already scrambling for bodies, running walk-ons. I am ******* sic and tired of not having a line.

I'd be willing to bet the OL takes a decent step forward this year. If you look at his history, Friend has shown a propsensity to improve in y2, y3, and so on. Plus add Fitz and the gains that have been made just in a few months and more coming. Obviously no Smith or Richmond possibilities could have an impact and you never what will happen, but history and odds are on having good improvement across the unit YoY.

It would be nice but a select few go to every thread and find a way to talk **** about him.
I would bet these same bashed a freshman named Manning because he was “not as good as Stewart”. Similar to the idiot talk show host in Indy saying Ryan Leaf should be first.

Reactions: butchna
How about bashing is fine (and actually expected) until he shuts up the doubters with his play on the field...as is typically the case for any starting qb in the sec.
Or another other player or coach, at any position.

JG can't even make a read on an RPO good luck in chaney's offense
We don't know yet that he "can't". Chaney is among the best at getting QB's turned around. Hopefully he can do it for JG.

FWIW, an RPO isn't that easy to read. I'm more concerned with the much more basic pre-snap reads he's struggled with.

Reactions: kbear01
I would bet these same bashed a freshman named Manning because he was “not as good as Stewart”. Similar to the idiot talk show host in Indy saying Ryan Leaf should be first.
I would bet that you're 100% wrong. JG isn't a freshman. He started late in his RS Fr year... and his whole Soph year... and he is behind where Manning was at the end of his Fr year.

I would bet that you're 100% wrong. JG isn't a freshman. He started late in his RS Fr year... and his whole Soph year... and he is behind where Manning was at the end of his Fr year.
This is a direct result of good competition for the starting job, great QB coaching, understanding that over 50% of the work is done watching film, and a incredible work ethic. Manning had some tools. But, I think JG is more athletically gifted. Arm strength being nearly equal. Confidence was a big plus, with Peyton. He grew up throwing passes. JG was a dual-threat QB, in HS. He made alot of things happen with his legs. Why he doesn't do that now, is a big freakin' mystery. Our new OC will insist on time spent in the film room, learning to read defenses. I also think he will encourage JG to be more decisive, especially with his legs. Move the chains, when you can. Otherwise, throw up a 50/50 ball, to the sideline, or throw it in the stands. I also believe that Chaney will have a dump down, on every called pass play. Hot-reads, dump-downs, and getting positive yards, on every play. This offense cannot recover from 10-12 yd losses. I just hope Chaney incorporates more discipline, than he had at UGA. UGA led the conference in penalties, or was ranked very high, each year he was OC. We can't shoot ourselves in the foot, and win, consistently.

This is a direct result of good competition for the starting job, great QB coaching, understanding that over 50% of the work is done watching film, and a incredible work ethic. Manning had some tools. But, I think JG is more athletically gifted.
Maybe more athletic but there's more to a QB than that. There is mental talent... and it is no more equally distributed than physical talent. Manning had a unique ability even among the greatest of all time to "visualize"... to "read" D's. JG has not demonstrated that as a strength. Ultimately it is far more important than the athletic difference between the two.

Arm strength being nearly equal.
. No. Manning had a much shorter delivery with good velocity without losing accuracy. Manning knew how to lead receivers and did so frequently. Manning by his true Jr year had demonstrated more arm talent than JG entering his RS Jr year.
Confidence was a big plus, with Peyton. He grew up throwing passes. JG was a dual-threat QB, in HS.
JG was primarily a throwing QB in HS. He was not a DT QB though for some reason he got that label... possibly some passive racism.

He made alot of things happen with his legs. Why he doesn't do that now, is a big freakin' mystery.
Can you prove he ever did? IIRC, he never eclipsed 500 yds rushing in HS. He isn't doing it probably because what he did running in HS was more about competition than innate running ability.

JG is a pro-style QB. It is a mistake to try to make him something else.

Our new OC will insist on time spent in the film room, learning to read defenses.
Yes. Chaney will also find his ceiling both mentally and physically then do what he can with him. This is JG's best shot... but it is also a do or die. If he cannot do what Chaney requires by reading D's better and making good, quick decisions with the ball... Chaney will replace him.

I also think he will encourage JG to be more decisive, especially with his legs. Move the chains, when you can.
We'll see but I don't think so. One, see above. JG isn't a runner. He's a passer... and has a GREAT arm for the job. Two, if he can learn to do the mental part well... they need to keep him healthy.

Otherwise, throw up a 50/50 ball, to the sideline, or throw it in the stands. I also believe that Chaney will have a dump down, on every called pass play.
You just described what they gave him last year... it isn't enough... it isn't close to being enough.

Hot-reads, dump-downs, and getting positive yards, on every play. This offense cannot recover from 10-12 yd losses. I just hope Chaney incorporates more discipline, than he had at UGA. UGA led the conference in penalties, or was ranked very high, each year he was OC. We can't shoot ourselves in the foot, and win, consistently.
UT needs to use the middle of the field to open up the run game and prevent exotic fronts/rushes. I think they can recover because JG has the arm if he can start "seeing" the coverage.

One of the biproducts of a more aggressive OL will be penalties. That said, Chaney's O's at UGA were 3rd best in penalties last year, 11th the year before, and 3rd his first year. UT was 2nd, 4th, and 12th over the last 3 years... with their best O by far being the one with the most penalties.

If people do decide to pile up on JG one thing is for certain. He can take it. That kid has been beat like a government mule and keeps getting up.

Rushing for 500 yards in high school was a pretty heady achievement since he never finished a complete season. I think he has the ability with the legs...just not the instincts.

Rushing for 500 yards in high school was a pretty heady achievement since he never finished a complete season. I think he has the ability with the legs...just not the instincts.
Kind of sounds like his passing ability. Few UT QB's in my lifetime have thrown a prettier pass than JG.

VN Store

Back