Time Out on JG................

sjt18

Hard to argue JG’s progress or lack thereof for the coming year as some will automatically assume Chaney will perform a Crompton on him and others will place blame on having to learn a new system under another new OC. I personally hope that JG takes a huge step forward this year. Go Vols
Experienced QB's deal with new OC's and perform every single year. There are true Fr with less physical ability than JG who manage to "get it" in their first year. You're right that there will be excuse makers though if it doesn't go well.

I DO assume that Chaney is JG's best shot at becoming a good QB. He did it with Crompton but also with Peterman. I would argue he got the most out of Bray.

But even if Chaney factors into it... there will be plenty of credit for JG if he turns it around.

sjt18

When they're calling a single member of the OL "garbage?" Yes.
Oh, so if someone said all of the QB's were terrible including the starter then that would be OK, right?

FTR, I haven't said JG was garbage. I haven't said any or all of the OL's are garbage. I've criticized both... but strangely not many people make excuses for the OL.

Devo182

Funny thing is JG will just keep improving after making a leaps & bound improvement last year, but this time it will be a Chaney Tent Revival. No, it's just JG is good. But I'm already preparing for all the "Chaney made him good" nonsense. Because 141 qbr is so bad behind one of the worst OL in the nation.

WoodsmanVol

It requires wisdom to understand wisdom
I just don’t understand some of these fans. There was a time I said the vols had the best fans in all of college football. I based that on home attnendance, the fans that traveled for away and bowl games and the calls that came in on radio shows. Always have been some negativity but not to the point to where facts doesn’t get through to the fans.
It isn't just our fans. We're in an era of hate on a level not seen since the Indian (Native American) Wars. I think a bunch of psychologists and some other group did a study on this. Add that to the preexisting Jerry Springerism in society among other things. It's a sad reality people are becoming barbarians all over again. Not that it ever left humanity given wars we keep going, big and small. Unfortunately, Vols fans aren't immune to this phenomenon. It's practically a social trend these days. Look at the TV shows, movies, and other media including books and comic books that historically reflect trends in society. It's all there for those who know what they're seeing and hearing. Same can be said with the increasing rise of LGBT themes and scenes in the same reflecting media. I don't like seeing our players subjected to hateful judgmental comments about their success or lack of it. They sweat, play, and toil in the right uniforms. They should be and treated like our guys come hell or high water. But you know, haters are on autopilot, they can't help hating.

Last edited:

vols 30

Funny thing is JG will just keep improving after making a leaps & bound improvement last year, but this time it will be a Chaney Tent Revival. No, it's just JG is good. But I'm already preparing for all the "Chaney made him good" nonsense. Because 141 qbr is so bad behind one of the worst OL in the nation.
LoL. He already hire an agent?

jwilliams

It isn't just our fans. We're in an era of hate on a level not seen Indian (Native American) Wars. I think a bunch of psychologists and some other group did a study on this. Add that to the preexisting Jerry Springerism in society among other things. It's a sad reality people are becoming barbarians all over again. Not that it ever left humanity given wars we keep going, big and small. Unfortunately, Vols fans aren't immune to this phenomenon. It's practically a social trend these days. Look at the TV shows, movies, and other media including books and comic books that historically reflect trends in society. It's all there for those who know what they're seeing and hearing. Same can be said with the increasing rise of LGBT themes in the same reflecting media. I don't like seeing our players subjected to hateful judgmental comments about there success or lack of it. They sweat, play, and toil in the right uniforms. They should be and treated like our guys come hell or high water. But you know, haters are on autopilot, they can't help hating.

This is right on.

Tacoma Vol

So much to catch up on... here goes...

Way to talk chit about a player buddy... not only a player, but OUR player. FU.

It's been fun for me, because I love UT. I'm also able to talk shop on this board without bashing a kid who's giving his all for the program.

Because he's a child and you're an adult. FU.

Meh... you're not a very good QB either, so...

Honestly, nobody would care if you never mentioned anything at all... ever... at any point in time... especially me...

Oh, you again... FU... again...

LOL

FU
Relax grandpa

The_Basket_Vols

No comeback needed. JG already +5 QBR on Crompton's senior season. Double the TD/INT ratio, +4% completion and +.5 YPA. We good.

But if he can make the veteran leap like Dobbs did over 150 qbr and 8+ ypa, woahhh.
TD is the only stat that matters, you should probably wake up from your homer induced coma and understand that.

The_Basket_Vols

JG can't even make a read on an RPO good luck in chaney's offense

Why Jarrett Guarantano likes Jim Chaney's offense for Tennessee football

“There’s a lot of hot throws,” Guarantano explained. “I get to control the protection, so I’m very excited for that. It’s just me being a master of the offense now.

“Hot throws, just different coverage-beaters. Just being able to pick a side, stay a side. Those type of things.” (Knox News Sentinel)

Last edited:

Iam4utalways

Never saw the need to talk trash about someone who gives their all for the team I love.I will however talk up a backup at that position if I feel a change is needed. Sometimes no matter how much a player loves the team he's just not good enough, don't believe that to be a reason to talk trash about them. I remember in my youth plenty of things I wasn't as good at as I would have liked and I'm sure that goes for everybody not just JG and I. It's amazing to me how much the people in the states have changed over the years. JMO
Snowflake

DC_Vol

Call me Beto
Experienced QB's deal with new OC's and perform every single year. There are true Fr with less physical ability than JG who manage to "get it" in their first year. You're right that there will be excuse makers though if it doesn't go well.

I DO assume that Chaney is JG's best shot at becoming a good QB. He did it with Crompton but also with Peterman. I would argue he got the most out of Bray.

But even if Chaney factors into it... there will be plenty of credit for JG if he turns it around.
Absolutely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JG looks like a different QB this year.

Iam4utalways

Okay let’s state facts not opinions but opinions don’t count in the real world. For all of you arm chair qbs and arm chair coaches here on VN. Last season Tennessee quarterbacks had an average of 2.1 seconds to throw the ball that was last in the SEC and was above 100 in the country. JG knew everytime a pass play was called he was going to get hit and usually by multiple players (sometimes his own Oline). I don’t remeber the exact number but I know at one point last year he led the nation in being knocked down. Everyone out yourself in his shoes by the third or fourth game of the year he had been sacked or knocked down around 40 times. By that point confidence in his line and himself would had to be low. Eventually the pain of being hit overshadows the play on the field. Here is another fact for you guys Peyton Manning last two seasons here he had over 3.5 seconds to throw the ball actually 3.8 his senior season.

Since this is an opinionated board I will throw one of mine in. Tua at Bama would not have lasted five games here last year. He had over 3 seconds to throw last year and came out almost every game with an injury. He was hit and sacked less than half of JG was and still had issues with injuries.

So now you guys can bash my JG facts.
That average is skewed by all the times he had less than .6 seconds(Get away from that clock.) to get rid of the ball.

What blew my mind is the number of times he trusted his blocking just to get blown up.

The catch and throws against Auburn that worked so well should have been used more often once there was a sign (Our 1st play from scrimmage.) that protection could be a major issue.

Our 1st possession against the gumps on 3rd and long an obvious passing down he drop back just to get blasted, sack fumble, setting them up for another score.

By then everybody that watched Vol football knew that was asking for it.

VN Store

Sponsors