Tim Banks

Against any team we play we need to pressure the qb, I hate when we drop back in coverage, on 3 and long, with no pressure on the qb and still not covering the receivers. I would take my chances on pressuring the qb. I don't know how many 3rd and longs Fla converted, but it was a bunch. We do better on third and short than 3rd and long.
Completely agree. D actually played pretty well on third down in the first half. But still gave up the 4th down. In the second half, we just let them convert on 3rd. :(

I think the gameplan was sound in theory. Make him pass to beat us. They sold out on the run and contained him in the pocket. Played the DBs on zone but way off the receivers. Unfortunately he made the throws. Maybe should’ve adjusted more at the half. I expect more of the Pitt gameplan against LSU but being aware that Daniels can run

Reactions: WilcoVolsFan
No one claims UTs roster is ideal. But teams with less talent and who aren’t paying their DCs over a mil are getting better or similar performance against common opponents. How can that prompt you guys to just blame the players?

Out of curiosity, who is less talented with our strength of schedule is better. I understand your logic of less talent can still perform with good coaching. But if it’s a case of those less talented players don’t fit the scheme you are running then that makes it even harder. And please don’t say “then change the scheme” because very very rarely does that happen especially at this level. They recruit to their scheme rather than changing their scheme to their players for a couple reasons.
1. That’s what they know and learned over the years and feel comfortable calling etc
2. They are trying to build a culture.
3. You can’t go into a recruits house and say “im not sure what kind of scheme or defense you’ll be in when you get here but we will figure it out”

Unless it’s a can’t miss kinda stud that can play in any scheme then you are typically recruiting guys that fit what you do the best. Banks hasn’t been here long enough to know if we will get players that fit his scheme hence a better overall defense. We should be able to tell soon with guys like Joseph, Jourdan Thomas, James Pearce, Christian Harris , Elijah Herring etc.

He isn't the problem. We just have some weak links on the D. Our secondary just plain isn't good. There are no pass break ups. Either the other teams QB misses the throw or its a catch. When was the last time you saw a highlight reel hit from our D? We tackle weak. We hug and ride to the ground. We are missing that game changer guy on defense to complement Hooker and the gang. You know, the guy the offense has to run plays away from. That isn't coaching, that's individual stand out talent. We just don't have that.

Banks was extremely passive in his playcalling against Florida. Almost caught up to us.

It seems there aren't enough football intelligent guys out there sometimes.

Banks needs a lot of talent to mask some of his deficiencies. It should show up next season. The talent....

The following is a personal opinion and has no factual information to support it (don't get your panties in a wad).

I predict Banks won't be here for year 3. Whether that is solely his choice or mutual doesn't matter. He just seems like a guy that isn't fully vested in the program and just trying to climb the ladder (no fault in that). If the D improves a lot this season, he'll get a look as HC somewhere. If the D stays the same or regresses, he'll move on laterally or downward.

The following is a personal opinion and has no factual information to support it (don't get your panties in a wad).

I predict Banks won't be here for year 3. Whether that is solely his choice or mutual doesn't matter. He just seems like a guy that isn't fully vested in the program and just trying to climb the ladder (no fault in that). If the D improves a lot this season, he'll get a look as HC somewhere. If the D stays the same or regresses, he'll move on laterally or downward.
I think he’s a long way from HC.

Sorry some of us are looking ahead and not satisfied with terrible defenses.

No one disagrees the dedense was terrible.

However, if you cant understand that just like on offense your playcalling is limited to what your personnel is capable of, then youre gonna keep looking in the wrong direction to place blame.

The recruiting process will make Banks look much better if we can be patient.

Or we can go buy some paint and decorate the rock to say FAHR Banks. That seems to be the only thing that will make some of you happy.

Ok saying this one time...... We had starters out and Banks ran a ZONE coverage. Not a great chance to succeed. Banks is one of the best DC's we've had in a while... rem the Pitt game? Defense won the game. BVS. The sky is always falling.

do I wish our D played better...yes
do I think another coach would create a different outcome with the roster we have... not really

while our pass D sucks, our run D and pressure on the QB has greatly improved this year IMO

Florida's defense is worse than ours. As long as our offense is playing and scoring each drive, being ok on D might be good enough (although it should get better in the next year or two)

Reactions: LadyVolette
No doubt we need to recruit better players, but when you've played 4 games and 2 of the teams you played are Ball St and Akron and your pass defense is ranked 128th, there is some coaching issues. I don't know if it's position coach or what, but it can't all be blamed on players.

Out of curiosity, who is less talented with our strength of schedule is better.
All of UF's opponents. If you want to argue UK or Utah then just consider what USF did. On paper the first two have less talent. USF DOES have less talent and it isn't questionable.

I understand your logic of less talent can still perform with good coaching. But if it’s a case of those less talented players don’t fit the scheme you are running then that makes it even harder. And please don’t say “then change the scheme” because very very rarely does that happen especially at this level. They recruit to their scheme rather than changing their scheme to their players for a couple reasons.
You're assuming there's some dramatic difference.. And yeah, even though you don't want to hear it, sometimes you have to coach to the talent you have. The O has definitely done it.

1. That’s what they know and learned over the years and feel comfortable calling etc
If Banks is that limited then he definitely doesn't need to be part of the staff. Not trying to be a smarty or mean... but if that's the case then he's just not good enough.
2. They are trying to build a culture.
How exactly does that relate to not being schematically flexible on D?
3. You can’t go into a recruits house and say “im not sure what kind of scheme or defense you’ll be in when you get here but we will figure it out”
Better to say "This is what the future looks like even though we're limited in these ways right now"... than to try to explain why everyone is running over you.

Unless it’s a can’t miss kinda stud that can play in any scheme then you are typically recruiting guys that fit what you do the best. Banks hasn’t been here long enough to know if we will get players that fit his scheme hence a better overall defense. We should be able to tell soon with guys like Joseph, Jourdan Thomas, James Pearce, Christian Harris , Elijah Herring etc.
I think you are way overemphasizing how little crossover there is between schemes. Pruitt ran a 4-2=5 base, right? Banks is running... a 4-2-5 base, right? Both run/ran zone. Both wanted to man up on occasion.

What are those dramatic scheme differences between Pruitt's system and Banks' that you think takes "good" players and makes them look like they don't know what they're doing?

do I wish our D played better...yes
do I think another coach would create a different outcome with the roster we have... not really

while our pass D sucks, our run D and pressure on the QB has greatly improved this year IMO

Florida's defense is worse than ours. As long as our offense is playing and scoring each drive, being ok on D might be good enough (although it should get better in the next year or two)
I think keeping stability in the program is the most important thing.. and sometimes the Defense looks pretty bada$$ compared to what we’ve seen in recent years, so I really don’t understand why everyone is complaining.. can they improve on things? Sure, Can they do that with the current staff? Also pretty sure, yes.. Edit: Do we all also have cardiac arrest from these games? Yes.. but maybe throwing the baby out with bath water is maybe not the way to go..

Last edited:
…..is terrible. But thank goodness for the win! Go Vols!

The call of the year was by Tim Banks, and IMO, it was rushing 6 on last play of FL game. Any prior D coach would have rushed 3-4 and the Hail Mary would have soared right over their heads into the end zone.
I think Coach Banks is doing a good, solid job. Like the different looks and stunts he is using. Might not have enough talent to stop LSU, GA and Bama, but believe he will give it his all.

All of UF's opponents. If you want to argue UK or Utah then just consider what USF did. On paper the first two have less talent. USF DOES have less talent and it isn't questionable.

You're assuming there's some dramatic difference.. And yeah, even though you don't want to hear it, sometimes you have to coach to the talent you have. The O has definitely done it.

If Banks is that limited then he definitely doesn't need to be part of the staff. Not trying to be a smarty or mean... but if that's the case then he's just not good enough.
How exactly does that relate to not being schematically flexible on D?
Better to say "This is what the future looks like even though we're limited in these ways right now"... than to try to explain why everyone is running over you.

I think you are way overemphasizing how little crossover there is between schemes. Pruitt ran a 4-2=5 base, right? Banks is running... a 4-2-5 base, right? Both run/ran zone. Both wanted to man up on occasion.

What are those dramatic scheme differences between Pruitt's system and Banks' that you think takes "good" players and makes them look like they don't know what they're doing?

I don’t think I can cover all of these questions honestly, I was just giving my opinion. However, minus Kentucky those others do not play the same caliber of opponents throughout the year. You could also argue that we aren’t more talented than Kentucky on defense.

The offense might have called some plays that benefit some offensive players, but the scheme has definitely not changed. Im not really sure that doing stuff like that on offense is really relatable to defense. Im def not saying there isn’t similarities between pruitt’s scheme and Banks, but it wasn’t good when he was here either, with a lot of the same players, that was kinda my point when I said it’s not fair to him that he doesn’t have " his guys” yet.

That’s really my only point is I think it’s just a little premature to call for banks head. Quite frankly we have had some good defensive games. Especially trying to coach defense with how our offense operates. We will def know soon enough if he is cut out for the job though.

The call of the year was by Tim Banks, and IMO, it was rushing 6 on last play of FL game. Any prior D coach would have rushed 3-4 and the Hail Mary would have soared right over their heads into the end zone.
I think Coach Banks is doing a good, solid job. Like the different looks and stunts he is using. Might not have enough talent to stop LSU, GA and Bama, but believe he will give it his all.
What I do like about Banks is you can tell he is coaching these guys to not give up.. how many games did we watch at the end of the Butch Era and the Pruitt era, where they hit a bump or were behind and the Defense looked like they were just mailing it in? (Or at least that is what it sometimes looked like)..These guys look like they are playing their hearts out, though it is sometimes traumatic to watch lol

I don’t think I can cover all of these questions honestly, I was just giving my opinion. However, minus Kentucky those others do not play the same caliber of opponents throughout the year. You could also argue that we aren’t more talented than Kentucky on defense.

The offense might have called some plays that benefit some offensive players, but the scheme has definitely not changed. Im not really sure that doing stuff like that on offense is really relatable to defense. Im def not saying there isn’t similarities between pruitt’s scheme and Banks, but it wasn’t good when he was here either, with a lot of the same players, that was kinda my point when I said it’s not fair to him that he doesn’t have " his guys” yet.

That’s really my only point is I think it’s just a little premature to call for banks head. Quite frankly we have had some good defensive games. Especially trying to coach defense with how our offense operates. We will def know soon enough if he is cut out for the job though.
My point was that Pruitt essentially recruited to that same system. Jones before him ran a 40 base D.

I'm not throwing Banks under the bus yet. I'm just saying that performances like that call him into question.

They get another chance to play a mobile QB known for living on the short stuff in a couple of weeks. We will see if they improve. LSU's WR's are a few notches better than UF's.

(sigh)...Here's the deal. Against quality opponents, UT has a 42 point offense, and a 35 point defense. Simple as that.

Offense fails to hit the mark, we're in trouble. Defense fails to hold the line, we're in trouble. Both do their job, we win.

So, until and unless the defense gets tougher, UT is just going to have to outscore quality opponents to win.

This won't stop another hundred threads about "what ails UT", but there it is in 14 words. It is what it is.

Go Vols.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Fire his ass

Same coaching talent evaluator that didn't want Heupel. :rolleyes:

Not sure what it is.. Josh Heupel does nothing for me. Honestly. It’s like I don’t care.... but I do

Anyone else been feeling like this? I get the runway for CJH hate is a long one but I’m not even talking about that and being unhappy with the hire. Something just doesn’t feel right to me. I feel like we are being played

I think Banks is actually doing a great job considering our lack of depth and talent on the defensive side. If we get a few more playmakers on defense, we are going to be a hard team to beat.
But, but, but we’ve got a number of couch coaches on here who think we just have loads of talent all over the defense and especially at DB. Not sure what team they are looking at but it dang sure ain’t this Vol defense.

VN Store

Back