Tim Banks Officially Announced As DC

OR, maybe it's enough for him. Don't like it, mock it, get mad or whatever but we're all different and have different priorities. Been entertaining reading this thread and seeing how it seems to upset people because faith is more important to some than others.
I think faith is the most important thing. But my godly grandmother who probably never watched football game (died in the 70's) would be a poor choice for UT's DL coach.

I thought what I was saying would be fairly obvious especially in light of the fact that God gives each of us different gifts and talents.

Why so many people triggered by the faith comment?

We could have had Billy Graham (or the Pope for our heathen brethren) coach special teams and it certainly would not have been "good enough" for anyone. I think the last part of the comment is what everyone is focusing on, as the implication was that the only criteria that need be met is whether he is a "man of faith".

How does running a 4 - 2 defense mesh with our current roster of players. Will the coaches be able to use the outside LBers as DEs. Will some have to add weight? Will it help the numbers by only needing 6 at a time vs 7 in the old scheme? Will he use bigger strong safeties in the backend

Reactions: HalfullVol
How does running a 4 - 2 defense mesh with our current roster of players. Will the coaches be able to use the outside LBers as DEs. Will some have to add weight? Will it help the numbers by only needing 6 at a time vs 7 in the old scheme? Will he use bigger strong safeties in the backend
Kind of depends on the player and their commitment. Baron could probably look a lot like Barnett. Depends on what he believes is best for his future. Guys like Roman Harrison are unlikely to translate well to DE.

Personnel may dictate more 3-3-5 until they can recruit true edge rushing DE's.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I think faith is the most important thing. But my godly grandmother who probably never watched football game (died in the 70's) would be a poor choice for UT's DL coach.

I thought what I was saying would be fairly obvious especially in light of the fact that God gives each of us different gifts and talents.
He said "he's a man of faith and that's good enough for me" in a thread discussing his qualifications. He's talking about a coach that has coached for many years that was hired to coach. He wasn't talking about your grandmother, God rest her soul. Instead of understanding the context everyone wants to jump on him because he appreciates the guys faith. Silly.

You said "I'm a man of faith... and I wouldn't want to work for a company if that were enough for them." And my point was maybe he would want to work for that company if that we're enough for them. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean no one else would.

You're arguing just to argue.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
we dont need another coach like him to blow smoke up our butt ..with the prosperity .. we need the truth ... we gotta get players that want to be here and can be coached up .. gotta get the best close to us and work to get others on board ... no we dont need the properity speech ...

When did he give the speech? The guy that started this discussion simply said he was happy because our new DC is identified as a man of faith. Now, since then I have seen a dozen or so speeches challenging the posters intelligence OR declaring that faith can have zero value to the men in the coaching profession. Typically a man has to be driven to make it in the coaching profession, some appear to be driven by greed, some by needing ego boosts, some by needing to fulfill promises they have made themselves or loved ones, and maybe we have a guy that is driven to succeed while living within the will of his God. I imagine many by a mix of these and other motivations. All can be real and applicable. Whatever the mix we like to simplify it and call it competitive desire, but make no mistake it is comprised of various motivations.

He said "he's a man of faith and that's good enough for me" in a thread discussing his qualifications. He's talking about a coach that has coached for many years that was hired to coach. He wasn't talking about your grandmother, God rest her soul. Instead of understanding the context everyone wants to jump on him because he appreciates the guys faith. Silly.

You said "I'm a man of faith... and I wouldn't want to work for a company if that were enough for them." And my point was maybe he would want to work for that company if that we're enough for them. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean no one else would.

You're arguing just to argue.
Wow Behr... call the kettle black much? The context was nowhere near as clear as you claim.

So 4/5 years to get all the players and system in place. Rinse , repeat.
Sorry to have this attitude and I'm sure JH can do some good things but it's just been so darn long I'm not drinking the koolaid again.
Show me some quality wins, upset some teams and I'm all in. But for the foreseeable I'm not planning my Saturdays around the UT football team.
With that said, I'm no fair weather and have weathered many a storm in Knoxville. Been a Vol fan since John Ward started calling the games on my AM radio. It's been a while.

I'm sympatico with this post. I'm also sympatico with the position many here put forward that I previously disagreed with and that is by end of year season three you know what you have. No need for a fourth year, the fellow and his staff are working out or they're not. I used to be a firm believer in a coach should get 4 years to recruit his players in and then decide. No longer, 3 years and we decide to hold hands and move on down the line with the birds of paradise. Or give 'em a coin for the boatman and kick 'em in the donk for a ride on the river Styx.

I'm sympatico with this post. I'm also sympatico with the position many here put forward that I previously disagreed with and that is by end of year season three you know what you have. No need for a fourth year, the fellow and his staff are working out or they're not. I used to be a firm believer in a coach should get 4 years to recruit his players in and then decide. No longer, 3 years and we decide to hold hands and move on down the line with the birds of paradise. Or give 'em a coin for the boatman and kick 'em in the donk for a ride on the river Styx.
Love this post... a new convert to reality.

Why are you people junking up the Banks thread with this off topic stuff? We gonna Take it to the Bank and y’all are getting knotted up about spiritual matters and CJH’s long term prospects. Focus people.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

While this seems to be a popular opinion I have to disagree. The you know what you have in 3 years mantra is not a universal thing. Why? Because not all situations are the same. If all situations that new coaches walked into were the same, then the 3 year rule would apply.

I can't wait to see how this defense betters Heupel's offense, and vice versa.

2021 is going to be a good year for Tennessee football!

giphy.gif
Geez those guys are tall.

winner!

VN Store

Back