Thoughts on Olivier Nkamhoua?

Well if he used to play guard in high school, he’s probably still learning the position. That also means defending differently too.
Is Barnes treating him as a project player?

Well if he used to play guard in high school, he’s probably still learning the position. That also means defending differently too.
Is Barnes treating him as a project player?

Yes, I think Na-Yuck Yuck Yucker- Hammer is a project player. This year, Rick will squeeze a few minutes out of him

Next year, he could be a contender

And getting benched entire 2nd halves. I think Barnes is doing this kid a disservice. Bowden can go through the worst shooting slump of his career and nothing, but ON makes a mistake and it’s instant bench. Be consistent.

ORN makes multiple turnovers a game and is not a guard.

I sure the hell did. I'm not a KY fan I can promise that. I'm probably one the the largest UT donors on this forum. I just call it as I see it. Sorry if that hurts your feelings Frances.

No. No you're not. Love the I'm a big donor fan. I'm calling it like I see it and you're full of ****

Reactions: iVolSoHard
I'm not sure he will be this year. Needs more experience, I'd say. Thing that kinda frustrates me when I watch him is he doesn't have that good of awareness. Happened a couple of times today where someone feeds him the ball inside but he's unaware of it and results in a turnover. Feel like that's been the case most of the season so far. Someone throws a tricky pass to him and he is looking somewhere else. Maybe he just needs to learn how his teammates play, but I dunno...needs to work on that. Gotta keep your eyes open and be ready for the ball at any time.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
I sure the hell did. I'm not a KY fan I can promise that. I'm probably one the the largest UT donors on this forum. I just call it as I see it. Sorry if that hurts your feelings Frances.

I am not so sure about that...but being a huge donor doesn't necessarily mean you are a brainiac either. It's donors that got us into the messes in football, basketball and other athletics because of the entitlements they thought were due to them because of donations.

I have known several that called for coaching changes and other changes to the system because ADs were weak and money-driven.

Call it like you see it, it's fine, but Put your money talk back in your pocket because it accomplishes nothing on this site.

Yall were hyping him as the next Grant Williams before SEC play. Lol He is a freshman and will have ups and downs

Reactions: pimo1
It is most likely Barnes' love for the project players that will keep him from winning a Naty before he hangs it up.

I think next year is when we'll see a little difference. Just expecting a little too much out of him this year. He needs to get stronger and become more aggressive.

It is most likely Barnes' love for the project players that will keep him from winning a Naty before he hangs it up.
Can't argue with this. Using 2 or 3 scholarships on this type of player is ok and can pay dividends but when two thirds of your roster falls in this category you end up short on talent.

This is a big question that has been on my mind...is it a propensity for CRB or was it a necessity? When you look at the timing of when these kids were recruited it was after CRB's first 2 seasons which were less than compelling and on the heels of arguably the lowest point in the history of our b-ball program. On the other hand, he definitely has an eye for undervalued talent, and had clearly beaten the odds with this strategy before this season, so maybe this has warped his thinking and created too much self-confidence which prevents him from accurately assessing the risk/rewards of this strategy.

I am optimistic that he will be selective going forward on the degree to which he goes after project-type players and our latest recruiting class seems to reinforce that notion.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

This is a big question that has been on my mind...is it a propensity for CRB or was it a necessity? When you look at the timing of when these kids were recruited it was after CRB's first 2 seasons which were less than compelling and on the heels of arguably the lowest point in the history of our b-ball program. On the other hand, he definitely has an eye for undervalued talent, and had clearly beaten the odds with this strategy before this season, so maybe this has warped his thinking and created too much self-confidence which prevents him from accurately assessing the risk/rewards of this strategy.

I am optimistic that he will be selective going forward on the degree to which he goes after project-type players and our latest recruiting class seems to reinforce that notion.
That is an interesting theory and one that likely has some degree of merit.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

I guess it comes down to what you classify as a "project" player.

Every player in this 2019 class was around top 200 nationally according to 24/7. Gaines at a composite of .8875 being the lowest rated guy.

I'd like to see Barnes pulling in more top 100 players and he's done that with the 2020 class, but will that be the new norm?

I guess it comes down to what you classify as a "project" player.

Every player in this 2019 class was around top 200 nationally according to 24/7. Gaines at a composite of .8875 being the lowest rated guy.

I'd like to see Barnes pulling in more top 100 players and he's done that with the 2020 class, but will that be the new norm?
I think the key was getting the top-100 guys interested enough to buy in to the vision Barnes had. It wasn't like he was solely targeting sub-200 level kids from day 1. That is what he quickly realized he was going to have to start with and find a way to win with, but his staff was always after top-shelf talent. It just took the on-court success of the past two seasons to convince those types to buy in enough to commit to being a part of it, and they clearly have a player profile that they want to succeed with. You won't see Barnes taking many risks with kids who struggle in the classroom, have poor character, or who won't work hard. The ones he has taken that chance on have quickly moved on. The talent shift started with James in 2019, and has continued with Springer, Johnson, Walker, and Vescovi in 2020. Barnes and Co. have their eyes set on top-shelf talent in the 2021 and 2022 class, as well (Chandler, Banchero, Ingram, etc.).

They have had their share of misses, but they have had plenty of hits on lower rated, underrecruited players, too. The current evidence would suggest we are fishing in better stocked ponds, now, than at any other time in Barnes Tennessee tenure.

I'm hoping we have James/Santiago for 3 or 4 seasons. I think we might have Walker/Johnson for more than a year too.

So that should give us good success next season and help get a solid 2021 class, and then we'll continue the momentum with success on court and in recruiting. I'm not sure if Gaines, Pember, or Olivier end up in the NBA or not. But I think all 3 can develop as players in their career here, and expect all 3 will be contributors towards the success of the program moving forward.

Reactions: The Dog
I'm hoping we have James/Santiago for 3 or 4 seasons. I think we might have Walker/Johnson for more than a year too.

So that should give us good success next season and help get a solid 2021 class, and then we'll continue the momentum with success on court and in recruiting. I'm not sure if Gaines, Pember, or Olivier end up in the NBA or not. But I think all 3 can develop as players in their career here, and expect all 3 will be contributors towards the success of the program moving forward.
🤔

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

I mean, as freshman I didn't think Bone, Admiral, Kyle, Richardson, McRae, or even Hopson would get shots in the NBA either....

Ya really don't know how well guys will develop, one thing those 3 guys all have going for them though is great size/length already.

I will go ahead and say that we better with Pember out there than either Gaines or Olivier

VN Store

Back