Thoughts on Olivier Nkamhoua?

I believe he needs more help under the glass. I think when Plasvic gets on the court this or next year Nkamhoua won't have as much pressure and hopefully will show us what Barnes sees

I think a lot of the guys would benefit from playing with a chip on their shoulder like Lamonte. I loved seeing his fire and fearless attitude on the court and you can tell the other guys looked up to him as the leader. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone like that to replace him this year.
Agree. In fact, I wanna see somebody foul out tomorrow night. Don’t care who it is, just get your moneys worth all 5 times

First off, yes, I had to copy and paste his name.

We talk a lot about Bowden, James and recently Vescovi, but what about this guy? Barnes repeatedly mentions him in his postgame press conferences as a guy that we really need to step up.

Can he be a guy that gives us more this year?
He’s regressing faster than one of Butch’s olinemen.

He averages 5 reb per game in 15 min action per game. Pretty good - he'd have double digit rebs if he played a full game.
He had 0 rebs in 11 minutes two days ago vs LSU. His stats vs the better teams on our schedule are pretty sad, actually. He has feasted on poor competition to this point.

Seems to have potential, but he's gotta play with more toughness and less hesitation. He'll continue to get plenty of opportunities due to a lack of depth, so hopefully he'll begin to take some steps forward as the season progresses.

Far less skilled than Grant was coming out of high school. Plays decent post defense but is being forced to play due to lack of depth. Really could have used a redshirt but we don’t have that luxury. Has no idea what to do offensively on the post except some basic post moves. Seems to go too fast and loses balance offensively. Average rebounder with decent size and athleticism who will get a lot stronger, but he isn’t a leaper or a quick jumper so learning how to use his body for positioning will be important. LSU’s frontcourt athletes were far superior to him...it was obvious. Overall I like him in general. Has miles to go but can be a decent college player with a lot of work and development. Another guy who would be better playing at the high post if he can develop a mid-range game. At this point he is hesitant which is to be expected. It is possible he may improve next year but get fewer minutes with Plavsic, Walker (who I expect to play a lot of 4), Fulkerson playing more 4 potentially, obviously Pons, if Pember develops quicker and if we get another big like Caldwell.

It may be whomever develops quicker, (him or Pember), will get more run next and what the situation requires. They are clearly different players with different potential. Clearly Pember’s lack of strength is the reason Nkamhoua gets the minutes now. With the wing players we have coming next year I can’t imagine Pember playing wing...he is more of a stretch 4 to give incoming players like Stringer space to create. If Nkamhoua simply becomes a solid trash man, who is willing to do dirty work, play defense, board, set screens to free others up (ie: Stringer, Vescovi, K. Johnson)..he has a role.

He was a guard most of his career and I think he is really struggling with the adjustment to playing in the paint, against SEC defenders. The physicality. The athleticism. And I think that has eroded his confidence. I see some of the appeal about his potential but, just my opinion, I think it might be a little inflated. Not every player that had solid skill as a guard and then shoots up 4-5 inches will instantly become a stud post player.

We talk a lot about Bowden, James and recently Vescovi, but what about this guy? Barnes repeatedly mentions him in his postgame press conferences as a guy that we really need to step up.

I thought his name was Noc-a-homa . I assumed he was old Atlanta Braves' mascot Chief Noc-a-homa's oldest boy.

Reactions: ttocswob
He's as pitiful as the rest of the new class. Don't know why Barnes even recruited these guys. They wouldn't see playing time in the the MAC.

All you do is troll. All one has to do is read your post. If you are going to troll, you need to throw something positive in every now and then. It’s either that or you are a narcissistic noob.

He has turned out to be more of a long term prospect than short term prospect which is ok. His lack of agression is concerning. Sometimes a players personality holds them back and prevents them from succeeding. Reference Jalen Johnson.

I think he could be a lot better if he had the mentality to succeed. He seems to be quite timid to me not aggressive puts up some weak shots. Most of the ones he has made he was unguarded. If he is gonna succeed in the SEC must get a lot meaner and play the power game.

All you do is troll. All one has to do is read your post. If you are going to troll, you need to throw something positive in every now and then. It’s either that or you are a narcissistic noob.

Please tell me what he or Pember, or Gaines have brought to this team? Face the facts, this team is horrible and there is no excuse for falling this far after the year we had last year. Barnes put all his time into Blackshear and it backfired. Call me what you like but this team is really, really bad. #staywoke

I believe he needs more help under the glass. I think when Plasvic gets on the court this or next year Nkamhoua won't have as much pressure and hopefully will show us what Barnes sees

Explain this statement please

He was a guard most of his career and I think he is really struggling with the adjustment to playing in the paint, against SEC defenders. The physicality. The athleticism. And I think that has eroded his confidence. I see some of the appeal about his potential but, just my opinion, I think it might be a little inflated. Not every player that had solid skill as a guard and then shoots up 4-5 inches will instantly become a stud post player.
Agree with all of this. All one has to do is look at how he has fared against the two most athletically gifted and lengthy teams we have played (Washington and LSU). He had a combined 7pts, 0 rebs, 1 asst, 0 stls, 0 blks, 4 TOs and 6 fouls in 28 minutes.

I like him a lot. He's probably the closest "next Grant" on the roster, which is a lotta pressure.

He's around the same size, has quite a few back to the basket moves already, good kid. He's also from Finland which is something that gets forgotten, I think there's still some adjusting to the game going on. I'd like to see him to get more explosive at the rim. That's something Grant really did well, getting up fast & high to challenge shots or finish.

He's really more of a 4, but with Plavsic out he's been playing more 5. I don't know if he's "big enough" to bang inside just yet so I think that's part of his dip in production. I like the potential, he's a 3-4 year guy that has great upside.

Some of these evaluations are a bit reminiscent of the early fan critiques Jordan Bone received a few years ago. Until Bone matured and learned to deal with Barnes' personality and style of criticism, there were a lot of folks who thought Jordan was just very athletic but someone without much of an upside as a basketball player and, overall, a Barnes miss. Bone turned out "okay."

I think we need to give this kid some time to mature. This is a year to reload. In his case, it's a year to become accustomed to the big time, something he has had no prior experience with until he got to Knoxville. Comparing him to Williams is unfair; however, he exhibits several of the characteristics Grant had that allowed him to flourish. We'll see.

Please tell me what he or Pember, or Gaines have brought to this team? Face the facts, this team is horrible and there is no excuse for falling this far after the year we had last year. Barnes put all his time into Blackshear and it backfired. Call me what you like but this team is really, really bad. #staywoke

Fulmer sucks. Pruitt sucks. Barnes sucks. Blah Blah Blah.

Bob Kesling just resigned with this name! 😂🤣🤣

I like him a lot. He's probably the closest "next Grant" on the roster, which is a lotta pressure.

He's around the same size, has quite a few back to the basket moves already, good kid. He's also from Finland which is something that gets forgotten, I think there's still some adjusting to the game going on. I'd like to see him to get more explosive at the rim. That's something Grant really did well, getting up fast & high to challenge shots or finish.

He's really more of a 4, but with Plavsic out he's been playing more 5. I don't know if he's "big enough" to bang inside just yet so I think that's part of his dip in production. I like the potential, he's a 3-4 year guy that has great upside.
The comparisons between him and Grant need to stop. There is literally zero similarities in style of play or level of play. Grant left as a Vols legend and those type players don't come around very often. Now, that's not to say that ON can't develope into a good player at some point but he will never be a Grant Williams.

Reactions: walkenvol
From the limited action I've seen I really like his length. But he seems to have problems figuring out practically what his role is. As many freshman experience, he really struggles finishing down low which certainly I think will be his game. CRB and staff developed Grant to be what he is so I THINK in time he'll figure it out. Not that he's another GW. They have different games. Unless a hidden switch flips soon I don't see much help from him this year. I like his attitude etc but working it out down low and being more physical will be a must IMO.

Also, I'm not sure that everyone knows ON's strengths as he describes them. On a post game show, he mentioned to Bert and Bob, that his skill set was all very good as far as his perimeter game was concerned. Apparently he has a good mid-range game with good skills. But, Barnes has asked him this year to learn new post skills which were all very new to him. So, not only is he going up against bigger, stronger guys, but he's also learning a totally new skill set for him.

He showed promise at the beginning of the season, but seems to have slightly regressed. Maybe it's conditioning related, but I thought he seemed to be in much better shape to start than Admiral or Grant were.

I still see a lot of potential for him, just seems to make a lot of "freshman mistakes".
It's easy to show promise against Slippery Rock State.

VN Store

Back