Thoughts on Olivier Nkamhoua?

Can't we just agree that the list, while not exhaustive, is perhaps quite a bit more lengthy than Bruin predicted it might be, and just shut up about it and let it be?
NWV9.gif

Reactions: Vol49er
Good short list over the years. I like how you added those Kenny hall
Type success stories to make the list look longer. Well done

You think that’s 1/10 maybe 1/20 if you listed the players that didn’t become “success stories”?

You like those odds or do you think Barnes is recruiting now at such a level that can 10% Longshot success rate is not worth waiting on ??

I think it warrants not running a guy off after 2 years if 1. You feel he still has potential to develop into a contributor and/or 2. You don’t have a replacement you feel is any better. And that’s all my point ever was.

Going back just in Tennessee history...

2005-2006: 22-8(12-4), I’m glad we had Stanley Asumnu on the roster even though he didn’t meet your criteria.

2006-2007: 24-11(10-6), I’m glad we had Jordan Howell & Ryan Childress on the roster even though they didn’t meet your criteria.

2007-2008: 31-5(14-2), I’m glad we had Jordan Howell & Ryan Childress on the roster even though they didn’t meet your criteria.

2008-2009: 21-13(10-6), I’m glad we had Josh Tabb on the roster even though he didn’t meet your criteria.

2009-2010: 28-9(11-5), I’m glad we had Brian Williams on the roster even though he didn’t meet your criteria.

My point simply being, not every player is going to be a superstar, and in CBB the 13 scholarships is a lot...if you run guys off every year that aren’t big time contributors after 2 years your attrition is off the charts and your team chemistry likely suffers. I’m not saying every player sticks it out, but if you believe a guy has untapped potential and you also don’t have a better replacement lined up, there is no issue in seeing what that player can do. It’s hard to find guys willing to fill those 10-13 spots on the roster, especially if they are in that same spot for a couple of years, I have no issue with keeping around a Fulky, Johnson, Gaines, Pember, ORN if the staff feels there is potential there.

Good short list over the years. I like how you added those Kenny hall
Type success stories to make the list look longer. Well done

You think that’s 1/10 maybe 1/20 if you listed the players that didn’t become “success stories”?

You like those odds or do you think Barnes is recruiting now at such a level that can 10% Longshot success rate is not worth waiting on ??
Whoops. Looks like you misspelled "I stand corrected."

Reactions: walkenvol
I think it warrants not running a guy off after 2 years if 1. You feel he still has potential to develop into a contributor and/or 2. You don’t have a replacement you feel is any better. And that’s all my point ever was.

If Barnes has one “Fault”
Its being loyal to his guys. I respect him for it a lot but it cost us wins this past year. The writing was clearly on the wall with Kent and he didn’t cut ties with him so we have precedent on that.

And from the list we are recruiting I think keeping any player that’s ceiling is Kenny hall or Ryan Childress for that matter as a senior isn’t wise.

Your list is nonexistent so far

Another poster gave us one good name from Gonzaga but he even played more than 10min.

Kenny hall is the best name you have given us and with the way Barnes is recruiting 6/4 for a senior isnt worth waiting for. Just cut that guy loose and get a better talent

To be fair, when I suggested Kelly Olynyk the only stipulation was:
“I can’t think of a single player that redshirted due to “lack of skill” after playing a year and that player come back and contributed for any team any where.”

The terms have changed quite drastically in a few pages.

Reactions: Vol49er
To be fair, when I suggested Kelly Olynyk the only stipulation was:
“I can’t think of a single player that redshirted due to “lack of skill” after playing a year and that player come back and contributed for any team any where.”

The terms have changed quite drastically in a few pages.
that’s a great find.
I would guess there are a few more
Success stories of those guys that RSed out there but that list would be very small.

So do you suggest ORN leave at this point instead of redshirt? Because I dont see him having many minutes if pons comes back

No I want to see him make the rotation and play 12-15min a game this season and continue that natural upward progression

Its being loyal to his guys. I respect him for it a lot but it cost us wins this past year. The writing was clearly on the wall with Kent and he didn’t cut ties with him so we have precedent on that.

And from the list we are recruiting I think keeping any player that’s ceiling is Kenny hall or Ryan Childress for that matter as a senior isn’t wise.

Who did having Kent cost us?

I also think it’s worth asking is the fault greater than the positive from that? Meaning, has he been rewarded more by say Fulk, Pons or team chemistry in general for being so loyal, enough to outweigh what the opposite would’ve been had he not have been so loyal?

I also think it’s worth asking is the fault greater than the positive from that? Meaning, has he been rewarded more by say Fulk, Pons or team chemistry in general for being so loyal, enough to outweigh what the opposite would’ve been had he not have been so loyal?

I can agree with you on that. Being loyal certainly has that family type feel and is worth a lot

I did say I respect the hell out of the “fault”

Did Kent really lose us any games? I don’t remember him playing much at all.

At 6'9" and probably a wingspan wider than that, I'll bet that he can. And based on how he attacked the rim when he came in versus Memphis, he's not soft like his baby face would suggest.
You know I’m not sold on Pember ever being a useful, productive player here... but that dunk attempt was awesome, really woke the crowd up

We aren’t going thru this again.

It’s clear if Kent was gone we could have signed another big or even another PG.
1. Who’s to say they’d have been a factor?
2. We pursued both Jalen Cone & Kerry Blackshear (seems there was another name too), not sure how Kent is at fault for us missing on those guys?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back