this team is just hard

Another of your tired, relentlessly repeated arguments. Totally ignoring the hole that TN was in at the onset, that there wasn’t even an NCAAT in one of the 6, and that COVID has changed the landscape. TN was very close to a couple of EEs or better in the 3 tournaments they’ve been in.
What? Very close to 3 EE or better?? Besides 2019 please tell me which other years you are talking about ( that Barnes has coached). All teams have faced the same challenges with COVID

I noticed after two of those missed opportunities last night he went to the player making the pass and made gestures as to where the pass should have been thrown. I was next to my son and we agreed it’s a liability to try to throw anything in there that’s not completely uncontested.
Yep, I noticed it, too. And Santi also noted postgame on the transition 3 he hit with 2:45 remaining in OT, that he considered throwing a lob and then decided against it. The lob would have been going to Nkamhoua. Instead, Santi shot an open 3 with the game tied at 56 and gave Tennessee a 3-pt lead.

No meat! Not sure why the strenght coach couldn't put a few more pounds on him. He got pushed around like a rag doll against Ole Miss!
Fulky weighs the same as he did when he arrived on campus in 2006

He got a 3-year show-cause penalty WITH us firing him. How much worse do you suppose it would have been if we had double-birdied the NCAA and said screw you?

And even if it wasn't worse, which it would have been, you still think we could absorb the recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions to have survived it? Highly doubtful. As it turns out, Bruce and Tennessee were both better off with the split. We didn't get jackhammered by the NCAA, and he got a new lease on life after serving his time. It sucks that we had to lose him, but I'm not certain that 10 years later, he'd have kept his hand out of the cookie jar and not gotten busted for something else if he didn't see the teeth of the NCAA. He had to be taught a lesson.
We were horrible for about 6 seasons I think it would have been worth it in the long run

We were horrible for about 6 seasons I think it would have been worth it in the long run
Well, we sucked for much of that time because of the mess Pearl left in his wake. And lest we forget that we made a S16 run, and were an unfortunate call against Jarnell Stokes away from an E8 in one of those years.

Well, we sucked for much of that time because of the mess Pearl left in his wake. And lest we forget that we made a S16 run, and were an unfortunate call against Jarnell Stokes away from an E8 in one of those years.
Yes that 16 run was great. But I expect that if we had 17 years of Pearl we would have more in our trophy case than we do now. I’m not knocking Rick I think he’s solid but I really miss Pearl and our style back then

Reactions: 1985Vols
Personally, I'm thrilled with the win. Shoot that poorly, while a poor shooting opponent makes 50% of their 3s. Scrap, get on the floor, and put in a few clutch shots and take the win. Just hit three more of those wide open jumpers and we're not having this discussion at all.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the win. Shoot that poorly, while a poor shooting opponent makes 50% of their 3s. Scrap, get on the floor, and put in a few clutch shots and take the win. Just hit three more of those wide open jumpers and we're not having this discussion at all.

That was a long week to wait for the next one after letting Bama slip away. I bet they are fired up for LSU. I’d predict a TN win, but don’t want to jinx them.

Yes that 16 run was great. But I expect that if we had 17 years of Pearl we would have more in our trophy case than we do now. I’m not knocking Rick I think he’s solid but I really miss Pearl and our style back then
No doubt that losing Pearl sucked. Impossible to know how holding onto him would have affected our program, but it isn't tough to rationalize that the NCAA would have crippled us to the point that he wasn't likely to significantly outproduce the paltry run we had from Cuonzo to Tyndall to early Barnes. In his potential recovery, we may have had slightly more success than Barnes has seen, but again, impossible to know.

Cuonzo Martin’s salary when he was at UT was 10th in the SEC. I’m sure if I dig up your old posts, I’ll find zero complaints from you about him.

10th place is 4th loser in the competition for lowest head coach's salary.

I agree. The odd fact of the game is that Ole Miss also shot 50% from 3 in the first half, in the second half, and in overtime. Amazing consistency.

If football spoiled you, you should not have any problem with our basketball team.
The offense was fun to watch.
And Barnes would be a perennial 7-5 Music City bowl coach in football. Just enough to make post season, then nothing more than 1 or 2 and out.

Last edited:
And Barnes would be a perennial 7-5 Music City bowl coach in football. Just enough to make post season, then nothing more than 1 or 2 and out.
Nah, because an equivalent basketball regular season record to 7-5 would be something like 18-13, and Barnes is historically going to have his teams probably 3-4 games better than that, most years. Puts him more like an 8-4 perennial coach, which gets them in the neighborhood of Citrus, Outback, Taxslayer bowl territory. Fans would get tired of that after 5 or 6 years (see the Fulmer years in the mid-90s), but they'd kill for it now. Kind of like fans would kill for 22-9 in basketball 7 years ago, but they get spoiled with that level of success over time and start demanding more. If the Fulmer glory years of football taught me anything, it taught me to never take success for granted. The alternative is much much worse.

Surely you jest? Just over average? It’s going to disappoint you when Barnes makes the college basketball Hall of Fame.

Surely you jest? Just over average? It’s going to disappoint you when Barnes makes the college basketball Hall of Fame.
Is this suddenly an insult for the Sunshine pumpers. in previous arguments this was a praiseworthy description of Barnes' recent history and performance.

Lmao what a horrid take…we are consistently ranked, Top 20 SEC teams aren’t playing in the Music City Bowl or 7-5, nice try.

At the end of the season, Kennedy will be a sophomore in terms of experience. And that will make a world of difference!

VN Store

Back