this team is just hard

We had no choice but to get rid of Pearl

In hindsight we should have told the NCAA to eff off and go kick rocks. And the SEC HQ leadership are a bunch of clowns for not having TN’s back. But IMO Bruce had peaked at TN even without getting caught. He’s been very lucky landing at such a traditionally corrupt place in Auburn as the NCAA enforcement was being neutered. With the N-I-L model Barn won’t have the advantage of being chronic cheaters for much longer. The winningest will shift hard to the best financed programs.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
People who do not think performance and compensation should go hand in hand literally amaze me. Obviously none of you all have ever been in sales
I'm amazed by this too. If the pay is greater than the production somebody is about to make an adjustment. One time I had a job making real good money working about 35 hours a week. I remember thinking, this ain't gonna last. Sure enough not long after that I got a phone call telling me to take all my stuff to the office and go home. Your done.

What results are you referring to? His 1 Sweet 16 appearance and 1 SEC regular season co-title ? Those are real impressive for 6 years
So is it salary sets expectations or not? Stop moving the goalposts…early on the results were better than his salary dictated, but you like to ignore that fact and just point to now.

In hindsight we should have told the NCAA to eff off and go kick rocks. And the SEC HQ leadership are a bunch of clowns for not having TN’s back. But IMO Bruce had peaked at TN even without getting caught. He’s been very lucky landing at such a traditionally corrupt place in Auburn as the NCAA enforcement was being neutered. With the N-I-L model Barn won’t have the advantage of being chronic cheaters for much longer. The winningest will shift hard to the best financed programs.
They are not gonna stop winning as long as Pearl stays there. Sure, he cheats to get talent just like most programs, but he takes that talent and wins. Auburn has always cheated in basketball yet nobody has won very much there till Bruce.

Reactions: 1985Vols
What results are you referring to? His 1 Sweet 16 appearance and 1 SEC regular season co-title ? Those are real impressive for 6 years

Another of your tired, relentlessly repeated arguments. Totally ignoring the hole that TN was in at the onset, that there wasn’t even an NCAAT in one of the 6, and that COVID has changed the landscape. TN was very close to a couple of EEs or better in the 3 tournaments they’ve been in.

I'm amazed by this too. If the pay is greater than the production somebody is about to make an adjustment. One time I had a job making real good money working about 35 hours a week. I remember thinking, this ain't gonna last. Sure enough not long after that I got a phone call telling me to take all my stuff to the office and go home. Your done.
You get fired regardless of salary, CCM was making towards bottom of league in salary, yet people were unhappy with him. People have expectations for the program regardless of salary, such a dumb take.

They are not gonna stop winning as long as Pearl stays there. Sure, he cheats to get talent just like most programs, but he takes that talent and wins. Auburn has always cheated in basketball yet nobody has won very much there till Bruce.
2 NCAAT appearances in 6 years….something tells me our fan base would say that’s not getting it done, 3 NCAAT in 5 years for Barnes if you were wondering.

Sonny Smith had good seasons during the Barkley/Persons era.

Last edited:

Sonny Smith got Auburn to their first 5 NCAATs. Even did it 5 years in a row.

The point is that Barn’s advantage of cheating at their unprecedented level has now disappeared with NIL. Other schools will pay just as well or better and being located in a cow pasture isn’t all that attractive.

Bruce is winding down at Barn. Maybe he’ll stick around another few years if he can negotiate that Cow College to hire Junior after a few more years.

Last edited:
The rebounding isn’t just a Nkahmoua thing though, Fulk had 0 rebounds in 18 minutes…there is definitely areas that need improvement with him no doubt, but if you’re saying he essentially had 4 gimmies he missed we are saying he should’ve gone 9/11 and put up 21pts, so clearly there’s quite a bit of potential there that seemingly is untapped. I agree I would love more aggression, more rebounding, etc etc…but I don’t think it’s crazy to say he’s been our best big this year, and I don’t think that’s something many would’ve predicted preseason, and definitely not you. Iirc you had said something like if he can give 8/8 it would be a bonus, he’s giving 10/6, so few extra points few less rebounds.
1.) I'm giving Fulk a pass on last night given he was supposedly wiped by Covid, last week. He looked like the Fulk we saw, last year, unfortunately. Hopefully those effects are short-lived.

2.) I'm not saying all four fumbles resulted in four missed shots. In fact, the first one on the opening possession occurred 17 feet from the basket. No guarantee of anything from that outside of the TO that resulted from it.

3.) On the season, I think Fulk has been ever so slightly better just because he's been equally as efficient in two fewer games.. They average an identical 9.5 pts/6 rebs. Out of 11 games, Fulks's had 10+ points six times and had at least 5+ rebounds eight times. Nkamhoua has managed identical splits, but in two extra games. It's close between them, but after 13 games being the best of this bunch is likely akin to being the tallest midget.

4.) That being said, you are right that Nkamhoua is nearly hitting my preseason expectation marks. It's not that I'm really disappointed in his actual production. I'm just disappointed in his development and lack of basketball IQ. He's midway thru his junior season and just doesn't seem very instinctive. The production I wanted to see is there, but I just wish he was brighter and more of a hustler on the boards because the opportunity certainly exists and the issue isn't physical.

People who do not think performance and compensation should go hand in hand literally amaze me. Obviously none of you all have ever been in sales
People in sales (those whose salary is based on commission) are generally compensated entirely different than the rest of the world. Bad example.

If Barnes were paid per win and based on significance of each win, you'd have a point.

It's the difference in commission and salary.

I didn't want to mention it last night because the Nkamhoua lovers will point to his 13 points on 5-7 shooting as if it absolves all of his other shortcomings, but since you broke the ice...

1.) He has terrible hands and next to no feel for his teammates intentions. It's as if almost every pass that isn't a direct, traditional post feed from outside the 3-point circle catches him completely unaware. Four times in last night's game he just botched a crafty pass. The opening possession he rolled off a pick and the pass went right thru his hands and out of bounds. In the 2nd half, he fumbled a lob pass at the basket, and then twice under three minutes to play, he botched two nifty feeds from Ziegler. The fact ON was able to handle the between the legs pass from Ziegler to ice the game was equal parts astonishing and amazing. The fact that he finished the play, afterwards, was even more so.

2.) His rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired. Last night, Tennessee and Ole Miss combined to miss 67 shots from the field, and he had 2 rebounds in 30 minutes.
•Mashack had 3 in 6 minutes.
•Ziegler, at 5-9, had 5 in 28 minutes.
•Vescovi had 6 in 42 minutes.
•Chandler had 2 in 28 minutes.
•Powell has 2 in 22 minutes.
Nkamhoua was matched, or outrebounded by every guard who played except V. Bailey, who played 2 minutes. That cant happen for a team that misses as many ahots as we do, and doesnt rebound well to begin with. He has to eat up rebounds.

The guy has some potential. He's shown flashes of it. He just doesn't seem to have a great basketball IQ or propensity for going the extra mile in the hustle department. We need him at his best to be our best as a team.
Well-said on all your points. It drives me crazy. So much potential, but at this point in his career, he’s just not what I had hoped for, especially with Barnes’ accolades in the pre-season.

We could have stood by him and ate the penalties. We likely would have one big by now if we had
He got a 3-year show-cause penalty WITH us firing him. How much worse do you suppose it would have been if we had double-birdied the NCAA and said screw you?

And even if it wasn't worse, which it would have been, you still think we could absorb the recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions to have survived it? Highly doubtful. As it turns out, Bruce and Tennessee were both better off with the split. We didn't get jackhammered by the NCAA, and he got a new lease on life after serving his time. It sucks that we had to lose him, but I'm not certain that 10 years later, he'd have kept his hand out of the cookie jar and not gotten busted for something else if he didn't see the teeth of the NCAA. He had to be taught a lesson.

1.) I'm giving Fulk a pass on last night given he was supposedly wiped by Covid, last week. He looked like the Fulk we saw, last year, unfortunately. Hopefully those effects are short-lived.

2.) I'm not saying all four fumbles resulted in four missed shots. In fact, the first one on the opening possession occurred 17 feet from the basket. No guarantee of anything from that outside of the TO that resulted from it.

3.) On the season, I think Fulk has been ever so slightly better just because he's been equally as efficient in two fewer games.. They average an identical 9.5 pts/6 rebs. Out of 11 games, Fulks's had 10+ points six times and had at least 5+ rebounds eight times. Nkamhoua has managed identical splits, but in two extra games. It's close between them, but after 13 games being the best of this bunch is likely akin to being the tallest midget.

4.) That being said, you are right that Nkamhoua is nearly hitting my preseason expectation marks. It's not that I'm really disappointed in his actual production. I'm just disappointed in his development and lack of basketball IQ. He's midway thru his junior season and just doesn't seem very instinctive. The production I wanted to see is there, but I just wish he was brighter and more of a hustler on the boards because the opportunity certainly exists and the issue isn't physical.

3). Midget or dwarf? I can’t ever keep my wokeness straight on that one. Little Person just sounds dumb.

Well-said on all your points. It drives me crazy. So much potential, but at this point in his career, he’s just not what I had hoped for, especially with Barnes’ accolades in the pre-season.
Yeah, it may seem odd that I'm complaining about him because he has exceeded my expectations. But like you said, I just see so much more potential beyond what he's giving, now. I just don't think the effort and desire are there that existed inside a Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield to be great.

For the 100th time, how much of CRB’s salary do you pay? If you don’t pay someone’s salary then it’s none of your business what he’s paid. If he’s not meeting the expectations of the folks paying him then they will have to deal with it.

Yeah, it may seem odd that I'm complaining about him because he has exceeded my expectations. But like you said, I just see so much more potential beyond what he's giving, now. I just don't think the effort and desire are there that existed inside a Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield to be great.
I noticed after two of those missed opportunities last night he went to the player making the pass and made gestures as to where the pass should have been thrown. I was next to my son and we agreed it’s a liability to try to throw anything in there that’s not completely uncontested.

VN Store

Back