this team is just hard

I didn't want to mention it last night because the Nkamhoua lovers will point to his 13 points on 5-7 shooting as if it absolves all of his other shortcomings, but since you broke the ice...

1.) He has terrible hands and next to no feel for his teammates intentions. It's as if almost every pass that isn't a direct, traditional post feed from outside the 3-point circle catches him completely unaware. Four times in last night's game he just botched a crafty pass. The opening possession he rolled off a pick and the pass went right thru his hands and out of bounds. In the 2nd half, he fumbled a lob pass at the basket, and then twice under three minutes to play, he botched two nifty feeds from Ziegler. The fact ON was able to handle the between the legs pass from Ziegler to ice the game was equal parts astonishing and amazing. The fact that he finished the play, afterwards, was even more so.

2.) His rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired. Last night, Tennessee and Ole Miss combined to miss 67 shots from the field, and he had 2 rebounds in 30 minutes.
•Mashack had 3 in 6 minutes.
•Ziegler, at 5-9, had 5 in 28 minutes.
•Vescovi had 6 in 42 minutes.
•Chandler had 2 in 28 minutes.
•Powell has 2 in 22 minutes.
Nkamhoua was matched, or outrebounded by every guard who played except V. Bailey, who played 2 minutes. That cant happen for a team that misses as many ahots as we do, and doesnt rebound well to begin with. He has to eat up rebounds.

The guy has some potential. He's shown flashes of it. He just doesn't seem to have a great basketball IQ or propensity for going the extra mile in the hustle department. We need him at his best to be our best as a team.

On the crafty pass from ZZ that I’m thinking of, the pass came to him at chest level and his hands were down by his hips. It’s like the notion that ZZ might pass to him was inconceivable.

Whatdya mean “OUR money’s worth”?? If Barnes was paid $500K/yr, you would b!tch about UT going bargain bin on Barnes.

Meanwhile we get it. It’s always Barnes’ fault when we don’t shoot > 70% and win pretty. He either called the wrong plays, had the wrong personnel in, or didn’t recruit or develop enough shooters. Players just do as coached. No human error element in shooting the rock. It’s just that simple!
Guy just hates Barnes. It has nothing to do with his salary. Like you said, if we were paying him $500k, 85 would moan that he still made too much. It isn't about money, it's just a convenient excuse. It isn't about his offense, because he completely changed it from last year when 85 complained. It isn't about the defense where we rank as one of the elite defensive teams in the country.

It's all about not liking Barnes.

On the crafty pass from ZZ that I’m thinking of, the pass came to him at chest level and his hands were down by his hips. It’s like the notion that ZZ might pass to him was inconceivable.
There were two of them.

One, under 3 minutes to play in regulation, ON was on the left side of the lane and fumbled the pass, but maintained possession.

The second one came with under 2 minutes to play in regulation with ON on the right side of the lane. Zeigler made a real nifty move to beat his man at the top of the key, drove the lane and drew ON's defender, fired a sharply thrown pass that bounced off ON's hands and out of bounds. You could argue ZZ should have taken a little off that pass, but if ON has his hands ready to receive the pass, then it's an easy dunk and likely and-1 opportunity.

There were two of them.

One, under 3 minutes to play in regulation, ON was on the left side of the lane and fumbled the pass, but maintained possession.

The second one came with under 2 minutes to play in regulation with ON on the right side of the lane. Zeigler made a real nifty move to beat his man at the top of the key, drove the lane and drew ON's defender, fired a sharply thrown pass that bounced off ON's hands and out of bounds. You could argue ZZ should have taken a little off that pass, but if ON has his hands ready to receive the pass, then it's an easy dunk and likely and-1 opportunity.

The 2nd one is the one I’m thinking of. ZZ used a lightening fast Tim Hardaway level crossover near the top of the key to blow by his man.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m not an educated basketball fan. I don’t watch the NBA or anything, my only interest is when Tennessee plays, so my opinion is probably completely worthless. Anyway to me it seems that we play a style of game that is capable of beating just about anyone on our day. Conversely we seem genuinely capable of losing to the crappiest teams imaginable. We have a high ceiling but our floor is non existent

There were two of them.

ZZ needs to aim those passes at Kamwow's face

I didn't want to mention it last night because the Nkamhoua lovers will point to his 13 points on 5-7 shooting as if it absolves all of his other shortcomings, but since you broke the ice...

1.) He has terrible hands and next to no feel for his teammates intentions. It's as if almost every pass that isn't a direct, traditional post feed from outside the 3-point circle catches him completely unaware. Four times in last night's game he just botched a crafty pass. The opening possession he rolled off a pick and the pass went right thru his hands and out of bounds. In the 2nd half, he fumbled a lob pass at the basket, and then twice under three minutes to play, he botched two nifty feeds from Ziegler. The fact ON was able to handle the between the legs pass from Ziegler to ice the game was equal parts astonishing and amazing. The fact that he finished the play, afterwards, was even more so.

2.) His rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired. Last night, Tennessee and Ole Miss combined to miss 67 shots from the field, and he had 2 rebounds in 30 minutes.
•Mashack had 3 in 6 minutes.
•Ziegler, at 5-9, had 5 in 28 minutes.
•Vescovi had 6 in 42 minutes.
•Chandler had 2 in 28 minutes.
•Powell has 2 in 22 minutes.
Nkamhoua was matched, or outrebounded by every guard who played except V. Bailey, who played 2 minutes. That cant happen for a team that misses as many ahots as we do, and doesnt rebound well to begin with. He has to eat up rebounds.

The guy has some potential. He's shown flashes of it. He just doesn't seem to have a great basketball IQ or propensity for going the extra mile in the hustle department. We need him at his best to be our best as a team.
The rebounding isn’t just a Nkahmoua thing though, Fulk had 0 rebounds in 18 minutes…there is definitely areas that need improvement with him no doubt, but if you’re saying he essentially had 4 gimmies he missed we are saying he should’ve gone 9/11 and put up 21pts, so clearly there’s quite a bit of potential there that seemingly is untapped. I agree I would love more aggression, more rebounding, etc etc…but I don’t think it’s crazy to say he’s been our best big this year, and I don’t think that’s something many would’ve predicted preseason, and definitely not you. Iirc you had said something like if he can give 8/8 it would be a bonus, he’s giving 10/6, so few extra points few less rebounds.

Whatdya mean “OUR money’s worth”?? If Barnes was paid $500K/yr, you would b!tch about UT going bargain bin on Barnes.

Meanwhile we get it. It’s always Barnes’ fault when we don’t shoot > 70% and win pretty. He either called the wrong plays, had the wrong personnel in, or didn’t recruit or develop enough shooters. Players just do as coached. No human error element in shooting the rock. It’s just that simple![/QUOTE
i love fans that never blame the coach. It’s like never blaming the boss when employees underperform in their job. The boss always throws the employees under the bus. If you don’t think we don’t have a coach that makes his players play uptight due to the way he coaches them I’m not sure what you’ve been watching the past 7 years. We saw how loose they played early in the season and How good they COULD be and now they are all afraid to make a mistake or shoot the wrong shot

I’m not an educated basketball fan. I don’t watch the NBA or anything, my only interest is when Tennessee plays, so my opinion is probably completely worthless. Anyway to me it seems that we play a style of game that is capable of beating just about anyone on our day. Conversely we seem genuinely capable of losing to the crappiest teams imaginable. We have a high ceiling but our floor is non existent

I would sub “average” for “crappiest”.

TN could easily be sitting at 12-1 right now.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The rebounding isn’t just a Nkahmoua thing though, Fulk had 0 rebounds in 18 minutes…there is definitely areas that need improvement with him no doubt, but if you’re saying he essentially had 4 gimmies he missed we are saying he should’ve gone 9/11 and put up 21pts, so clearly there’s quite a bit of potential there that seemingly is untapped. I agree I would love more aggression, more rebounding, etc etc…but I don’t think it’s crazy to say he’s been our best big this year, and I don’t think that’s something many would’ve predicted preseason, and definitely not you. Iirc you had said something like if he can give 8/8 it would be a bonus, he’s giving 10/6, so few extra points few less rebounds.

I wonder if the 4 guard plus one post combination has something to do with ORN (sometimes) and Fulk not performing well in the rebounding column?

I wonder if the 4 guard plus one post combination has something to do with ORN (sometimes) and Fulk not performing well in the rebounding column?
James rebounding very well obviously takes a few away, Vescovi also rebounds better than most guys his size….as a team we are actually a decent rebounding team, the large number of 3pta leads to long rebounds on the offensive end as well.

Funny how you (1985Vols… learn how to use the REPLY link) cite an extreme outlier like “never”. It might appear to you that some NEVER blame Barnes for anything when the reality is that you never do anything but chronically criticize him.

Last edited:
I would sub “average” for “crappiest”.

TN could easily be sitting at 12-1 right now.
You might be correct. But then again we went almost a quarter of the game last night without scoring. Hard to say that we couldn’t have lost to anyone playing that way. Our guys fought back and I’ll watch them because I love Tennessee and their effort. But IMO when you shoot that poorly almost anything can happen

Funny how you cite an extreme outlier like “never”. It might appear to you that some NEVER blame Barnes for anything when the reality is that you never do anything but chronically criticize him.
Barnes is a good coach and we are lucky to have him after the garbage we endured after stupidly getting rid of Bruce

That’s not what your post said lol…his results were much higher than his salary rank early on, but you were still complaining.
What results are you referring to? His 1 Sweet 16 appearance and 1 SEC regular season co-title ? Those are real impressive for 6 years

That’s not what your post said lol…his results were much higher than his salary rank early on, but you were still complaining.
People who do not think performance and compensation should go hand in hand literally amaze me. Obviously none of you all have ever been in sales

VN Store

Back