This team doesn't come out ready to play in 2nd half

Playing not to lose in the second half nearly cost us the game. Silly decision by barnes to let us take the foot off the pedal.
You were in the locker room and heard him? In the huddle? In his head? You're assuming and you have no clue either way

Reactions: butchna
You were in the locker room and heard him? In the huddle? In his head? You're assuming and you have no clue either way

Grant Williams on post game interview said at half time they decided they wanted to slow the pace of the game down. Listen to post game interview. Which is and always a mistake when you have the lead at half time, continue doing what you did to get the lead.

I am curious. Do people think the gap was narrowed because Iowa took what we did in 1H away (made us play their game)? Or, because Barnes didn’t make 2H adjustments. I guess I’m really asking did Iowa do it to us, or did we do it to ourselves?

Grant Williams on post game interview said at half time they decided they wanted to slow the pace of the game down. Listen to post game interview. Which is and always a mistake when you have the lead at half time, continue doing what you did to get the lead.

I agree it was a mistake. 1) that’s not what got the 21 pt lead at halftime and 2) you’ve been starting 2nd halves slow in recent games. They should have came out playing hard like it was tied.

I honestly don't understand the "Barnes doesn't motivate his guys for the second half" idea. These guys live and breathe basketball, and they are playing in the NCAA tournament with a chance for a historical final 4/NC. With our experienced squad, do people think they really need motivation from their coach? Common sense would tell me they are plenty motivated. Game plan, play calls, rotation? Those are valid critiques.

We did it to ourselves but it’s ok, if you learn from it. We are strong as heck mentally imo when it is on the line and that means Tae and Grant working 1v1. Which is why I thought Bone shooting the three out of the timeout was ?able.

Reactions: tbones0711
When you say “run clock” we usually turn that more into “hot potato” and when Bowden or Bone or Schoefield pass on an open shot they’re just passing pressure when the open j is not attempted, then you get late in the clock and bad passes and things happen.

We did it to ourselves but it’s ok, if you learn from it. We are strong as heck mentally imo when it is on the line and that means Tae and Grant working 1v1. Which is why I thought Bone shooting the three out of the timeout was ?able.
Two shots had me scratching my head. You mentioned one of them. In a tie game with 14 seconds to play, I find it difficult to believe we drew up a play to get Jordan Bone a look from 3. If we did, it is even more puzzling. I really didn't understand that decision.

The other was Admiral Schofield's decision to shoot a 3 with 41 seconds remaining and a two point lead when there was 22 seconds left on the shot clock. If I were Barnes, I'd have lost my mind. I don't care if he's open. You take that shot clock down to 10 seconds and drive the ball to the paint or get it to Grant.

Two shots had me scratching my head. You mentioned one of them. In a tie game with 14 seconds to play, I find it difficult to believe we drew up a play to get Jordan Bone a look from 3. If we did, it is even more puzzling. I really didn't understand that decision.

The other was Admiral Schofield's decision to shoot a 3 with 41 seconds remaining and a two point lead when there was 22 seconds left on the shot clock. If I were Barnes, I'd have lost my mind. I don't care if he's open. You take that shot clock down to 10 seconds and drive the ball to the paint or get it to Grant.
I agree with the Admiral shot and said in another thread that's the real reason he didn't play in OT. According to Barnes in the press conference, it was to be a 2 man play with Turner getting the ball to Grant on the block or a return pass for a Turner shot. Iowa defended it well, forcing a kick out to Bone and a 3 attempt as time was running out.

Barnes wanted a quick shot with 41 seconds to get a 2 for 1. Admiral was left open so he took it. Had he made it, the game comes down to making our free throws. If it's missed and Iowa missed, the game comes down to making free throws. If he missed and Iowa converts, then TN takes the last shot for the win. That's good coaching math. Barnes called for it to go inside to Williams, but he said that Admiral was correct in taking it as he had an open look.

I suppose the 3 at the end of regulation was because Iowa came out in a zone and TN couldn't get into the paint as the play was designed.

Reactions: rush1228
Barnes wanted a quick shot with 41 seconds to get a 2 for 1. Admiral was left open so he took it. Had he made it, the game comes down to making our free throws. If it's missed and Iowa missed, the game comes down to making free throws. If he missed and Iowa converts, then TN takes the last shot for the win. That's good coaching math. Barnes called for it to go inside to Williams, but he said that Admiral was correct in taking it as he had an open look.
What you are saying makes some sense, but I don't know. It makes more sense to close a half, but at the end of a game, it would seem to me like you want to shorten the game with the lead. I guess maybe a 3 point lead instead of 2 may have had him play it differently. With a 2-pt lead, he might not have wanted to give a good outside shooting Iowa team the last look at a 3 if we failed to score.

I suppose the 3 at the end of regulation was because Iowa came out in a zone and TN couldn't get into the paint as the play was designed.
If you can't get the look you want, then call your last timeout. [/B]

The final play was supposed to be Grant at the high post, Iowa came out in zone which threw Tennessee off...should’ve had a play call for man or a zone set.

The final play was supposed to be Grant at the high post, Iowa came out in zone which threw Tennessee off...should’ve had a play call for man or a zone set.
That is more of the play I figured would be called. Again though, if you don't like what you see from Iowa's defense, call your other TO and draw up another play.

You can slow it down, eat clock and win easily with a 25 point lead, just drive and pick up fouls. What you can't do is turn the ball over 10 times, not get up a shot, not get fouled and actually fuel their offense.

Never implied Barnes wasn’t a good coach, his tournament record is not very good that cannot be ignored.

But the Durant argument is just not a good example. I have discussed this previously. That team was very young. As in, there was one senior and two juniors on that team, and they weren’t real factors. 4 of their top 5 scorers were freshmen, and the fifth was a sophomore. And we aren’t talking about all 5 stars either. Durant was obviously a stud. Two others were top 30, and one of those ended up playing all 4 years at Texas. The other two were top 100.

Barnes was coaching a UK team with far less talent.

You can slow it down, eat clock and win easily with a 25 point lead, just drive and pick up fouls. What you can't do is turn the ball over 10 times, not get up a shot, not get fouled and actually fuel their offense.

Yes, people are saying we slowed it down in the second half. I had taped the game and watched after knowing the outcome and seeing comments. Pace starts on the defensive end. You can’t play with pace when the opponent is scoring and getting back on defense. Our defense wasn’t as good, and we turned it over 11 times in the second half. That’s what hurt in my opinion.

Reactions: IPleadInsanity

VN Store

Back