This fanbase doesn't get it

To be fair, the current administration did not cause this. They just inherited it. You want to blame someone, find Mike Hamilton.

IMO, the Dooley hire was the big mistake that started the downturn.
I agree mostly…but I really think it all boils down to a January night in 2010 when LK bolted like a little b$&ch to USC. That really started the spiral but half our fan base are co-dependent Lane Kiffin fans and do not blame him anymore.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
The cupboard may not be completely bare but there sure aren't any extra groceries in the cupboard. Heupel has this team playing hard and working to get better. New system on both sides of the ball, a lot of new starters and they were in a position to win a game against an experienced team from a major conference.

Heupel is the best coach on the Hill since Fulmer left. I know that's not saying much but it's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: MyVolsDropped
I agree but that choice is gone for this program. We have pissed away this being a top job with a lot of clout in the hiring process. No coach will come here without a huge buy-out now, that will get worse if we keep firing in 1 or 2 years. The top coaches that we need will not consider this program at any price and that will not change in the near future. Additionally, I think the administration like where the program is right now, they no longer need to put butts in seats to cover the expense.
Which is exactly a great argument for hiring Freeze when we had the chance. Here was a coach who needed a doorway back into the SEC. It was a once in a decade chance to get a proven coach under our unique program challenges. We were in a strong position for favorable contract terms but we’re too timid once again

We lost to a very veteran Pitt team. Things are looking up that’s for sure. Had a chance to tie the game twice.

What's your thoughts on HB ?

I feel like he played well enough last season getting thrown into the starting spot as freshman with an incompetent coaching staff, and it's hard to tell much from the O&W game given that he was going up against our 3rd string defense. I have no clue how he'd perform at this point.

Given the way things are going, if Heupel keeps trotting Milton out onto the field, and Hooker is gets the trash-time reps for the rest of the season, if I were Bailey I'd learn as much as I could this season in practice, and I'd announce my transfer on November 28th.

Heupel is either correct, and Bailey is not a P5-level QB, and he needs to go down to a non-P5 conference to get playing time, or Heupel is not, and his talent and eligibility are being wasted at UT. Either way, without serious injury I don't think he ever plays a meaningful down in a game outside of possibly TN Tech or South Alabama, and Heupel is already recruiting his handpicked QB in the 2022 class.

Reactions: Remy
Our depth sucks but we aren’t untalented. Probably less talented than last year but we look much better
We are talented enough to have

Our best defender out, Bumphus out on the d-line, Baron in and out of the game, our center out, starting QB out, best WR out, both starting RB's out and still go toe to toe with an upper tier ACC team (comparable to a mid pack SEC team)

Reactions: lukeneyland
We are talented enough to have

Our best defender out, Bumphus out on the d-line, Baron in and out of the game, our center out, starting QB out, best WR out, both starting RB's out and still go toe to toe with an upper tier ACC team (comparable to a mid pack SEC team)
Yeah I think we probably a decent team on a good day. It’s our inability to pressure the passer that has and probably will be our biggest problem

Which is exactly a great argument for hiring Freeze when we had the chance. Here was a coach who needed a doorway back into the SEC. It was a once in a decade chance to get a proven coach under our unique program challenges. We were in a strong position for favorable contract terms but we’re too timid once again

Of course but the key point is the administration does not want to compete for championships in football, its too expensive. They don't want the pressure of the huge coaching paychecks, paying players and then keeping butts in seats. Its much easier to finish middle of the pack, pay middle of the pack salaries and collect the SEC Tv money and bowl split. They know the stadium will be 70% full if they lose all their SEC games.This funds all the other sports and the revenues are guaranteed.

I feel like he played well enough last season getting thrown into the starting spot as freshman with an incompetent coaching staff, and it's hard to tell much from the O&W game given that he was going up against our 3rd string defense. I have no clue how he'd perform at this point.

Given the way things are going, if Heupel keeps trotting Milton out onto the field, and Hooker is gets the trash-time reps for the rest of the season, if I were Bailey I'd learn as much as I could this season in practice, and I'd announce my transfer on November 28th.

Heupel is either correct, and Bailey is not a P5-level QB, and he needs to go down to a non-P5 conference to get playing time, or Heupel is not, and his talent and eligibility are being wasted at UT. Either way, without serious injury I don't think he ever plays a meaningful down in a game outside of possibly TN Tech or South Alabama, and Heupel is already recruiting his handpicked QB in the 2022 class.
Appreciate your thoughts, I will agree if HB doesn’t see any playing time he’s gone. GBO !

DW couldn't force someone to take the job. How many proven winners, without baggage, were willing to take the job?
Good points. How many were going to take over the mess that Pruitt left? I didn’t see them lining up. (And don’t say Hugh Freeze. He hasn’t served his penance yet.) Possible serious NCAA sanctions, 30 players hitting the transfer portal and nowhere close to 85 scholarship players. That’s what the new coach faced. I get very amused at people demanding it turnaround in 2 games. Ain’t happening people. I figure the ones that are so impatient either know nothing about what it takes to build a program or are just youngsters who are part of the “I want it and I want it now” whiners generation. People: this is the result of 3 straight poor coaching choices and it ain’t getting fixed overnight. Maybe Heupel gets it done and maybe not. But it’s going to take longer than one year with a depleted group of players to fix it. Might as well settle in and watch the ride.

Yeah they looked really prepared with all those penalties and starting a QB whom is inferior to his backup. He had the same penalties problem at UCF it isn’t a coincidence

Might as well get used to it. The clean BG game was an anomaly for this offense. It's one of the knocks on it ... more pre and post snap penalties than most other teams. Anyone who watched a little UCF film can see that. It's part and parcel of an ultrafast offense that forbids a defense from substituting. Haste makes waste, and it's no different when we're going so fast.
As far as which QB is inferior, I'd wait for more sample size than 2 games.

Last edited:
I don't need to be anywhere near the bottom of the privy with all of the #@$% you are spewing.

I was just trying to see it with Orange colored glasses and find some reason to explain why at least 10k-17k fewer fans showed up to the Pitt game than previous years. Would it have better to say people didn't show up to watch Pitt because we were supposed to lose? Either way, the official attendance was 18-20k less than full capacity for our first game and our first real opponent. Call me whatever you want, but the numbers don't lie. Looking back, these numbers are even worse.

Year First game second game
2019 GA St. - 86k BYU - 93k
2018 neutral site ETSU - 96k
2017 neutral site Ind. St - 99k

Nice records. But, yes, absolutely 100% yes, the attendance numbers at UT football (& basketball) event are ALWAYS false. The only time it's accurate is when 100% full. But still I won't call you anything. LOL.

Reactions: volkyries
we just need a little overachievement in the right couple of games to change the narrative and flip some difference-maker prospects our way in the 2022 class. When Pitt threw that lateral double pass, I was thinking why in the heck are we not doing stuff like that. The staff may have four years because of their contracts but the program is still in desperation mode. We have to have wins to get good players to get more wins.
I'm all for doing what it takes to win. We need to win with this staff or I predict another decade or two of dark days.

Nick Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins. First year at Bama 7 wins.
Dabo Swinney's first 3 years at Clemson: 4 wins (in 7 games as the interim coach), 9 wins, 6 wins.
Brian Kelly's first 2 years at Central Michigan: 4 wins, 6 wins. First 2 years at ND: 8 wins, 8 wins.
Pete Carroll's first year at USC: 6 wins.

You guys would all be on here trying to run these guys off if they had the same start here at UT than at their previous stops. I would argue we are in a worse spot than all of those other school's when they took over their programs. A decade plus of instability, looming NCAA investigation and sanctions, the toughest conference in college football and the vocal idiots expect this dumpster fire of a program to be turned around in 2 games. Hell, look at our basketball program as an example. Rick Barnes had a losing record his first two seasons combined before he got it turned around. We aren't in a position to turn this around in year 1 and most likely year 2 either.

The reality is that no matter who we hired; this was going to be a rough year. We haven't recruited at a high enough level, haven't developed enough guys, and the bulk of our best players all left the program before the season. I have no idea if Heupel is the guy or not. Heupel was pretty far down the list in terms of our coaching wish list so honestly he probably isn't the guy long term. However, the hope is that he can bring in some talent, get us to 7 or 8 wins a year, and we are a much more attractive job for the guy to take us beyond that. Either way, blaming this dumpster fire of a program on Heupel is asinine and ridiculous.
Do l get some kind of continuing education certificate or something if I read all this?

Yeah I think we will score 30+ points per game this year with the exception of Georgia and Alabama games. What baffles me is, watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the defense played really well. But then look at the scoreboard and we gave up 41 points. I knew we were going to give up points in bunches, but it’s odd how it still happened considering defense looked solid yesterday.
Fair question, here is a response. Three turnovers by our O put our D right back out there, sometimes with short field at their backs. Over 120 yds in penalties didn't help, either, much of it by the offense, but some on the D for defending TOO aggressively.

I am more encouraged than discouraged by what I saw.

Fair question, here is a response. Three turnovers by our O put our D right back out there, sometimes with short field at their backs. Over 120 yds in penalties didn't help, either, much of it by the offense, but some on the D for defending TOO aggressively.

I am more encouraged than discouraged by what I saw.

The turnovers only resulted in 3 points for Pitt though. I really think the bigger issue is penalties. Lack of discipline resulted in really stupid loss of yards for us or gained yards for Pitt. We punch that ball in from the 5? Totally different ballgame. Instead penalties push us back to the 30+ and we have to settle.

Turnovers are going to happen. Bad throws are going to happen. But undisciplined mental errors are inexcusable.

VN Store

Back