Things that you would change about the game if you could.

1. eliminate the ejection for targeting until the 2nd offense....
2. change the rules for the clock back to what it used to be....sick of TV trying to dictate the game...i.e., the clock stops on out of bounds plays, and incomplete passes....
3. shorten play clock to 35 seconds....
4. institute a 2 minute warning
5. make PI a spot foul
6. a player is not ruled down until he is touched--like the NFL....

Just off the top of my head
I like all of those. Good job!

Lose the rule where the other team gets awarded the football if someone fumbles out of the end zone. It makes zero sense to me that anywhere else you fumble and it goes out of bounds you get the ball where it went out or at the spot of the fumble. But if you fumble through the end zone it’s automatically the other teams ball. I’ll never understand it.
That’s the worst rule in history

Reactions: AM64 and Tnslim1
No. What if the injury is legit like getting the wind knocked out for one or two plays. Happens all the time.

It's way to common to see them look to the sideline and then fall down. If they're gonna talk about always erring on the side of caution then there is no reason to argue against keeping them out for 1 drive to be fully checked out, in my opinion. To be fair I can't recall it happening to us in awhile but seemingly every week there was a highlight of a player being fine, coaches pointing down and down he goes.

1. Immediately get rid of "targeting rule"
2. Suspend with 20yr show cause anyone involved in implementing the "targeting rule".
3. Get rid of "fair catch"
It has always been fair. If you can get it, you can advance it.
If you can't, back up and let the opposing team down it where they may.
4. All kick-offs from the 25 yard line.
On-sides kicks become interesting
Brings back kick returns
Adds excitement back to what is becoming an effeminate game

It's getting boring watching.

There used to be a thing called the kicking game. Exciting returns. Specialized players. Track star cross-overs. Bone crushing hits. Narrow escapes. Explosions into the open field. Breakaways.

Now there is only long boring stretches where the ball changes hands with no appreciable potential variables or potential for excitement.

The targeting rule is feminine. Football is America's warrior sport. If you aren't tough, athletic or lucky enough, stay off the field. No one is forcing you. How many times have they wasted our time checking to see if they can ruin the game by getting rid of the very guy who just made a great play? An exciting play.

HDNRBy.gif

blQjbU.gif

It's only a matter of time before someone discovers a better entertaining way. $$

It's way to common to see them look to the sideline and then fall down. If they're gonna talk about always erring on the side of caution then there is no reason to argue against keeping them out for 1 drive to be fully checked out, in my opinion. To be fair I can't recall it happening to us in awhile but seemingly every week there was a highlight of a player being fine, coaches pointing down and down he goes.
I’m sure it happens some but I have never seen anything on TV like you have described above.

I think you see that now due to changes in the clock rule. Sometimes a player gets up gimpy and on the far sideline and the ref has already spotted the ball and started the clock. Coaches now tell players that if you get dinged up and can't run off, just fall down. Otherwise you get a delay of game called on you. You do make me think of the clock rule that resets the play clock to 25 seconds after a penalty and then starts the game clock. We saw that in the playoffs. The winning team taking one 5 yard penalty after another in the 4th quarter just to run the clock out (Is that only in the pros?). It's a really bad rule. I like it better the old way. Have the clock start on the snap of the ball after a penalty or out of bounds rule.

Targeting should be limited to only when the crown of the helmet is lowered to engage a player. This includes offensive players engaging the line of scrimmage, no more lowered helmets but also no more dinky targeting calls when a guy puts a shoulder on someone.

Touchback would be brought out to the 15 yard line, but if the ball lands out of the end-zone(past the end zone) it would be spotted on the 25. This would bring back kick returns, and require a fairly accurate kicker.
qb hit in the act of throwing and ball goes loose-should be a fumble-no more "incomplete pass". At the instant the hit -the ball was effected by the hit-it is a fumble.
Excessive celebration, should be based on time and not just stupidity. For example: five seconds worth, no more. Vulgarity-etc. would still unsportsmanlike.
Helmet comes off-not just one play, the rest of that half-(not player removing, but lost in play)-if you are serious about head injuries make it very costly for the "player".

Targeting for sure, no such thing a defenseless player. Everyone on the field should have their guard up after all they are playing a contact sport...

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
Get rid of instant replay. A bad call sucks but the constant "time outs" kill the intensity and momentum of the game.

Reactions: Chartervol
Players actually have to get in the end zone, not just break the plain. Make it like a completed pass where you have to have one footin the end zone. Make everything a lot less controversial
Absolutely what I was gonna say.

2. change the rules for the clock back to what it used to be....sick of TV trying to dictate the game...i.e., the clock stops on out of bounds plays, and incomplete passes....
5. make PI a spot foul

The only bad thing that could come from number 1 is if players use that as a free headshot to opposing qbs, wide receivers, etc. might as well drop the hammer if they know they’ll only get a warning

For the P5 schools, I’d create a laser system for the football, sidelines, endzones for ball placement/first downs/td decisions and eliminate the chain gang. I’d also take refereeing of revenue sports away from the P5 conferences and into a centralized body serving all conferences.
How would the laser system tell when a players knee is down? Sounds like a good idea but not sure it would be practical

My first post ever on this board. As for me, I've been a lurker for a long time. I pretty much dumped all boards when Tennessee dumped Bruce Pearl. It didn't help matters when the Kiffin/Dooley/Jones fiascos were going on. I go all the way back to the old Gridscape days. Those were good times. Hopefully we get back to that very soon. My question is, not be to controversial, "What would you do to change the game if you had the power to do so?". It is the off season and we do have a lot of time to fill so have at it guys and gals. What would you change?

For me, I would do two things.

1) Ban all synthetic noise makers by all teams. What I mean are things like 'Smokey's Howl', Vandys fog horn, Etc. This adds nothing to the game and is just an annoyance and a reason to not want to go to the game. I mean if you can't have fans make the noise, then why are they going to the game in the first place? It adds absolutely nothing in my opinion.

2) There is a trend that I noticed a few years back that I think started in the big 12 conference. It drives me nuts. It's a technique used by the bands where they hold a loud, obnoxious note between every freaking play all the way up till the opposing offense is lined on the ball. I think it's bush league stuff (big 12). It makes it hard to interact and enjoy the game with others around while watching the game and you can't hear the announcer. It doesn't seem to bother the teams very much but it sure drives me crazy. It unfortunately seems to be getting worse. I noticed a couple of years ago that one bush league SEC team to our south (paint themselves black and red, act like barking dogs, biggest bunch of Saturday tranny's I have ever seen, never,ever live up to their potential, etc.) has adopted this crap. If I could, I would have a rule that bands can play after 1st downs, big plays, touchdowns, end of quarters, before and after the game. That's enough. Any other time the band should cheer like any other fan. I remember the Olympics many years ago when they had to ban the Vuvuzela. They were banned here in college football as well. So why should the band get to use their horns as noise makers? Imagine 100,000 trumpets being blown at once, non-stop, for an entire game! Unbearable.

So. Those are the two things that (IMO) make college football less fun and are just bad for the game. What do you think?

The first thing I'd change is Overtime. The key word is 'TIME" . Instead of taking turns from the 20 yard line, Simply add 5 minutes, 10 minutes - whatever, coin toss, and kickoff. That the overtime is actually based on TIME! No unfair advantages. Just play another short quarter, or 2 if needed. NFL overtime sucks too. I don't understand why this has never been tried!?!?!

Another thing is, I would like to see unsportsmanlike penalties put is place for players who crowd around a completed play, and try to be the refs. Stand back, so the refs can get a better look, with your hands to yourself, and wait for their decision,.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
I hope that Tennessee will adapt aggressive offensive strategy - Reverses, Running back passes, option plays, and tricks integratedinto a badass 1st down machine system ,mostly based on strength - solid run game, and speed - short passes.

My biggest pet peeve in football is when a receiver and a DB are both sprinting down the field and the receiver just changes directions to come back for the ball, collides with the DB, and gets a PI. That shouldn’t be PI. In fact... If anything it should be called on the offense.

As many other have said... They either need to get rid of targeting or start calling it equally on the offense.

I don’t want to remove replay but I think they should be given no more than 60 seconds and if they can’t change it by then, the play stands as called.

Also... I think each coach should get one challenge per game to challenge absolutely any call he wants. You think they missed a hold? Challenge it. You think that was/wasn’t PI? Challenge it. Missed facemask? Challenge it. The thing is you only get one per game regardless of weather or not you’re right. So use it wisely. You would get charged a TO if you’re wrong though so you wouldn’t be able to challenge if you’ve used all your TOs.

Reactions: savannahfan
Turn back time and return us to the NFL of the 60's/70's. Failing that, get rid of targeting and give us back the kickoff return.

5. make PI a spot foul

This is from an NFL fan like myself. Looks like my list. I would also add reviewing roughing the passer calls, especially if Brady is still a Pat.

Speaking of noise....

BAN THAT GODAWFUL FAKE COCK-CROW NOISE AT WILLIAMS-BRYCE STADIUM

VN Store

Back