The Zone official Thanksgiving Thread

I don't think any other country frets over their past like we do.

Just an observation. Not trying to minimize the evils our country has done.
Maybe Canada and Australia. Otherwise, you’re right. Most places in the world I’ve been, the first thing the natives want to tell you is how % european ancestry they have.

For dip peeps, need some feedback here pls.

This was suggested as a dip for the sausage balls. (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but to each his own, I guess.)

I have the ingredients. Does this sound interesting, in a good way? These are straight-ahead Bisquik sausage balls, with pork sausage, sharp cheddar, and chives. Nuthin fancy.

Ingredients
▢ 1 cup sour cream

▢ 1 cup mayonnaise
▢ 1/4 cup Thai sweet red chile sauce

Instructions
Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. You can adjust the amount of chile sauce to your own liking, start at 2 tbsp and work your way up!
Pinch of salt, squeeze of lime?

Reactions: VolNExile

This was suggested as a dip for the sausage balls. (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but to each his own, I guess.)

I have the ingredients. Does this sound interesting, in a good way? These are straight-ahead Bisquik sausage balls, with pork sausage, sharp cheddar, and chives. Nuthin fancy.

Ingredients
▢ 1 cup sour cream

▢ 1 cup mayonnaise

Instructions
Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. You can adjust the amount of chile sauce to your own liking, start at 2 tbsp and work your way up!
Set out a bowl of A1, I mean people that dip sausage balls will think that's a great idea.

Make a side of sawmill gravy and set it out. That's a terrible idea that would be awesome.

Seriously. That one you listed doesn't sound too good, but it's actually a good idea if you dont care what anybody thinks about your sausage ball dipping sauce. Make a small amout so you can say you offered it. Best case scenario is nobody tries and you dont have much to throw away.

Sriracha mayo might actually be worth trying.

Set out a bowl of A1, I mean people that dip sausage balls will think that's a great idea.

Make a side of sawmill gravy and set it out. That's a terrible idea that would be awesome.

Seriously. That one you listed doesn't sound too good, but it's actually a good idea if you dont care what anybody thinks about your sausage ball dipping sauce. Make a small amout so you can say you offered it. Best case scenario is mobody tries and you donr have much to throw away.

Sriracha mayo might actually be worth trying.
Yeah, I was thinking of dialing it back to a half batch. Also maybe setting out some salsa verde. Thanks.

I’m still kind of stunned at the concept of dipping sausage balls.

Yeah, I was thinking of dialing it back to a half batch. Also maybe setting out some salsa verde. Thanks.

I’m still kind of stunned at the concept of dipping sausage balls.
You're welcome, but to be honest I wasn't trying to help. Lol, I was just playing.

If you really wanted to do something, I'd go in the direction of the chili sauce idea just Not the above one or a mustard sauce. I don't want sauce with mine but I could see a mustard/horseradish...maybe Wasabi, and garlic. I'd dip them in my key lime stone crab sauce, but I could dip peanut butter cups in that stuff. It's like a tropical spicy honey mustard with a freshness twist.

Anyway, If I have a pound of leftover sausage balls Friday morning, I'm making a batch of gravy, sitting down with the 2 and calling it a day.

Ingredients
▢ 1 cup sour cream

▢ 1 cup mayonnaise

Instructions
That sounds absolutely nasty but maybe that’s just me.

Worst part about dealing with the turkey is trying not to contaminate the whole damn kitchen
It’s in one of the (two) mini-fridges. Pretty much all alone other than some refrigerator pickles and whatnot. The beer got evicted for The Cause.

Cornbread is done, and is maybe some of the best I have done, even wife and son rolled their eyes with delight when they tried a slice. I changed tradition and added a bit of fresh sage minced in it. Ironic I can't eat it, I had a pinch just to see if it was right. Ducks are done and beautiful, but I still need to cut up some dark meat hearts etc for mince for dressing. Will wait till morning. I really wish I had insulin for tomorrow. I am borderline, and just keep low carbs, and take medicine... have tried to make it so I do not have to depend on insulin as long as possible. However, I know damn will it won't compete with tomorrow. I wish I had insulin just for tomorrow. Must restrain myself. 80% veggies and meat. Just a small taste of the dressing, sweet potatoes, and pie.

My perfect Cornbread (for dressing)

For one large skillit and one large end pan of dressing, (we do two pans so I double it 4 cups cornmeal etc, for two LARGE cast iron skillits. )

2 cups of cornmeal
1 cup of self rising flower
(my addition to my grandmother's recipe is sage. She did add sage a couple of times as apparently that was the way she did long ago, but my mom wasn't a fan of sage, so she normally omitted it, I loved it with sage though)
Get fresh sage or no sage at all. Should be velvety, mince it as fine as you can I probably went sage heavy this year 1/4 to 1/3 cup....makes it damn near mouth watering scrapple flavor. Some may prefer less sage if your not sure maybe start with half that.
Mix these dry REALLY well by hand or whisk...I might also add some black pepper or not....no idea amount just judge.

After that is mixed well in a big tub, add 2 eggs, and this is key Half a cup of wesson vegtable oil. my grandmother always swore it had to be wesson vegtable oil and so that's what I do. This is double the amount of oil you use if your just making cornbread for cornbread sake. (1/4 cup) It makes it stay more moist since you're baking it twice.

Add buttermilk and keep mixing let it sit and thicken and more buttermilk mix, let it sit again, add more buttermilk. You want it to be semi liquid it should pour and not be paste. No idea amount you just know when it's kind liquidy but not completely liquidy, and not pasty. I dunno this is a once you know you know thing.

cast iron should be in oven at 450.... with lard or crisco etc rubbed into pans should just start to smoke a bit when heated up.

when it gets to temp pour mix on the pan in oven or on stove it should sizzle.....put it back in oven and set to 425

20 minutes or 25 minutes depending on size of pan...bigger pan needs less smaller pan that is going to be thicker needs more. I use the biggest cast iron for this because I want as much golden brown as possible crust for dressing. the reason for high heat etc, is to make that perfectly brown undercrust and golden brown top....it will look like a picture.

This is damn fine cornbread......I dunno If I will share the dressing secrets.. but this cornbread is the shizzle.

My grandmama on my mom's side had her mom die when she was 6-7 and she had to cook for her dad and 7 brothers in middle jawjaw on a VERY rural backwoods farm (mules) pretty much from that point on. the woman could shame the best chef, but she never measured much of anything we had to literally have her put in ingredients by judgement then we put it in measuring cups to figure out ratios. For me making her dressing is a near spiritual activity.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back