The Zone official Thanksgiving Thread

Orangeredblooded

Post whatever memories of your Thanksgivings of years past and what your family will be having this year, pics also. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and it always seems to be overlooked.

Yes Behr, I will start a thread when I feel it’s need.

Reactions: volwindy
Do you do this every year or just this one?
Used to when we'd go up there. They've came here for Thanksgiving for several years now. I had a preacher friend who took us here a couple of times. We're gonna go up there this year for Thanksgiving, but we won't be hunting. I gotta come back that evening, because I work that Friday.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
Used to when we'd go up there. They've came here for Thanksgiving for several years now. I had a preacher friend who took us here a couple of times. We're gonna go up there this year for Thanksgiving, but we won't be hunting. I gotta come back that evening, because I work that Friday.
I always remember us not having that much on Thanksgiving in the early 70’s, but my parents and grandparents always got together and put everything together and the table always looked like a smorgasbord to us. I still cook those family classics to this day.

We always went to my grandmother's house when she was alive. There were two constant things at every Thanksgiving, 1- she had this big multicolored bowl she'd have soup beans in. 2- she'd smack me for picking the skin off the Turkey, and peeling the sides off her cornbread 🤣

I've never cared for the traditional Thanksgiving meal, but anytime I got to go see my Grandma was always a win. As a kid I probably spent more time at their house than I did my parents. That woman could do no wrong. My Papaw taught me to fish and shoot too.

lh7miye8674q.gif

I've never cared for the traditional Thanksgiving meal, but anytime I got to go see my Grandma was always a win. As a kid I probably spent more time at their house than I did my parents. That woman could do no wrong. My Papaw taught me to fish and shoot too.
That’s what Thanksgiving is all about. My grandmother always kept two glass jars on her counter, one filled with M & M’s and the bigger one with cookies for when she knew we were coming over for Thanksgiving. She had one of those step stools where the steps folded out thingys right beside her counter.

Going coon hunting with my dad growing up after Thanksgiving dinner
did you get to use guns? my great grandmother, mom's dad's mom, used to make us go. She had upside down trash can lids wedged in some low tree branch elbows and would put dinner scraps in them. After we'd clean the dishes (hand washing) and play some dominoes, she'd give us all a club (like a billy club) and lead us outside to try and find a coon eating out of one of those lids so we could club it to death for her to add to her stew meat supply. Yeah. My granny.

One year, my mother didn’t get an invitation from my siblings. I felt that she deserved a break from traveling and told her I would visit and we’d fix dinner together. I arrived by cocktail hour Wednesday, and while we were enjoying martinis at sunset in her back yard, a miles long flock of crows steadily streamed into the trees at the tip of the peninsula. We observed this phenomenon for twenty minutes. The massive mob of thousands spent the night and flew on in the morning.

There were grebes in the creek, herons around the pond, and hawks overhead. We roasted a small turkey and served it with green bean casserole, mashed potatoes & gravy, pickles, olives, cranberry sauce, and apple pie for dessert.

I made martinis every night (two a piece). Striped bass and redfish we’re running in the creek, and I had good luck catching them. Fresh fish gave us a break from leftover turkey. Mom chose what she wanted and filled my cooler with the rest for my trip home Sunday afternoon.

did you get to use guns? my great grandmother, mom's dad's mom, used to make us go. She had upside down trash can lids wedged in some low tree branch elbows and would put dinner scraps in them. After we'd clean the dishes (hand washing) and play some dominoes, she'd give us all a club (like a billy club) and lead us outside to try and find a coon eating out of one of those lids so we could club it to death for her to add to her stew meat supply. Yeah. My granny.
Yeah, thankfully we used 22's. I wouldn't want to go hand to hand combat with a coon🤣

I hate my sister.
My dad is really suffering
My mother is really tight with my sister, more so than with me but still treats me and my family well. She’s trying to put pressure on me to reconcile with my sister who I’ve never gotten along with…ever.
It’s not happening…I don’t have to allow people in my life that constantly bring pain, drama and misery.

**** the holidays….seriously.

But y’all should all have a good one.
I want nothing but the best for all you fine people.

VN Store

Back