The WRASSLIN’ Thread

What was it for you that sticks out?

I’m a 90s kids so I grew up on the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression. I loved the violence, blood, suspense, surprises.

I feel today that wrestling has a ton of talent but no one that sticks out like an Austin/Rock/Taker. I also feel today that wrestling can be a complete spot fest or they just throw matches together with no back story.

Back then they tried to have everyone believe it was real. Being a kid, I thought a lot of it was. Stuff like this reinforced that belief:

They also had great angles with Andy Kaufman, Jimmy Hart, etc. I read sometime later that several people called the cops for the car incident.

Reactions: headhunter15
Well I doubt he'll be challenging for the title *coughcoughGoldbergcoughcough*
There are rumors that he will possibly be one of the announcers on the new wrestling show AEW is supposed to be starting on TNT later this year.

Wrestling is like country music. There’s only so many ways you can spin trucks, drinking beer and having exes. It’s all recycled.

Reactions: Border Vol
Wrestling is like country music. There’s only so many ways you can spin trucks, drinking beer and having exes. It’s all recycled.
Yep . . . It's like any other entertainment. They just want an emotional buy in from the audience so they'll pick sides in a personal issue. It's just Jerry Springer with a choreographed fight to resolve the conflict.

Also, it's harder to make people believe stuff these days with the internet and twitter.

Like Kyle O'Reilly's seizure last week, NXT put it out and i believe it was Ryan Satin came out on twitter and called it a work.

Reactions: oUTlaw
What was it for you that sticks out?

I’m a 90s kids so I grew up on the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression. I loved the violence, blood, suspense, surprises.

I feel today that wrestling has a ton of talent but no one that sticks out like an Austin/Rock/Taker. I also feel today that wrestling can be a complete spot fest or they just throw matches together with no back story.

One of the most vivid moments of my childhood being in attendance for Jerry Lawler v Austin Idol hair v hair match in a steel cage. I suggest watching a Youtube of the slow build to that angle and the actual match. That is how you do an angle...

Look at the emotional buy-in from the audience once Tommy Rich costs the King.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Also, it's harder to make people believe stuff these days with the internet and twitter.

Like Kyle O'Reilly's seizure last week, NXT put it out and i believe it was Ryan Satin came out on twitter and called it a work.
But doesn't everybody know at this point that EVERYTHING is a work?

Reactions: JCHateSteve
But doesn't everybody know at this point that EVERYTHING is a work?
Pretty much but not always. Also it's so much better when somebody makes a surprise appearance or return without it being leaked. Like the Rumble last year when Edge came back. One of my favorite moments in wrestling in a really long time. I try to avoid dirt sheets most of the time.

Reactions: GordonC and TBrown
One of the most vivid moments of my childhood being in attendance for Jerry Lawler v Austin Idol hair v hair match in a steel cage. I suggest watching a Youtube of the slow build to that angle and the actual match. That is how you do an angle...

That was great! The King got "posted" in that match and several other matches with Idol and Rich. Hurts to watch even to this day LOL!

The Terry Funk empty arena match was a classic too!

WWE never mentioned a single thing about KOR having a seizure. A person in the crowd posted a video and speculation ran wild. Ryan Satin simply said what people saw was a work.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N

Is that that the one where TR hid under the ring and they delivered multiple piledrivers and posted him?

The TR-Idol feuds in Memphis were good, too.

Edit: Just saw the clip below your "post." Ha Yes.

I don't watch anymore, but I'm sure there are some shoots from time to time.
Really don’t think they happen nearly as often as people think. I think there are times when things get stiff, but the big promotions aren’t going to tolerate a guy that just beats the crap out of people.

Is that that the one where TR hid under the ring and they delivered multiple piledrivers and posted him?

The TR-Idol feuds in Memphis were good, too.

Edit: Just saw the clip below your "post." Ha Yes.
The feuds in Knoxville between Ron Fuller and the Mongolian Stomper and Ron Fuller and Bob Armstrong were awesome.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
It's called "suspension of disbelief."

If the product is good, ie good story lines and good characters, it is surely easier to suspend disbelief. It would also help if the conflict presented actually looked like conflict. I’ve seen a few fights in my life. Never have I seen a group of people stand and wait for someone to jump on them. I also just do not buy a 90 pound girl beating up any sort of normal sized, athletic woman. High spot after high spot doesn’t make the product better. It only lessens the high spots.

It's just bland. But to be fair I think AEW is bland a lot of times to. But WWE just doesn't have very many "iconic" moments on it's weekly television anymore. I wish it could get back to that. I miss the fun.

They need to get back to the attitude era and stop being so PC and scared. Wrestling should feel bigger than life. Beyond real but somehow real.

Nowadays it's like watching any bar fight between just two random dudes.

If the product is good, ie good story lines and good characters, it is surely easier to suspend disbelief. It would also help if the conflict presented actually looked like conflict. I’ve seen a few fights in my life. Never have I seen a group of people stand and wait for someone to jump on them. I also just do not buy a 90 pound girl beating up any sort of normal sized, athletic woman. High spot after high spot doesn’t make the product better. It only lessens the high spots.
Agree 100%. There’s no worse spot in wrestling than guys gathered together on the floor to catch an opponent jumping off the turnbuckle. I also hate it when they kick out of more than 2 finishers or normalize finishing moves like Powerbombs, Suplexes, DDT into something unimportant as if it was an arm drag or something. The reason they have to do all the suicidal moves and goofy stipulations is they A) Don’t really enforce any rules and B) some guys think every match is a high spot fest and crowds get numb to big moves.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back