The worst part of this year for me

gr82batnvol

First, let me say, good game yesterday.

I know it’s hard to come off a season like last year but the thing for me that made last season so great is that it was fun.

This year, I would sum up our play by the word boring. It’s hard for me to pinpoint frustration over 1 thing. It just didn’t come together like we would have liked.

I hope next season is better.

I know it’s hard to come off a season like last year but the thing for me that made last season so great is that it was fun.

This year, I would sum up our play by the word boring. It’s hard for me to pinpoint frustration over 1 thing. It just didn’t come together like we would have liked.

that is the perfect word. The game yesterday was so drawn out from punts, penalties, injuries, and tv timeouts that it was boring. It seems all of our games have been that way.

It shows that Huepel has raised the bar. 5 years ago you a would have taken an 8 win season in a New York minute. Bright days are on the horizon.
Phenomenal point. When I was younger I remember I wanted Mike Leech when we first let Fulmer go. I wanted someone exciting. Not only did we get that with Heupel’s offense but we’ve had amazing seasons to pair with it.

Fans, old and new, fell in love with our offense last year and the previous year. Even during the losses we were high flying and exciting.

I can’t wait for the next decade with Heupel as our head coach. We’ve got some fun games/seasons ahead of us.

Last year's team had synergy - the sum total of the team was greater than just the sum of the individual parts. I think much of that was due to Hooker - a QB can make everyone look better and play better. This year’s team didn’t achieve that same level probably because Joe isn’t Hendon. Joe is a solid but he’s not close to Hendon in terms of seeing the game in live time and making quick decisions.

Hopefully Nico will have vision and decision making like Hendon…or Bryce Young.

If you expected anything better than 8-4 with Joe Milton as the QB you were delusional.

That has to be a hangover from last season. I can’t imagine sustaining the excitement while transitioning from the top offense to just pretty good. Loyal fandom is like a drug. You will never get the same high from sustained usage. It took a lot of years of doing without for last season to feel so miraculous. Even if we had continued with the top offense, it wouldn’t feel as good as last season.

That makes sense to me, at least. Bama fans were some of the best fans in football from 2009-2013. After that, they couldn’t keep up the positive vibes. Clemson, Ohio State, Florida.. You look back and you’ll see an unstoppable force of positivity become a bunch of strung out junkies.

The bright side for UT is we have a lot left in the tank after only one great season. We don’t need 5-10 years to reset like some other fan bases will need.

It shows that Huepel has raised the bar. 5 years ago you a would have taken an 8 win season in a New York minute. Bright days are on the horizon.
Exactly. Consider that Butch Jones maxed out at 8 regular season wins with a roster that included Josh Dobbs, Jauan Jennings, Alvin Kamara, Jalen Hurd, Josh Malone, Derek Barnett, and Cam Sutton.

There's no way our roster for 2023 is anywhere close to the talent level of those 2015/16 teams. We're missing almost an entire Junior class right now.

The only leader we had was Bru. Watch the Florida Post game, it hurt him. A lot of our players laughing and having a big time after a loss. Bru McCoy was my favorite player, he gave his All !
Agreed.
I see a lot of players on a lot of teams jumping around and dancing during the game.
I understand getting hyped up before the game but during the game just seems like expelling energy unnecessarily

The worst part for me was watching McCullough at safety for another year. Glad he's gone next year

I really think JH vanilla'ed down the offense this year w/ strong lean to rushing attack, knowing he couldn't get same type results from Milton as Hooker. I will give JH some credit. We went from top scoring offense and #1 passing offense in the country last year, to either #1 or #2 rushing attack in SEC this year...all while having a heavy rotation on the OL with injuries. My biggest frustration wasn't offense...it was still the constant achilies heel on D with not being able to get off the field on third down, along with way too many penalties (even w/o ref bad calls)...that may be some of what JH system delivers, but think also lack of discipline. Had some really bad legit drive stopping penalties this year, and couldn't overcome being behind the sticks w/ Milton @ QB.

Phenomenal point. When I was younger I remember I wanted Mike Leech when we first let Fulmer go. I wanted someone exciting. Not only did we get that with Heupel’s offense but we’ve had amazing seasons to pair with it.

Fans, old and new, fell in love with our offense last year and the previous year. Even during the losses we were high flying and exciting.

I can’t wait for the next decade with Heupel as our head coach. We’ve got some fun games/seasons ahead of us.
Well stated my friend

Reactions: Hairy Vols

Don't stop being a VFL, but maybe taking on some new hobbies/interests will alleviate the despair 🥱

Driving back from Charlotte, my son asked me about the season...

I said, I'd give it a "B-". Had we beaten UF, it would have been a solid "B+". Had we hung on to beat Bama- "A-".

Ultimately we lost 3 of our 4 games to teams that ended up in the top 10 of CFB. Not bad. The UF loss however....to a 5-7 team....is nearly inexcusable. Dress those UF players in Vandy, Kentucky, USCe, uniforms, we beat them by 20+. It's maddening.

Having said all this, a "B-" in a "dip year" waiting for Nico to develop isn't really too bad. Good times ahead.

You want to be competitive in the Big games. The Vols this year simply were not. That was the most disappointing thing imo. Vols threw to the TE's more yesterday than they had all year. That's been there all year and they just didn't do it enough. Headscratching conservative playcalling in those games was also a disappointment.

That has to be a hangover from last season. I can’t imagine sustaining the excitement while transitioning from the top offense to just pretty good. Loyal fandom is like a drug. You will never get the same high from sustained usage. It took a lot of years of doing without for last season to feel so miraculous. Even if we had continued with the top offense, it wouldn’t feel as good as last season.

That makes sense to me, at least. Bama fans were some of the best fans in football from 2009-2013. After that, they couldn’t keep up the positive vibes. Clemson, Ohio State, Florida.. You look back and you’ll see an unstoppable force of positivity become a bunch of strung out junkies.

The bright side for UT is we have a lot left in the tank after only one great season. We don’t need 5-10 years to reset like some other fan bases will need.

I saw an OSU fan today calling for Ryan Day to be fired because he lost to Mich 3 years in a row. They are so spoiled by the past 10-15 years of Mich being mediocre that they forgot it’s a rivalry. Dude was a young guy in his 20s.

I was like yeah, Fire the guy going 11-1 every year. Do it. I will love to watch OSU wander in the wilderness for awhile. Please do it.

VN Store

Back