The worst part of this year for me

I really think JH vanilla'ed down the offense this year w/ strong lean to rushing attack, knowing he couldn't get same type results from Milton as Hooker. I will give JH some credit. We went from top scoring offense and #1 passing offense in the country last year, to either #1 or #2 rushing attack in SEC this year...all while having a heavy rotation on the OL with injuries. My biggest frustration wasn't offense...it was still the constant achilies heel on D with not being able to get off the field on third down, along with way too many penalties (even w/o ref bad calls)...that may be some of what JH system delivers, but think also lack of discipline. Had some really bad legit drive stopping penalties this year, and couldn't overcome being behind the sticks w/ Milton @ QB.
My frustration was the penalties on the offense. That should have improved as the season went on, but it didn’t. That screams coaching and lack of accountability.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I stopped letting loses bother me years ago and this year has been rough with a fractured spine and cancer diagnosis. Now, other than a few moments of disappointment, it doesn’t matter to me at all. Life has a way of showing you what’s important. I record the games most of the time and watch them later. It is what it is.

Reactions: Teeman
Phenomenal point. When I was younger I remember I wanted Mike Leech when we first let Fulmer go. I wanted someone exciting. Not only did we get that with Heupel’s offense but we’ve had amazing seasons to pair with it.

Fans, old and new, fell in love with our offense last year and the previous year. Even during the losses we were high flying and exciting.

I can’t wait for the next decade with Heupel as our head coach. We’ve got some fun games/seasons ahead of us.
Agree. Another reason I think JH plays Nico more than just garbage time in bowl game is to put more Nico on tape. JH priority right now is selling the future vision w/ Nico...selling players on the team to stay...selling the close out of a really good class, and having a strong sales push with portal players, specifically on the OL. Think OL is our biggest worry right now that keeps us from being more relevant next year.

Reactions: Hairy Vols
My frustration was the penalties on the offense. That should have improved as the season went on, but it didn’t. That screams coaching and lack of accountability.
If I'm JH, maybe I'm hiring some analyst to help w/ penalties. This year, we were 126th out of 133 teams @ 68 yards per game (thought it would be more actually). Last year, there were only 12 teams worse than us, but Hooker/Hyatt and crew could get us out from behind the sticks. This many penalty yards isn't a good long term plan to compete in SEC. Those penalties stop drives and keep points off the scoreboard. Always going to get some bad calls and seems like we get more than our allotment of bad calls, but we still had way too many self inflicted pre-snap penalties.

First, let me say, good game yesterday.

I know it’s hard to come off a season like last year but the thing for me that made last season so great is that it was fun.

This year, I would sum up our play by the word boring. It’s hard for me to pinpoint frustration over 1 thing. It just didn’t come together like we would have liked.

I hope next season is better.
It's always fun when you win.

If I'm JH, maybe I'm hiring some analyst to help w/ penalties. This year, we were 126th out of 133 teams @ 68 yards per game (thought it would be more actually). Last year, there were only 12 teams worse than us, but Hooker/Hyatt and crew could get us out from behind the sticks. This many penalty yards isn't a good long term plan to compete in SEC. Those penalties stop drives and keep points off the scoreboard. Always going to get some bad calls and seems like we get more than our allotment of bad calls, but we still had way too many self inflicted pre-snap penalties.
Yeah and the talking heads liked to say it is because of the zone read and complexity of the offense but if we are giving away 68 yards per game that has to improve. And like you said, it is a real drive killer when you start with a 1st and 15 with a run-heavy offense.

It shows that Huepel has raised the bar. 5 years ago you a would have taken an 8 win season in a New York minute. Bright days are on the horizon.
Exactly. If we win our bowl game, then Heupel average wins per season is 9. There is room for improvement, but we haven't seen this in years.

Furthermore, our offensive performance is far superior than our past. Our offense averages 39.2 points per game since the start of the 2021 season.
One a side note, our defense gave up an average of 22 points per game this year, which is slightly below last year's average of 22.8 points per game.

The only leader we had was Bru. Watch the Florida Post game, it hurt him. A lot of our players laughing and having a big time after a loss. Bru McCoy was my favorite player, he gave his All !
Florida game was difference in a 10 win season. That game was brutal to sit through. Win that and show up in second half against Alabama it is a whole different year

It seemed like the team played with a lack of energy at times this year.

The two roughest games to watch where Georgia and Missouri as the team quit early on and I didn't watch the second half.

Florida was the most frustrating game and really the only loss we really should have won. The team did NOT quit against Florida, they just got beat by an inferior time.

Although I like the coaching staff, coaching was questionable at times this year. Not suggesting firing anyone, just pointing out that the coaches got outcoached at times (notably the Florida and Missouri games).

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I saw an OSU fan today calling for Ryan Day to be fired because he lost to Mich 3 years in a row. They are so spoiled by the past 10-15 years of Mich being mediocre that they forgot it’s a rivalry. Dude was a young guy in his 20s.

I was like yeah, Fire the guy going 11-1 every year. Do it. I will love to watch OSU wander in the wilderness for awhile. Please do it.

The problem is that Ohio State is so far better of a program than most of the teams on their schedule that this wouldn't happen. At worse, they may fall to 9-3. B1G is not that great outside of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. Iowa has no offense (but elite defense), Nebraska and Wisconsin should be better but they are both bad right now, Maryland has talent but can't do anything with it, and the rest of the B1G just doesn't have the players.

Now the new West Coast teams that are joining the B1G could make some noise. We will see.

The problem is that Ohio State is so far better of a program than most of the teams on their schedule that this wouldn't happen. At worse, they may fall to 9-3. B1G is not that great outside of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. Iowa has no offense (but elite defense), Nebraska and Wisconsin should be better but they are both bad right now, Maryland has talent but can't do anything with it, and the rest of the B1G just doesn't have the players.

Now the new West Coast teams that are joining the B1G could make some noise. We will see.

Yeah but a bad coach can squander top talent much easier than you’d think. See Texas AM.

Hell… see Butch Jones 2015-2016

Yeah but a bad coach can squander top talent much easier than you’d think. See Texas AM.

Agree but over half of the teams in the B1G are literally UK/Vandy level right now and I just don't see them beating Ohio State. Ohio State wins by simply walking on the field.

Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Michigan State (they can be good, they are just down now due to the scandals). I literally can't see any of those teams beating Ohio State, even a down Ohio State.

Nebraska and Wisconsin belong in that list right now as well but both have the potential (along with Michigan State) to get out of it.

Iowa has 0 offense. I don't understand why they can't score points. Their defense is elite. They would NOT be 10-2 in most leagues.

The other teams are good and would be a challenge for Ohio State.

This year is what I expected. We lost several NFL drafted players on offense (QB and WR). That combination last year is why the offense clicked. Folks want to blame everything on Milton but truth is we did not have the "combination at both positions" we had last year and we had a banged up offensive line. We were never going to have the scoring output. Unless we have some great WR's still on the team or a lot of improvement in that area, next year, regardless of who is the QB will be the same. You need the combination to score at will.

So my question for all of you that were spoiled by the exciting score at will style of play where defense does not have to exist and can be mediocre.

Would you rather have the following -

- An incredible defense that can stop other teams with an offense that can score enough points but not a lot and be 12-0.

OR

- An offense that can score at will, a so so defense and be in the position that you must out score other teams leading to a 11-2 year because at some point you are going to face a defense like UGA or Bama that stops your offense yet is able to score. (i.e. 2022 but the teams were UGA and South Carolina and we were lucky that Bama couldn't stop us).

Would you be so bored with the first that you would put that as a bad season because the offense wasn't the best of the best of the best?

UGA and Bama win year after year because of their defense. Same is true for those boring B1G teams. Until our defense becomes elite, we may get close, but we will not be able to win it all.

First, let me say, good game yesterday.

I know it’s hard to come off a season like last year but the thing for me that made last season so great is that it was fun.

This year, I would sum up our play by the word boring. It’s hard for me to pinpoint frustration over 1 thing. It just didn’t come together like we would have liked.

I hope next season is better.
its easy to think that... but go back and watch the Iowa game (who has won 9 games somehow) and you'll see we are still entertaining

Reactions: volfan102455
its easy to think that... but go back and watch the Iowa game (who has won 9 games somehow) and you'll see we are still entertaining

I was entertained with the games as well. I don't get the boring comments - but I could watch a 3-0 game and be enthused with the defense. Sacks are just as exciting to me. lol

My biggest disappointment this year was going back to losing to all 3 of our big rivals. That doesn't need to happen anymore.

VN Store

Back