The Woke Olympics

A lot is not all and I really don't care anything about her other than she quit. The current generation is soft and they don't represent previous generations at all.

I definitely agree with you that my generation and younger is very soft. But I think all the way up to around 45-50 is pretty bad. This didn't start with millennials.

Taken from a friend's post elsewhere:

Elena Mukhina, the 1978 women's gymnastics World Champion, broke her leg and was not permitted the appropriate time to heal. Soviet gymnastics coaches pressured doctors to remove her cast early so she could start training for the 1980 Olympics.

She protested heavily, as she knew her leg was not properly healed and would not withstand the grueling training regimen typical of her sport. Trainers and coaches dismissed her concerns and forced her to continue her training.

While practicing the Thomas Salto (since banned for being so dangerous), she underrotated due to her newly weakened leg, and she landed on her chin. She broke her neck, which rendered her quadraplegic for the rest of her life. She was 20 years old at the time, and died at 46.

Reports from Tokyo are that Simone Biles does not trust her own mind and body right now. Given the high level of difficulty (and danger) of the skills she performs, it is asking A LOT to expect her to continue to perform before that self-trust is restored. By pulling out of the team finals, she is listening to her body and her mind and giving herself enough time to heal so she can continue being the badass Queen she was meant to be.

Simone is doing what Elena was not permitted to do- be a voice for her own body and mental health. Anybody who would malign Simone for pulling out of the team final (and daring them to settle for the silver medal) should consider how they'd feel if, instead of reading the headline "Simone Biles pulls out of team final", they were greeted with "Simone Biles paralyzed during dismount."

And if you asked the rest of Team USA if they'd rather have a healthy Simone Biles or a gold medal, you know damn well what they'd answer, and they wouldn't have to think for a second.

She's taking a page out of some of our posters hero LeBron. Didn't he quit this year when he was losing?

Idk. Dont keep up with NBA. Sounds probable.

There is an attempt to tell us how mentally strong someone is by there willingness to show how mentally weak they are.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
She gave up and quit didn't she?

She did but she is still a great athlete and arguably the greatest to compete in her sport. I personally wouldn’t consider that soft. She has contended and won at the highest level with the best in the world. Hell if she claims she is dealing with mental issues then maybe something is going on. I realize this is not the same thing but did you think Michael Jordan was soft when he quit on the bulls and retired in his prime back in 1993? He was mentally exhausted back then and dealing with stressful stuff.

Last edited:
She did but she is still a great athlete and arguably the greatest to compete in her sport. I personally wouldn’t consider that soft. She has contended and won at the highest level with the best in the world. Hell if she claims she is dealing with mental issues then there may something going on. I realize this is not the same thing but did you think Michael Jordan was soft when he quit on the bulls and retired in his prime back in 1993. He was mentally exhausted back then and dealing with stressful stuff.

If you haven't read between the lines, there's a not-so-covert discussion going on of how athletes exist only for our entertainment and we - not them - decide when they're done. Anything short of a total sacrifice of their bodies is completely unacceptable.

This thread is a wonderful exhibit of why there is a stigma against talking care of one's mental health in this country.

Yes it is because if I had quit my job early after being on call 24/7 for over 20 years I wouldn't have learned the things I did that made me great at my job. There are a lot of things that cause people stress and once you learn to live with them it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Reactions: AM64 and Ttucke11
If you haven't read between the lines, there's a not-so-covert discussion going on of how athletes exist only for our entertainment and we - not them - decide when they're done. Anything short of a total sacrifice of their bodies is completely unacceptable.

Personally, I really don't care. But I think you're missing the point for a lot of people. She's phenomenal and congrats to all the medals she won the U.S. The problem is if she was having mental health issues then step away before the Olympics so you do not hinder your teammates in crunch time and take away a spot from one of the other young women who've worked their entire lives to make it. Instead, she steps away at the first sign of struggle that we have seen out of her after she talked so much big game about being the GOAT. This left her teammates in a bind in the biggest stage of their careers.

I wonder what the conversation would be like right now had she chosen to "push through" and cost her team from medaling at all.

Some people exist to find the cloud within every silver lining.

Reactions: NashVol11
Personally, I really don't care. But I think you're missing the point for a lot of people. She's phenomenal and congrats to all the medals she won the U.S. The problem is if she was having mental health issues then step away before the Olympics so you do not hinder your teammates in crunch time and take away a spot from one of the other young women who've worked their entire lives to make it. Instead, she steps away at the first sign of struggle that we have seen out of her after she talked so much big game about being the GOAT. This left her teammates in a bind in the biggest stage of their careers.

The reality is nobody would really GAF if she had never won anything.

I know no active posters on VN have ever come close to sniffing an iota of the success Biles has had in her life, so suffice to say none of us know what kind of pressure she's under, let alone have any insight into her mental state. Not to mention that you can look at the history of kids and teenagers that gained fame and notoriety and see that a substantial chunk of them faced some serious mental issues, mainly due to gaining the fame and everything that comes with it at such a young age.

I wonder what the conversation would be like right now had she chosen to "push through" and cost her team from medaling at all.

Some people exist to find the cloud within every silver lining.
I doubt it would be a conversation at all. Nobody would question her staying in, even if she had a bad night.

"Coach, why didn't you pull Simone Biles" is a question that wouldn't be asked if she wasn't physically injured.

I see what she's getting at though. Not knowing where you are in the air in the middle of not just a routine, but her routine would be scary.

I know no active posters on VN have ever come close to sniffing an iota of the success Biles has had in her life, so suffice to say none of us know what kind of pressure she's under, let alone have any insight into her mental state. Not to mention that you can look at the history of kids and teenagers that gained fame and notoriety and see that a substantial chunk of them faced some serious mental issues, mainly due to gaining the fame and everything that comes with it at such a young age.
Whaaaa. The previous olympic teams were so much weaker and had less "mental" pressure put on them whaaaaa

Reactions: Carl Pickens

VN Store

Back