The Witcher (Netflix)

YouTube a channel called rawrist. It has a pretty good video explaining the books and how it differs from the games.

I understand how witchers and mages don't age but I'm trying to figure out how the hell Jaskier doesn't age. He's just a regular dude isn't he? Lol

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
4 episodes in. You are kinda on your own with regard to timeline and backstory.

Digging the story so far. Not sure why they billed it in comparison to Game of Thrones other than the same audiences would watch. Very different vibe.

I understand how witchers and mages don't age but I'm trying to figure out how the hell Jaskier doesn't age. He's just a regular dude isn't he? Lol

He’s about 30-35 in the books. Geralt and Yennifer are nearing 100 by the time he meets them, but they have serious mutations.

The confusing thing is that the series' story for Yennifer spans a human lifetime. She goes to a ball where the old king Foltest who brings his armies south at the end of the season isn't even a teenager yet.

What we see for Geralt is probably just about 30-40 years because Renfri from episode one says Calanthe has just won her first battle. Then we see Calanthe as Ciri's grandmother after a few decades of rule. When he meets the bard the Butcher of Blaviken story is an old one and Geralt is clearly tired of it.

Then Ciri's story is very short compared to those. A few weeks of being on the run.

The confusion with ages and events is part of the books. No one is really who they seem. People create elaborate lies to further their goals, erase historical events at their whimsy, and make superstition the cornerstone of everything they do.

That is why the originals work as detective stories. The fog Geralt has to work through to figure anything out is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Episode One was confusing for me. Some dialog I had no clue wtf was even said or talked about and this is not a show easily watched while doing other things without Missing things. I have played Witcher 1 but only a ways into it (haven't played it in a while and my last save was after going to some city and getting thrown in jail, getting my stuff back and doing a few other quests). I own the other two but want to finish in order. The little I have played at least gave me some familiarity with names I saw, but I am not sure that it really helped me understand anything. I have not read any of the books.
I actually didn't mind episode 2, but it definitely picked up in 3. I am up to episode 7 and really enjoy it. I think it was episode 2 that I figured out that we were jumping timelines across scenes, which can get confusing. Thankfully it seems to be distinct timelines you go back and forth betwen, so I now have a better grasp on when the scenes are set. In other words, it is good that we are not randomly jumping to different periods but instead appear to have multiple timelines that each are progressing linearly.
Agreed. I was sober and couldn’t understand a damn thing that was going on.

2 episodes in.

The first episode was absolutely terrific. It very much had the perfect feel to it. Whoever choreographed the fight scenes needs to choreograph all fight scenes in all forms of TV/Movies from now on.

Frankly, the second episode sucked. It was all over the place, the attempt to slide a comic relief character in didn’t match the vibe of the show at all. Yennifer’s origin story was poorly executed, Ciri’s story was ok but the dwarf murdering the lady who abused him at the end seemed like a random, unnecessary turn. Even Geralts story with the Elves was cheesy and poorly done.

Luckily 2 is by far the lowest rated of the series, so hopefully it was just a stumble.
Everything in episode two happens in the books. They're really worth reading.

Man I’m really bummed this is over already and it will be a solid year before we get another. Mandalorian and Witcher have been the two current shows I’m watching, and Witcher is miles better than Mandalorian.

Man I’m really bummed this is over already and it will be a solid year before we get another. Mandalorian and Witcher have been the two current shows I’m watching, and Witcher is miles better than Mandalorian.

The tone was uneven because of trying to put in too many of the iconic stories in season 1. A lot of these would require a much bigger budget and more time to do properly. There was almost no way the gold dragon story was not going to get a little campy.

I think season two could be great if they focus on smaller stories, improve the script writing and special effects, and let any of the big stories play out over several episodes.

Last edited:
The tone was uneven because of trying to put in too many of the iconic stories in season 1. A lot of these would require a much bigger budget and more time to do properly. There was almost no way the gold dragon story was going to get a little campy.

I think season two could be great if they focus on smaller stories, improve the script writing and special effects, and let any of the big stories play out over several episodes.
The dragon story is one of my favorites in the books and I don't think it got the telling it deserved in the show, unfortunately.

Maybe it's because I've not read the books and not sure what's going on.. But I only made it through 2 episodes before quitting.

2 episodes in and this feels a lot more like Sorbo's Hercules than GOT

It bounces back and forth between low-budget cheesiness and epic GoT-style scenes. Ep 8 was awesome and it looked most of the season's budget went towards that.

Reactions: Rifleman
I think this show has a ton of potential, especially with so many books to adapt. My concern is Netflix randomly dropping the show after 2-3 seasons, even if it's successful. I bet if they do and it's popular enough, another streaming service will pick it up.

I think this show has a ton of potential, especially with so many books to adapt. My concern is Netflix randomly dropping the show after 2-3 seasons, even if it's successful. I bet if they do and it's popular enough, another streaming service will pick it up.

The show runner said next season will be more linear in the story telling, so that’s good news. Hopefully they cast a good Vesimir.

Reactions: Aesius
The show runner said next season will be more linear in the story telling, so that’s good news. Hopefully they cast a good Vesimir.

That will help! They really should have subtitled the time jumps. If you aren't paying very close attention to the show someone could easily get confused.

I've watched 2 episodes and yeah they nailed the feeling of the Witcher so far. I dig it.

CAvill is just stiff. i didn't know anything about anything going in, but once you figured out what htey were doing with the story, it was pretty good.

i don't htink it's as good as some of you are protraying.....but there's a foundation there that could be good later on. i'll probably watch season 2.

VN Store

Back