The Weightlifters Thread

Jump on an elliptical and go as fast as you can for as long as you can. I'm sure you've seen them but studies have shown that intense bouts are just as effective as longer runs.

I'd rather kickbox for rounds. 😂😂😂😂 I hate that machine but it does work. I wear a weighted vest when I'm on it. And I pace myself.

Depending on the weather and my workout for the day I do the following personally: Sprints, Kickboxing 3-5 minutes on the bag, boxing for rounds on the bag with heavy gloves, reaction ball drills, tire flips, stair master(body builders best friend), exercise bike, and elliptical(when my legs are flat out shot).

I have weeks when I strictly do 1-3 types and other weeks where I'm hardly doing it. Depends on what I've got going on.

I'd rather kickbox for rounds. 😂😂😂😂 I hate that machine but it does work. I wear a weighted vest when I'm on it. And I pace myself.

Depending on the weather and my workout for the day I do the following personally: Sprints, Kickboxing 3-5 minutes on the bag, boxing for rounds on the bag with heavy gloves, reaction ball drills, tire flips, stair master(body builders best friend), exercise bike, and elliptical(when my legs are flat out shot).

I have weeks when I strictly do 1-3 types and other weeks where I'm hardly doing it. Depends on what I've got going on.

That's pretty intense. I like the mix up.
I'm trying to bulk now I need to improve all my lifts. Once I get where I want I'll cut and more cardio. Might have to work in some of that.

That's pretty intense. I like the mix up.
I'm trying to bulk now I need to improve all my lifts. Once I get where I want I'll cut and more cardio. Might have to work in some of that.

I'm only kickboxing, boxing, and doing the stair master as of right now. It's cold and I'm just trying to make sure I stay at a certain weight range since I've put on 20lbs this Winter.

ahh hah makes way more sense now. Man I wish I could do everything I want but my body has taken a beating in the last year and half. Only 24 smh

Does anyone not get sore? I know it might be an odd question but I never get sore once I start working out. The first day or two back I'll get a little sore but after that nothing. I'll feel tired in the muscles I worked but never sore no matter how hard or heavy I go I just never get sore for whatever reason. Not complaining or anything just wondering if anyone has similar experiences.

Does anyone not get sore? I know it might be an odd question but I never get sore once I start working out. The first day or two back I'll get a little sore but after that nothing. I'll feel tired in the muscles I worked but never sore no matter how hard or heavy I go I just never get sore for whatever reason. Not complaining or anything just wondering if anyone has similar experiences.

You may want to change up your work out and try some movements your body hasn't grown accustomed to. For example if you typically do squats as your primary leg work try some lunges with weight. If you aren't getting a little sore you haven't broken down that muscle group and without breaking it down its hard to grow. JM2CW

Go find a good workout partner(another beast). You call the exercise/exercises for one set and let them do the next. Keep switching up until failure. I did that on Chest day(Monday) and I'm still sore today. I could barely move my chest muscles yesterday. I don't even know how many sets/reps we did on the bench. I do know we did big drop sets and supersets with about a 30% incline with the Dumbbells. Did up top machine flys, floor presses, and upper/lower cable crossovers. We got really crazy but I got a feeling we'll do it again next week. Lol

I try to make my sprints last one mile. Got a tip from a friend of mine. She's got quite a few followers on IG(181K). Has helped me out a whole lot.

Damn, that's a long sprint!

When I do sprints, I'm talking 40m or 100m. I think that's ideal for bodybuilders. We want to look like Donovan Bailey, not Roger Bannister.

That being said, it's not the best for cardio, so I do actually run a mile in my interval training, and I do that much more often than I do my sprint workout. My interval workout typically looks like this:

- Run fast mile
- Walk (brisk) progressive incline for 4 minutes
- Run steep incline for 2-3 minutes
- Walk steeper progressive incline (maxing it out) and come back down (10 minutes)
- Run as fast as treadmill will go for 2-4 minutes, depending on how I feel

I only get sore when I do something new. As I understand it, soreness is not necessarily a sign of a good workout, nor does a lack of soreness mean you aren't getting a good workout.

As long as your progressing in weight and/or reps is the most important thing.

I've started a new routine last month doing 5x5. And I've already added 20lbs to all my lifts and can tell a difference in physique. So I'm progressing well. No matter what routine I'm using after the first week I just don't get sore. Didn't know if that was a common thing or not.

What does everyone do for cardio? I mix it up a lot personally but want to hear from everyone else.

Everyday, Park my car a mile away from the office and walk to and from the car.

And for variety, usually my either,
A) Jump rope 12 minutes.
B) 6 rounds of shadow boxing
C) 12 20 yard sprints b/w 4 60 yard striders

Nick, been wanting to ask you. Do you bulk with RPT?

Been wanting to switch it up a bit, but I'm leaning towards an Upper/Lower 4 day split.

Hey chavis, Merry Christmas

I don't bulk using RPT. I used to use a full body routine, 2 sets per exercise, 3 x per week, and that worked pretty well. I then increased it to 3 sets per exercise for a while.

My most recent bulking cycle was partially the 3 sets per exercise, full body routine. Then, I began to do a 4 day split, with periodized volume:

Week 1: 2 sets
Week 2: 3 sets
Week 3: 4 sets
Week 4: 4 sets + drop set
Week 5: Deload

This is in line with what Mike Isratel puts out there.

This cycle (just began last week) I am trying to not get too clever, since I usually make my own routines, and I am following Dr. Brad Schoenfeld's MAX Muscle Plan to the letter. Sometimes, I think I try to outsmart myself by reading the research and the experts, and probably just need shut my brain down, and follow an expert's routine.

Stoked got a new polar watch with a chest HR monitor. It'll be nice to see an accurate account of cals burned at the gym and other activities.

VN Store

Back