The Weightlifters Thread

OK, this is a huge and dated (on the front end at least) thread so apologies for bringing up something probably already covered somewhere in here.

I've always been pretty iffy on claims made by any supplement makers, the vested interest is obvious. What, if indeed anything IYO, is demonstrably beneficial beyond basic good nutrition?

OK, this is a huge and dated (on the front end at least) thread so apologies for bringing up something probably already covered somewhere in here.

I've always been pretty iffy on claims made by any supplement makers, the vested interest is obvious. What, if indeed anything IYO, is demonstrably beneficial beyond basic good nutrition?

BCAAs are essential and needed for helping with muscle repair. I supplement my protein needs as well with Whey Isolate. Reason why is because I want to make sure I get my daily requirements. I'm busy so sometimes I miss a meal and it helps to keep me on track.

I also take Fish Oil, Glutamine and Glucosamine.

Ramping sets?

It's supposed to build up to your five set max. Start with 30% then 70, 80, 90 then 100. And try to add weight every week. My legs are feeling it the most. I walk close to 6 flights of stairs at work everyday, so my legs are dead.

Not really. BCAAs are just a money making product. Not a gigantic upside to taking them. It also depends what kind of training you are doing.

The biggest thing is protein intake. If you can't get a good amount from diet alone, it's definitely beneficial to supplement. Also, others may disagree, but from what I've seen creatine had consistently shown benefit in multiple studies.

It's supposed to build up to your five set max. Start with 30% then 70, 80, 90 then 100. And try to add weight every week. My legs are feeling it the most. I walk close to 6 flights of stairs at work everyday, so my legs are dead.

Madcow? Pretty much the same.

What are your lifts?

Madcow? Pretty much the same.

What are your lifts?

250 squat
230 deadlift
210 bench
125 overhead

I haven't steadily gone to the gym in about a year and even then I never really lifted. Manly worked on isolation exercises. Plus I was always scared to go heavy since I always worked out alone. Once I started pushing myself my numbers really went up.

Not really. BCAAs are just a money making product. Not a gigantic upside to taking them. It also depends what kind of training you are doing.

I for one feel great on when I take my BCAAs. I can tell when I don't take them too. Test boosters are hilariously trash. Everyone I know who's taken one says they are trash. BCAAs are essential though. My muscles feel great on them.

Yeah, and that is my thing too, but I like to train like like the past greats did. Bulking and cutting is too extreme these days, particularly for someone like me who doesn't compete.

If Nick is competing, he likely does heavy growth/bulking and then lots of trimming. I tend to have a balanced mix all the time.

I think part of why classic body builders look different is they trained lean all the time. I like the classic look more, even if I did compete.

Depending on what my tiny frame will carry, I'd like to land at 175-180 & 7-8% body fat

Breakerboy will tell you I'm always cutting :) I try to keep lean, between 8-12%. Today ends my cut (9%) and I'll add around 12 pounds over the next 6 months. I gained a pound per week over the summer, but think I will slow that down, to minimize fat gain

Reactions: 1 person

Creatine monohydrate
Vitamin D - testosterone, since most of us are D deficient
Magnesium- most bodybuilders are deficient

Examine.com is trustworthy for all things supplement

Depending on what my tiny frame will carry, I'd like to land at 175-180 & 7-8% body fat

Breakerboy will tell you I'm always cutting :) I try to keep lean, between 8-12%. Today ends my cut (9%) and I'll add around 12 pounds over the next 6 months. I gained a pound per week over the summer, but think I will slow that down, to minimize fat gain

Dude you cut every 6 weeks. 😂😂😂😂 Meanwhile I'm at 12-14% right now and eating good. I added 20lbs in 4 weeks this year by eating more but I ate clean too. Helped me keep some abs this year.

Dude you cut every 6 weeks. 😂😂😂😂 Meanwhile I'm at 12-14% right now and eating good. I added 20lbs in 4 weeks this year by eating more but I ate clean too. Helped me keep some abs this year.

I've cut 3 times, in exactly 2 years, to be fair :)

Two bulks ago, I went slow, but used fasting. Last time, I gained fast, with no fasting. This time, I'll go medium speed with no fasting.

I wonder how much being 35 years old accounts for it. I've missed my golden training window, but do everything in my power to get things that I can control correct

If you're serious I'm getting into online training. If you are serious and want to be held accountable I'll let you try my program out for free. 90 days of nutrition and workout regimen.

Yeah I'll do it. My walking boot is supposed to come off next week. I hope you're a macro kind of guy.

What does everyone do for cardio? I mix it up a lot personally but want to hear from everyone else.

Jump on an elliptical and go as fast as you can for as long as you can. I'm sure you've seen them but studies have shown that intense bouts are just as effective as longer runs.

I do more conditioning type stuff or walk. No traidional cardio.

KB Swings
Farmers Carries
Burpees
Jump Rope/Double Unders
Row machine

All short and intense.

Jump on an elliptical and go as fast as you can for as long as you can. I'm sure you've seen them but studies have shown that intense bouts are just as effective as longer runs.

You talking about HIIT? You're supposed to mix it up with hitt compared to liss/miss. 45 sec intervals 15 off.

VN Store

Back