The Weekly/BiWeekly School Shooting Thread

lol.....wrong again
The Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 (MHSA) was United States legislation signed by President Jimmy Carter which provided grants to community mental health centers. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan and the U.S. Congress repealed most of the law.[1] The MHSA was considered landmark legislation in mental health care policy.
The law followed the 1978 Report of the President's Commission on Mental Health, which made recommendations for improving mental health care in the United States.
The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, signed by President Ronald Reagan on August 13, 1981, repealed most of the MHSA.

Carter took appropriate steps to address the problem, Reagan threw it all out...basically shut them down and released the patients.

I can believe this. I remember when Knoxville had a mental health facility called Eastern State (I think) that was off of Northshore drive. It was a large campus with controlled access and a full perimeter fence around several acres. I vaguely recall when it was shutdown and how hundreds of these people were going to be just released onto the streets. I didn't understand it then, and I think we need to bring these places back.

Have kids walking the halls openly carrying. That will fix it.

-utvolpj.......and every other gun nut

But yes, it's a damn shame.......as a nation, we are insane.
-luther
What's the answer to this one Luther? What would have stopped this?

Let's start with enforcing gun laws on the books, then we can further the discussion. More gun laws are useless until we begin to enforce the ones we already have

ERsZ9g.gif

I can believe this. I remember when Knoxville had a mental health facility called Eastern State (I think) that was off of Northshore drive. It was a large campus with controlled access and a full perimeter fence around several acres. I vaguely recall when it was shutdown and how hundreds of these people were going to be just released onto the streets. I didn't understand it then, and I think we need to bring these places back.

It is a great place to jog/walk. 2.5 mile trail around the perimeter.

wouldn't you take them into custody before you announce charges?

From the Fox News article, because you know, CNN....
"We would have liked to have been given a bit of advance notice that a warrant was coming and had set up on them or done something electronically," he said. "It is what it is, and we’re going to find them."

Sounds like mistakes were made.

So I am guessing the Kenosha DA would approve of the way the victims handled their self defense....

the fact that they were not armed notwithstanding. At least they waited until they were shot before trying to do anything.

Reactions: 508mikey
What's the answer to this one Luther? What would have stopped this?

Let's start with enforcing gun laws on the books, then we can further the discussion. More gun laws are useless until we begin to enforce the ones we already have
The parents had multiple opportunities to stop it. They failed at every level. That's why they have rightfully been charged. It seems the school system did pretty much everything they should have done. Hats off to them.

The parents had multiple opportunities to stop it. They failed at every level. That's why they have rightfully been charged. It seems the school system did pretty much everything they should have done. Hats off to them.
Except the part where they think a student is being a total creepo messing with guns but they don't search his bag? If only he had made finger guns in class, they would have really brought the zero tolerance hammer down on him.

Except the part where they think a student is being a total creepo messing with guns but they don't search his bag? If only he had made finger guns in class, they would have really brought the zero tolerance hammer down on him.
They should have asked the parents to search the bookbag. A school cannot search a student's property without reasonable suspicion. The nuts who are chomping at the bit to sue a school for overstepping their boundaries and infringing on the rights of the individual have created this reluctance to do what always seems warranted in hindsight.

Reactions: GordonC and acd4476
They should have asked the parents to search the bookbag. A school cannot search a student's property without reasonable suspicion. The nuts who are chomping at the bit to sue a school for overstepping their boundaries and infringing on the rights of the individual have created this reluctance to do what always seems warranted in hindsight.
This. So many parents are an issue. So many "know" more than the teacher. Its sad. Don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that. Both my parents were teachers and had many disrespectful parents and the child wasn't far behind. Moms text to her son about not being upset but needs to not get caught is everything you need to know about how this young man was being raised.

Reactions: GordonC

Valid post.

These days unfortunately just can't be too careful.

That was the answer to the other portion. Who emptied the mental institutions
Got it now... although I have always been under the impression that there was a big legislative push starting in the late 70s to shut down/defund mental health facilities. Wasn't aware of any court action that caused it. Not something I've read up on though.

Got it now... although I have always been under the impression that there was a big legislative push starting in the late 70s to shut down/defund mental health facilities. Wasn't aware of any court action that caused it. Not something I've read up on though.

The courts stated you could no longer hold people against their will except for in extreme circumstances.

The charges of involuntary manslaughter sounds warranted in this situation. At the same time it sounds like the school officials should have taken additional action…..so the parents (one or both) will spend some time in jail and the taxpayers will pay out significantly to the victims and their families.

I agree with you, would you agree there's nothing a law would have done here?

You are joking with this post right?
Got caught searching from ammo online, his drawing, the instagram post, and Ive read there was more. 99% of the time im against the schol searching, but this was 100% reasonable suspicion. Dont pass the buck on this one, the school ****ed up

VN Store

Back