The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

They just released it on Firestick I'm doing the 7 day trial for 5 bucks a month I'll probably keep it but honestly I don't see alot that I would watch that I don't already get on Philo...shows I watch like What On Earth, Mysteries of the Abandoned, and Unearthed seem to be a season behind...for 20 bucks Philo is my fave cord cutting app

Philo is great. Especially to keep the wife happy with Hallmark. Plus I can keep keep watching those brothers dig more holes on Oak Island.

I'm thinking about switching from YTTV (which I like) to Sling to save a bit per month. Right now I'm thinking about getting the Sling orange package and adding the sports extra add-on.

I haven't looked into it too much in depth, but I think the total would be about $40 (before tax)). My bill the last month with YTTV is around $71, so this would save a bit.

Of course there are tradeoffs. Looks like with the Sling Orange package, you can only stream on one screen/device at a time. Not terrible for me, but I would like to be able to stream on up to 2-3 (if not more) devices/screens concurrently. Also, I feel like the apps for YTTV are pretty solid (on Android, my iPad, a Roku, and a fire tv stick), so hopefully the Sling apps are just as solid
I've tried several. YTTV is the best imo.

Went ahead and subscribed to Discovery+ ($4.99 tier) after dropping the WWE Network.
I'm gonna keep it too...usually I make myself get rid of something if I add another service but its 5 bucks..the Lincoln deathbed photo investigation was intriguing and I'm enjoying the Race Across The World where pairs have to get from London to Singapore with cash only...they start out with the cost of a one way airline ticket...they can't fly, use their own phone, or the internet Race Across the World (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb

Whats the best internet for Knoxville (halls)? I have TDS for both TV & internet, but they have jacked there price way up. Looking for a good internet & just streaming some stuff

Whats the best internet for Knoxville (halls)? I have TDS for both TV & internet, but they have jacked there price way up. Looking for a good internet & just streaming some stuff
Not sure how many devices you use but the wife and I signed up for Visible cell service because our only option is DSL or satellite...35 a month and we get unlimited everything including mobile hotspot...we can each use it for one thing at a time.. I've never had issue with buffering and I used over 200gbs last month

What are your options? You should probably start there.

Looks like my options are comcast or xfinity. ATT&T doesn’t offer internet, but they do offer tv lol

For those still using Firestick, this is an invaluable resource for supercharging and jailbreaking your device. I'm a Roku guy but Troypoint has great tips and tricks, plus guides for installing and maintaining Kodi.

Do It Yourself Tech Projects For Home & Small Business

Speaking of Kodi, last summer I bought a Hisense QLED for the porch and was pleasantly surprised to find it had Kodi pre-installed on Android TV. It works better than I expected, but not as good as my Android box.

Hulu and Fox Sports Southwest are not playing well together. This is annoying since hockey is in full swing. When baseball season rolls around, I am going to have to rethink things.

Last edited:
Hulu and Fox Sports Southwest are not playing well together. This is annoying since hockey is in full swing. When baseball season rolls around, I am going to have to rethink things.

I wonder what's going to happen with the Fox Sports directional channels as they are about to change names from Fox Sports to Bally Sports in regards to current cable/sat and streaming deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what's going to happen with the Fox Sports directional channels as they are about to change names from Fox Sports to Bally Sports in regards to current cable/sat and streaming deals.
The plan I’ve read is that they’re creating their own streaming service. I think ATT is the last streaming deal they’ve got left.

I wish there was a way to stream the local channels live without one of the main streaming services. I’ve tried some expensive antennas but no dice. I think the terrain around the house is the problem.

We had YouTube TV but it’s gotten so expensive, we decided to cut it and instead picked up the Disney bundle with no-add Hulu. Overall happy with it. I’d like to add Sling when football gears back up, but always brings me back to needing local channels live.

I wish there was a way to stream the local channels live without one of the main streaming services. I’ve tried some expensive antennas but no dice. I think the terrain around the house is the problem.

We had YouTube TV but it’s gotten so expensive, we decided to cut it and instead picked up the Disney bundle with no-add Hulu. Overall happy with it. I’d like to add Sling when football gears back up, but always brings me back to needing local channels live.
We had a lot of problems with Sling for live sports - freezes and pixelation. It hasn’t been a real problem over the last few years of UT football, but if we ever get good again... 🤪

Reactions: 1 in 102 455
Question for those that have the capability do you use the voice search with your tv/roku/fire remotes?

I did it one time and that was enough feeling like a idiot to ever use it again.

Same goes for those Alexa & siri devices.

Question for you caglemtn. How do you watch st. louis cards games? I've had bellsouth/att dsl for the last 16 years. My max download speed was 2M. Not good enough to stream on my best day. I've always used satellite tv with a sports package but fox sports midwest is always blacked out. Right now they are installing fiber in my neighborhood so I'm looking for options. I'm primarily only interested on days Dakota Hudson pitches. So I've probably got until September to figure it out unless his rehab is ahead of schedule.

Question for you caglemtn. How do you watch st. louis cards games? I've had bellsouth/att dsl for the last 16 years. My max download speed was 2M. Not good enough to stream on my best day. I've always used satellite tv with a sports package but fox sports midwest is always blacked out. Right now they are installing fiber in my neighborhood so I'm looking for options. I'm primarily only interested on days Dakota Hudson pitches. So I've probably got until September to figure it out unless his rehab is ahead of schedule.
Well I've never went out of my way to try. I have DirecTV and only get Fox Sports South and Southeast and Fox Tennessee for Predators games.

I'd assume I would get all the regional sports nets if I paid extra for the sports pack.

VN Store

Back