The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Dish and SlingTV are dropping regional Fox Sports coverage (so no Grizz or Preds). Looks like I'll be looking around again

Last edited:
Extremely pissed over this!!
Its a game changer for sure. After trying pretty much every freakin streaming service, Sling was the best overall for me. Dropping regional FS channels is a big negative though.

At the end of the day, none of them are perfect, its about finding balance with what you "need" vs. what you "want." DTVNow was awesome when they first started. Now, they're terrible (AT&T doesn't give a f*** about streaming customers). Hulu is good, but I NEED Nick Jr. The biggest drawback with Fubu is no ESPN (but I have ESPN+ so maybe that negates it)

So, can somebody verify - Sling Blue with "Sports Extra" doesn't have SECN? That's how it appears to me after signing up and their website is no help.
Also, Sling Orange has SECN, but, to get ESPNU, I have to addon ESPN+ for and extra 5$/mth? This is getting crazy. For ten dollars more I can go Youtube TV and get channels I might actually watch. But, I am trying to keep my monthly bill down.

So, it appears that I do get ESPNU, although Sling doesn't list the current ESPNU programming as available in its guide. No guarantee that it will show our first game.
I used to like Sling when I used to subscribe. Now, not so much.

So, can somebody verify - Sling Blue with "Sports Extra" doesn't have SECN? That's how it appears to me after signing up and their website is no help.
Also, Sling Orange has SECN, but, to get ESPNU, I have to addon ESPN+ for and extra 5$/mth? This is getting crazy. For ten dollars more I can go Youtube TV and get channels I might actually watch. But, I am trying to keep my monthly bill down.

So, it appears that I do get ESPNU, although Sling doesn't list the current ESPNU programming as available in its guide. No guarantee that it will show our first game.

We moved beginning of August. I took that opportunity to cut the cord. Until today, I hadn’t gotten a streaming service, we were just using a fire stick and Amazon Prime, which we already had. I had an antenna for locals.

If it wasn’t for sports, I could have lived that way just fine. Today I signed up for Hulu + month long free trial. It has all of the ESPN channels and the SECN. It doesn’t have the NFLN but I don’t really need it.

I liked YouTube TV but it doesn’t work with the Fire Stick, currently, but will sometime this year.

Anyway, I should have done this a long time ago.

As far as Sling, I figured I was gonna need both O&B, and the $10 sports add on, so $35 total or Hulu + for $44. The month long trial, gives me time, either would be fine I reckon.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I no longer can receive channel 20 (The CW) Wbxx in Knoxville.
I have rescanned all TV's in my home several timed. The scan will not find these channels.
(The TV's are not all on the same Digital Antenna)

Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:
Have PSVue and was running on AppleTV 4K. It was horrible. Stopped, glitches, had to restart, etc. Completely unreliable. Had an extra Firestick 4K lying around and started using it. So far it's night and day better. I'm guessing the app for AppleTV just blows.

I left DTVNow a month or so again and went back to PSVue. I was trying to downgrade to a smaller plan but the new ATT version no longer had the plans I started with. Bottom line the new line up options were not good deals.

I'd like to go to YoutubeTV (PSVue doesn't have our CBS) but as of yet it doesn't work with Amazon devices.

It's kinda nuts how all the streaming services have something missing (locals, or NFL or ESPN or SECN...)

Reactions: BearCat204
Have PSVue and was running on AppleTV 4K. It was horrible. Stopped, glitches, had to restart, etc. Completely unreliable. Had an extra Firestick 4K lying around and started using it. So far it's night and day better. I'm guessing the app for AppleTV just blows.

I left DTVNow a month or so again and went back to PSVue. I was trying to downgrade to a smaller plan but the new ATT version no longer had the plans I started with. Bottom line the new line up options were not good deals.

I'd like to go to YoutubeTV (PSVue doesn't have our CBS) but as of yet it doesn't work with Amazon devices.

It's kinda nuts how all the streaming services have something missing (locals, or NFL or ESPN or SECN...)
Have you looked at Hulu? I left DTVNow for them about 3 months ago. Got all my locals. Only missing NFL Network.

Reactions: vader

You need to pay an extra $10 to get the SECN, which is why I'm now dropping Sling. I think Youtube is the way to go (though Hulu is another option)

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I love my Hulu Live - all my locals, ESPN, and the SEC network, plus all the other channels I ever watch and more.

Have you looked at Hulu? I left DTVNow for them about 3 months ago. Got all my locals. Only missing NFL Network.

It seemed to be missing something else I was interested in. Also doesn't carry our local ABC for some reason. Apparently who ever owns our locals are not ones to make deals with streaming companies. ATTNow (finally got our CBS) and YoutubeTV are the only ones with all 4.

Since moving to the Firestick, PSVue has been rock solid with great PQ. Must be crappy app for AppleTV.

Apparently Google and Amazon are playing nice and Youtube TV is supposed to be available for Amazon devices this Fall.

You need to pay an extra $10 to get the SECN, which is why I'm now dropping Sling. I think Youtube is the way to go (though Hulu is another option)

I'm looking at Youtube as well I hardly ever watch anything Live including sports so I like that Youtube TV has unlimited DVR storage.

It seemed to be missing something else I was interested in. Also doesn't carry our local ABC for some reason. Apparently who ever owns our locals are not ones to make deals with streaming companies. ATTNow (finally got our CBS) and YoutubeTV are the only ones with all 4.

Since moving to the Firestick, PSVue has been rock solid with great PQ. Must be crappy app for AppleTV.

Apparently Google and Amazon are playing nice and Youtube TV is supposed to be available for Amazon devices this Fall.
Once Youtuve becomes available on Firestick, I'm going to take a look.

How many on here have subscriptions with individual networks like CBS All Access, DC Universe or Hallmark Movies Now and what is your thoughts?

How many on here have subscriptions with individual networks like CBS All Access, DC Universe or Hallmark Movies Now and what is your thoughts?

Did CBS for a month since my streaming service didn't have it. Rearranged my antenna set up so I now get it OTA.

I've got CBS. Probably don't need it anymore. With all the content or there, it's hard to justify subscribing to a single channel unless they have something that you just can't do without. For me, theres just so much time I want to spend watching TV before it gets ridiculous.

I've got CBS. Probably don't need it anymore. With all the content or there, it's hard to justify subscribing to a single channel unless they have something that you just can't do without. For me, theres just so much time I want to spend watching TV before it gets ridiculous.

I got it for NFL games and any SEC game that isn't Bama. Given the other stuff I waste money on I figure that $6 even if I only watch 2 games I want would be worth it. However, I'm able to get it OTA so that's $6 in my pocket.

I got it for NFL games and any SEC game that isn't Bama. Given the other stuff I waste money on I figure that $6 even if I only watch 2 games I want would be worth it. However, I'm able to get it OTA so that's $6 in my pocket.

I told myself I would never get it but with buying the Blu-ray of Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 and really enjoying it and the new Picard series coming for the price I think it might be worth it.

Can you watch any CBS network show immediately after airing or do you you have to wait a couple days/week?

I watch more CBS shows than any other network with the CW second because of the DC shows followed by NBC (Chicago Fire/PD). I don't think I watched any ABC show and only Last Man Standing on Fox.

Just cut off Directv this week. They didn’t even try and stop me after 10+ years. Ran trials for a week during fall premieres to make sure we could hack it. So far well worth it.

Hulu (not live) - Love it! Very smooth buffering.
Philo - for Hallmark, Food, and Nick Jr. (happy wife)
CBS All Access - round out the network shows we watch. Not gonna lie. I was going to get it for Picard anyway.

Tried PSVue and the buffering was rough.
YouTube TV wasn’t on Firestick yet and didn’t cover our CBS locals. May look to consolidate if they ever pick that up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Just cut off Directv this week. They didn’t even try and stop me after 10+ years. Ran trials for a week during fall premieres to make sure we could hack it. So far we’ll worth it.

Hulu (not live) - Love it! Very smooth buffering.
Philo - for Hallmark, Food, and Nick Jr. (happy wife)
CBS All Access - round out the network shows we watch. Not gonna lie. I was going to get it for Picard anyway.

Tried PSVue and the buffering was rough.
YouTube TV wasn’t on Firestick yet and didn’t cover our CBS locals. May look to consolidate if they ever pick that up.
If you don't mind me asking what are you paying now vs. DirectTV.

We are currently paying right at $150 (1 DVR/1 Regular Box) on DirecTV and that's without any premiums like HBO, Showtime etc...

My regular box must have been damaged by surge thanks to a lighting strike on a transformer (about 20 yards from the house) about a week in a half ago. It also messed up my 55" Philips that I went ahead and replaced with Vizio V-Series 43" 4K. It also took out 3 LED light bulbs.

If you don't mind me asking what are you paying now vs. DirectTV.

We are currently paying right at $150 (1 DVR/1 Regular Box) on DirecTV and that's without any premiums like HBO, Showtime etc...

We were at $150 as well. Internet went up $15 because we lost our bundle (capped at 1TB per month). $40 for Hulu, CBS, and Philo. Planning on adding Disney+ in November. I've got a gap in sports right now, but I can't stomach it right now...

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
We were at $150 as well. Internet went up $15 because we lost our bundle (capped at 1TB per month). $40 for Hulu, CBS, and Philo. Planning on adding Disney+ in November. I've got a gap in sports right now, but I can't stomach it right now...
Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ will be a package when D+ drops ($13.99 I believe).

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ will be a package when D+ drops ($13.99 I believe).

Yep. I have the ad free version of Hulu right now. The Disney bundle will only be with add supported Hulu. Curious if they will offer an upgrade option. Because it would probably be a no brainer for me. My gut says that they are trying to normalize commercials again...

It was hard to give up the DVR, but not having to watch ads on Hulu makes up for it.

VN Store

Back