THE stench of last year

There are way too many fair weather fans:rolleyes:
10 ++ yrs of fair weather administration and football does it for some folk. Can’t keep selling fair weather products and expect everyone to keep buying. If Fulmer or Pruitt or both can’t sale a good product in a couple of yrs then I don’t know how it will get better. I have zero faith in our fair weather top booster.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Pretty dumb for a grown adult to hold a personal grudge against a bunch of 19-20 year olds he's never met.

Pretty immature.

We all want the team to do well. But if when they don't it sends your life into a spiral of depression and anger, that is a you problem not a UT problem.

Odds are that some of last year's freshmen will get a red shirt somewhere along the line, so that's four years of abstinence if I figured right. At your age, OP, you may never see another game, and that's sad. FYI, I'm old too and life is too short to give up Tennessee football.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Yes, last years team quit on season. But, they deserve a fresh start. New coach, new season and a new team. Hopefully, they will redeem the program this season. Give them a chance.

Yes, last years team quit on season. But, they deserve a fresh start. New coach, new season and a new team. Hopefully, they will redeem the program this season. Give them a chance.

Many of them did quit which I imagine is the impetus of OPs frustration. It’s like a bad bite of food, may be your favorite food, but sometimes you have to spit out the rotten bite.

With that said let’s see how the players apply themselves this Fall. I’m hoping they don’t quit after some adversity. If they do then it will take a few recruiting cycles to get rid of the losers.

Last year was a disaster, not question. Big part of that was coaching as that could have been the WORST staff in UT history (even worse than the Dooley staff his last year). I was very disappointed in the lack of effort from the players, but then when you know you are outcoached, outschemed, etc your effort suffers. Its just natural.

I am giving these coaches a chance to turn this around. I think the players will respond. Hell, no one goes to Tennessee or works as hard as they do to go 0-8!

Let's see, I was three years old when you started going to Vol games, I started following them when Doug Dickey was the coach, attended my first game when I was in the eighth grade, it was against Tulane, when Curt Watson was the running back. I've been through the Bill Battle years, the Johnny Majors years, Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. Like you, I have seen the good times and the bad, but I never gave up on the team. Coaches, yes, but not the players. There are a lot of good players that have worn the orange, and unfortunately, some of them have been the victims of poor coaching that failed to develop them. That's on the coaches, not the players. I believe that we finally have a coach to get us back to championship level. All that to say this; it isn't the players that are to blame. Bad AD hires, leading to bad coaching hires, leading to poor player development and game planning, but the root cause of the disaster that has been Tennessee football over the last decade has been a result of the Haslam family calling the shots and all decisions have come from them. If you want to quit on the team, that is your right. I have never given up on the team, but coaches, yes, when it became obvious they didn't have a clue.

Reactions: ptcarter
The state of the program good or bad will never change how passionate I am for UT football. Even if we are not currently contenders, the excitement is still there. Every program has stretches of suck. Through thick and thin brother. Go Vols!!!!!!

The state of the program good or bad will never change how passionate I am for UT football. Even if we are not currently contenders, the excitement is still there. Every program has stretches of suck. Through thick and thin brother. Go Vols!!!!!!
This. Life is too short to not watch the Vols play football. Granted it may make life a little shorter for some of us, but you only get to watch us play 12 or 13 days out of the year. Hopefully we will increase those games, but that’s also 350+ days we don’t watch each year.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
This. Life is too short to not watch the Vols play football. Granted it may make life a little shorter for some of us, but you only get to watch us play 12 or 13 days out of the year. Hopefully we will increase those games, but that’s also 350+ days we don’t watch each year.

Many "fair weather" fans will jump on the Pruitt ship if we go 3-1 or 4-0 through the first 4 games, OP included.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Many "fair weather" fans will jump on the Pruitt ship if we go 3-1 or 4-0 through the first 4 games, OP included.

I have to admit, I didn't watch many games after October last year. I'm mad at myself for that. I became way too apathetic after I was completely deflated knowing that Butch's fate was sealed. I just didn't want to go through what we did again.

Man I was born in 94 and have earliest memories losing to LSU and Auburn in the SEC championship. I went to UT from 12 to 16 during THE WORST stretch of football in Tennessee history (!!) and somehow im still rooting for the vols and spending hundreds of dollars from my meager entry level salary to go back to Knoxville and Auburn this season. You can watch some damn football games.

The stench of last years team will take years to dissipate. I have gone to most home games since 1956, when Johnny Majors played safety and TB. I always thought that I could not live w/o watching the mighty Vols in the fall. Well, my life may be over soon, cause I will not attend a game until all the players returning from last years team ( the worst in 120 years) have left Knoxville. Call me a fair-weather fan ( I AM) if you like, last years fiasco cured my Big Orange Addiction.

It's only a game and you can't let one or two or even three seasons ruin the great sport of Tennessee football in the glorious fall.
I hated to see the Vols struggle so badly last year as well, but this is a new season and hope abounds, until it doesn't.....so get excited and cheer a little louder for the Orange and White.
Go Vols

I will say this. It was brutal sitting through some of those games, but I still came to every one. Lets use some common sense here though. We haven't had a good coach in several years now dating back to before Dooley. Lane Kiffin dosen't count b/c he was not here long enough to build anything. Now we finally have a good football coach, and you can see it by the way he runs the program. I think we are all quite a bit more confident that this is finally heading in the right direction and fast.

The stench of last years team will take years to dissipate. I have gone to most home games since 1956, when Johnny Majors played safety and TB. I always thought that I could not live w/o watching the mighty Vols in the fall. Well, my life may be over soon, cause I will not attend a game until all the players returning from last years team ( the worst in 120 years) have left Knoxville. Call me a fair-weather fan ( I AM) if you like, last years fiasco cured my Big Orange Addiction.

We can't blame these kids. Not their fault they had the poorest coaching staff ever. Although on paper they should have been the best, but led by the worst (Garbage in/Garbage out). Simple! I too saw Johnny in the 50's. I was a student when they called a moving van on Battle. Seen a lot of ups & downs. But last yr was the worst. It will make our next high the sweetest. Just don't blame these kids. CJP will get 110% out of them. We've got to have it with this schedule. Let's hope he is a Hall of Fame Coach in the making.

Man I was born in 94 and have earliest memories losing to LSU and Auburn in the SEC championship. I went to UT from 12 to 16 during THE WORST stretch of football in Tennessee history (!!) and somehow im still rooting for the vols and spending hundreds of dollars from my meager entry level salary to go back to Knoxville and Auburn this season. You can watch some damn football games.
That's what a fan is... You can't just turn genuine fanhood on and off like a light switch. "The Heart Wants What It Wants"

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

VN Store

Back